Sponsored

Zandcwhite

First Name
Zach
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 jlur
I used to routinely (4 or more times a year) make the trip below in less than six hours with one passenger, two 70 lbs dogs, towing a 2600-2800 lbs trailer. That’s less than six hours from door-to-door. One stop, which probably took 10 minutes.

Please explain to me in what universe this is even remotely close to possible with any EV available today.

918BA8AE-3206-4FE6-B9C6-55CDC9FF8F7E.jpeg
A rivian r1t or r1s would need a 20 minute charge for that~400 mile trip. I'd say an extra 10 minutes is more than remotely close. Add in the fact that it will tow 3 times what a jlu will or 4+ times what a jl will and the fact that it will top out ~50 miles per hour higher than a Jeep, I'd argue it could very easily make the trip faster.
Sponsored

multicam

First Name
Tanner
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 4Runner, 2019 JLR
Vehicle Showcase
A rivian r1t or r1s would need a 20 minute charge for that~400 mile trip. I'd say an extra 10 minutes is more than remotely close. Add in the fact that it will tow 3 times what a jlu will or 4+ times what a jl will and the fact that it will top out ~50 miles per hour higher than a Jeep, I'd argue it could very easily make the trip faster.
This article makes that seem unlikely-

https://insideevs.com/news/552133/rivian-r1t-towed-2700miles/amp/

No matter how much I’m towing with gas or diesel it still takes 5-10 minutes to fill up… and I can do it anywhere. The closer you get to the R1T’s towing limit, however, the faster you’re going to deplete the battery and your stops sure as hell won’t be 5-10 minutes.

I’m not referring to towing with my jeep, I’m talking about large travel trailers, cargo trailers, etc. Stuff too large to tow with even a JLU (mine is a JL).

Toycrusher

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR
Nah. Check TFL, they couldn't even run their normal tow loop before running out of energy, and that was with 8500 lbs, not the claimed 11,000. And I've yet to hear of a charger putting out 100k for more than a few minutes. Count on an hour plus per stop every 70 miles or so

Botanicalstig

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Na
I used to routinely (4 or more times a year) make the trip below in less than six hours with one passenger, two 70 lbs dogs, towing a 2600-2800 lbs trailer. That’s less than six hours from door-to-door. One stop, which probably took 10 minutes.

Please explain to me in what universe this is even remotely close to possible with any EV available today.

Easy. Here's the route (Hyundai ioniq 5, no trailer taken into consideration, but can tug your camper + dogs). 10 minutes in Valdosta, 15 minutes in Gainesville. Plenty of other stops along the way, it's doable with the trailer with probably 4 stops. Maybe 1 hour of charging time, not 25mins. I already agreed with you that long distance towing isn't ideal. Worst part is unhitching at Walmart so you can back up to the station.... I chose not to bite the bullet yet either, just trying to show you that there's no reason to be so bitter about it :)

For people without trailers, long distance travel is easy. Add in the fact that you have no maintenance & cheap fuel... It's not such a bad thing.

SmartSelect_20220416-090733_ABRP.jpg

Zandcwhite

First Name
Zach
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 jlur
Nah. Check TFL, they couldn't even run their normal tow loop before running out of energy, and that was with 8500 lbs, not the claimed 11,000. And I've yet to hear of a charger putting out 100k for more than a few minutes. Count on an hour plus per stop every 70 miles or so
The comparison was towing a 2500lb trailer... guess what tripling the weight towed does to a gas vehicle range?

Sponsored

Toycrusher

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR
The comparison was towing a 2500lb trailer... guess what tripling the weight towed does to a gas vehicle range?
Agreed. Batteries are vastly inferior to liquid fuel. 6lbs of diesel is equivalent to 1000+ lbs of battery. Ice power plants are vastly inferior to electric motors.
Pick your poison

Botanicalstig

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Na
All of the Charging times assume no waiting for others. That can add significant time.
In 4-5 years of ev driving I have never experienced that, but yes that could be a problem if adoption increases faster than infrastructure. Bigger issue I've come across is getting certain stations to accept payment 🤣

multicam

First Name
Tanner
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 4Runner, 2019 JLR
Vehicle Showcase
Easy. Here's the route (Hyundai ioniq 5, no trailer taken into consideration, but can tug your camper + dogs). 10 minutes in Valdosta, 15 minutes in Gainesville. Plenty of other stops along the way, it's doable with the trailer with probably 4 stops. Maybe 1 hour of charging time, not 25mins. I already agreed with you that long distance towing isn't ideal. Worst part is unhitching at Walmart so you can back up to the station.... I chose not to bite the bullet yet either, just trying to show you that there's no reason to be so bitter about it :)

For people without trailers, long distance travel is easy. Add in the fact that you have no maintenance & cheap fuel... It's not such a bad thing.

Jeep Wrangler JL EJS 2022: Jeep Wrangler Magneto 2.0 Concept SmartSelect_20220416-090733_ABRP
4 stops?! I’ve made that drive with zero stops! (I was alone…. Wife and dogs do not have bladders to support that)

Anyway, thanks for showing that, I do realize that long trips in EVs are feasible but I’m just saying that in my experience an EV absolutely would not work for me right now. Just last year I did a trip from Texas to Florida then after a few weeks from Florida to California and we were towing the whole time. Couldn’t have done it with an EV at least not in the time we had.

This is why I resent legislation- and people who support politicians who push legislation- that makes the traditional ICE more expensive. Let the EVs succeed on their own merits. Don’t make driving my jeep unnecessarily expensive.
Sponsored