imjester77

First Name
Frank
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLU Eco Diesel; 2014 JKU Sahara
Vehicle Showcase
So as the title states, I had my Check engine light come on on the way to the Valley in south Texas. I get almost to Edinburgh and go into limp mode. Fun times. Do the job I was sent to do and then called dealers to see about getting trouble codes read and decide if I can make the 4 hour trek home safely.

NOT ONE of the 3 dealers in the area would see my jeep because they did not have a diesel tech. I wanted to know if i can drive the damn thing not get it fixed. I would take it in when i get home. NOT one would even read the codes.

I pulled the batteries and reset the check engine light just to get the limp mode to go away and drove home.

Took it in and the dealer immediately diagnosed it as a stuck EGR Valve. HMMMm?

Anyways, Par for the course thus the reason why i bought the extended warranty.

BTW I now after owning for 14 months have just under 35k miles. So, in the grand scheme probably not doing too bad.
Sponsored

gerlbaum

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Wrangle Sport Diesel
There are also a couple threads about EGR failures on the 2.0. I am trying to think if this is a turbo related issue but I can’t see how.

Can you pull the valve and clean it? I used to do that to my 03 powerstroke all the time.

gerlbaum

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Might be worth a shot. On my
Powerstroke it took about 10 min to do it. I would do it every other oil change or there about.

gerlbaum

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Might be worth a shot. On my
Powerstroke it took about 10 min to do it. I would do it every other oil change or there about.

EDIT: There appears to be much better videos than I posted. On the plus side, it looks like a new valve is $120 although I understand the principle of having paid for a warranty. Might see if you can get reimbursed if you submit the bill to jeep cares.

OP
OP
imjester77

imjester77

First Name
Frank
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLU Eco Diesel; 2014 JKU Sahara
Vehicle Showcase
Since I do all my own work on the Jeep, this looks well worth a try. also I am still learning on Diesel motors. I've always been Gas motors only until this jeep, so, it is a learning curve for me, thus the added expense of the extended warranty.

Sponsored

gerlbaum

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
They’re actually MUCH simpler than gas motors even with the DPF system. That got a bad rap because the early versions had issues and they’re expensive but they’re no more or less of a headache than the evap and cat systems on gas cars. DPFs have been out for a decade now. Yes, they can fail, yes I’d prefer not to have them but I’m willing to deal with it for the 442 lb/ft of torque at 2k.

if you locate the egr valve, it just has 2 bolts holding it in. Once unbolted, that can be hard to pull out because they have o rings. I would take the o rings off, fill a cup with purple power, and set it top so only the valve portion is submerged (if that makes sense). Then I change my oil, and by the time I’m done with the oil change, the part has soaked long enough.

PillowFightr

First Name
Sam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon Diesel
Occupation
Data Center Engineer
They’re actually MUCH simpler than gas motors even with the DPF system. That got a bad rap because the early versions had issues and they’re expensive but they’re no more or less of a headache than the evap and cat systems on gas cars. DPFs have been out for a decade now. Yes, they can fail, yes I’d prefer not to have them but I’m willing to deal with it for the 442 lb/ft of torque at 2k.

if you locate the egr valve, it just has 2 bolts holding it in. Once unbolted, that can be hard to pull out because they have o rings. I would take the o rings off, fill a cup with purple power, and set it top so only the valve portion is submerged (if that makes sense). Then I change my oil, and by the time I’m done with the oil change, the part has soaked long enough.
Looks easy enough from the video.
Do you know how often this should be done??

My Jeep has 22K miles on it, wondering if I should do the cleaning now or wait longer

gerlbaum

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I don’t. When I did it on my powerstroke I just didn’t it like once every 10k miles. I sold that and have a 12v Cummins which has none of this. For my Jeep, I plan on doing it once every 15k, or at least inspecting it. I mean it’s not an expensive valve (when Covid is not in session) so I may just leave it until it fails or keep a second one on hand and just swap it out if there’s an issue.
Sponsored