Sponsored

GATORB8

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JLURe
Jeep has stated that they will be adding chargers at major trail heads including the Rubicon. Even a 40-50 mile rock crawling range would allow you to run it both directions and I'm sure it will be more like 100 miles+ by the time we can buy one.
Better have a campground next to it. 70 KWh is a long time at level 2.
Sponsored

Zandcwhite

First Name
Zach
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 jlur
Better have a campground next to it. 70 KWh is a long time at level 2.
Solar generates DC, if they are smart they'll install a battery bank and DC fast chargers rather than converting to AC and going level 2.

LooselyHeldPlans

First Name
Brandon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 3.6 JLUR
Occupation
Several
I don't have a 4xe, but I would expect the off-road mileage to be better than on-road due to reduced wind resistance. Are they really only getting a 10-mile electric range?
I've seen between 5 and 10 for real offloading, not flat dirt roads.

10 was optimistic.

GATORB8

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JLURe
Solar generates DC, if they are smart they'll install a battery bank and DC fast chargers rather than converting to AC and going level 2.
I would assume theyā€™d upgrade the charging system if they go BEV. No DC for the 4xe, so a solid 2+ hrs at level 2 for the 17 kWh.

GATORB8

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JLURe
I don't have a 4xe, but I would expect the off-road mileage to be better than on-road due to reduced wind resistance. Are they really only getting a 10-mile electric range?
Low range and vehicle operation are probably a part of that, the battery is powering all the vehicle systems and cooling itself and the cabin for a long time if your stretching it over a couple hours.

We always run hybrid mode, which will kick the ice on in low. We can run off road all day and still have charge left.

Sponsored

LCW

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
(formerly '22 JLUR) '23 Bronco Badlands 2dr 2.7
Loving the ā€œLJā€ proportions! This is what the 2-door should be!

However - we donā€™t need more fā€™ing power out of an electric power train. We need more RANGE!!! Repeat after me Stellantisā€¦. MOAR RAAAAAAANGE!!!

JEEPmole

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL Willys 2dr
It's crazy when you think about it, even the most fuel efficient gas engines are better heaters than motors. Of course the anti-EV crowd will tell us all about mines and charging grids but never admit that their beloved ICE vehicles literally use more fuel to produce heat than they use to produce motion.
Ha! I'd love to see the math behind that calculation. Do they "literally" use more fuel to produce heat than motion in every engine configuration? It seems like they all produce about 220 degrees of heat regardless of the horsepower/torque output. I always considered the generation of heat a byproduct of combustion engines, and not as the primary result (that being the turning of a crankshaft) of fuel consumption.

The lucky thing is, electric is the future and generating electricity for the power grid creates absolutely no heat or pollution whatsoever! Also, electricity is limitless and there will never be shortages (like with fossil fuels) once everyone is using the grid to power their homes, personal electronics, and vehicles! [Sarcasm]

FWIW, I'm not part of the anti-EV crowd. I would consider a future 4xE if it was less expensive, offered as a 2dr, and some of the issues were ironed out, as I could run on electric only for most of my short commutes. I'd also love a 0-60 2 second Wrangler. Until the range increases, charging takes less time, and the charging grid expands, I don't really see it as being practical. Especially for a vehicle that you drive 50 to 100 miles to some remote trail.

LCW

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
(formerly '22 JLUR) '23 Bronco Badlands 2dr 2.7
150 miles of range won't be enough to convince some people, but for me it'd be perfectly good. We could do everything with it other than long towing-camping trips.

Would make for an awesome daily. When these are ready for sale.... They'll be too expensive, I'm sure of it :(
150 mile range on the road would be about 15 miles off road. The TFL guys got like 2.5-3 miles on a 4xe that started off saying 27 miles of range or thereabouts.

GATORB8

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JLURe
Ha! I'd love to see the math behind that calculation. Do they "literally" use more fuel to produce heat than motion in every engine configuration? It seems like they all produce about 220 degrees of heat regardless of the horsepower/torque output. I always considered the generation of heat a byproduct of combustion engines, and not as the primary result (that being the turning of a crankshaft) of fuel consumption.

The lucky thing is, electric is the future and generating electricity for the power grid creates absolutely no heat or pollution whatsoever! Also, electricity is limitless and there will never be shortages (like with fossil fuels) once everyone is using the grid to power their homes, personal electronics, and vehicles! [Sarcasm]

FWIW, I'm not part of the anti-EV crowd. I would consider a future 4xE if it was less expensive, offered as a 2dr, and some of the issues were ironed out, as I could run on electric only for most of my short commutes. I'd also love a 0-60 2 second Wrangler. Until the range increases, charging takes less time, and the charging grid expands, I don't really see it as being practical. Especially for a vehicle that you drive 50 to 100 miles to some remote trail.
Thatā€™s one of the great things about the 4xe as a PHEV. Ignore that itā€™s an EV and think of it as a hybrid you can charge. Electric range isnā€™t the primary draw for me, the power and cash on the hood was. Overall fuel cost is a nice benefit, but in the overall view, fuel cost delta is still a fairly low part of operation and the electric motor is free thanks to the tax credit.

Zandcwhite

First Name
Zach
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 jlur

As discussed earlier, the actual energy contained in a gallon of gas is approximately 47k horsepower, pretty obvious that no engine makes anywhere near that burning a gallon of fuel? A simple Google search will tell you what was posted earlier, even the most efficient vehicle engines are in the 40% thermal efficiency range. It doesn't take any math to know that 40% is less than half... guess where the rest of the energy goes? Incandescent light builds are even more inefficient, producing more heat Emeryville lenergy than light.

Sponsored

Joe98

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019, 2 door Sport S, Mojito!
We don't know the range.
Charging electric vehicles take hours!

How about this 2 door towing a box trailer. Apart from camping gear it could also carry a generator powered by fuel. Use the generator to charge the battery.

Leave the box trailer at the trail head/camp site and return there afterwards.

With a box trailer we could tow quite a large generator.

2nd 392

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Grand Cherokee srt.V10 Dodge 4x
We don't know the range.

How about this 2 door towing a box trailer. Apart from camping gear it could also carry a generator powered by fuel. Use the generator to charge the battery.

Would also be a great business opportunity as they become more common. Saw a gas powered van towing a diesel powered generator charging an electric car a few days ago and Iā€™m sure it wasnā€™t a cheap charge. Trail charging.......WOWā€” set your price! Highest bidder gets charged first! But mount the generator in a Gladiator so you can get to the desperately stranded where price is no object!!!!šŸ¤‘šŸ˜šŸ˜‰

GATORB8

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JLURe
We don't know the range.

An inverter generator that can do 50 amps of 240 constant is crazy expensive, so youā€™d be stuck with a loud one soothing you to sleep.

392scat

First Name
William
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 challenger scat pack
So it can drive over mildly uneven terrain? What a boring ass video.

Rubi SoHo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR-XR
Occupation
Physician
I would buy this Magneto 2.0 in a heart beat if Jeep would ever produce the dam thing!! And assuming they don't price gouge us like they did with the 392!!

jeep-wrangler-magneto-2-0-concept.jpg
Yep, I could see a place for it. Trailered to the trailhead and with 100mi or so of range off-road with the type of throttling that requires it could be ideal.
Sponsored