Sponsored

Effectiveness of Cold-Air Induction for 3.6 JL?

OldBackpacker

First Name
Dennis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JL - Sport
Occupation
Retired
Expecting my 3.6 JL 2-door in a couple weeks. Wondering about the effectiveness of C/A as far as MPG and Performance. Have C/A on my Challenger R/T and am happy with it as MPG is not really my goal in it. Does anyone have real world results to share so that I can make an intelligent decision? Please advise.
Sponsored

BillyHW

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
-
I don't see how the air could get any colder as the intake is right in the corner under the hood.

Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but those cold air intakes only help slightly by increasing air flow a little bit. But high flow filters are likely to not block as much dirt. I'd rather the engine was protected from dirt, which is better for long term reliability than get 5 extra HP, which only a dyno would notice on a good day.

The stock intake appears designed to maximize water fording capability. Why would you want to compromise that?

That being said, it would be interesting to see someone dyno the stock intake vs the Mopar Cold Air intake.

BumpyTrail

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon Hard Rock
I don't see how the air could get any colder as the intake is right in the corner under the hood.

Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but those cold air intakes only help slightly by increasing air flow a little bit. But high flow filters are likely to not block as much dirt. I'd rather the engine was protected from dirt, which is better for long term reliability than get 5 extra HP, which only a dyno would notice on a good day.

The stock intake appears designed to maximize water fording capability. Why would you want to compromise that?

That being said, it would be interesting to see someone dyno the stock intake vs the Mopar Cold Air intake.
I am waiting for that exact dyno video! There are several on YouTube for about every other engine out there but not the JLs yet. The CAI also requires a hole cut in the hood. The kit includes a bezel to go in the hole. So it’s fresh air from outside the engine bay. The CAI and bezel are to the right of the snorkel and above the hood.

DEFD5B55-FB15-44FB-BD54-B3F21C586BE5.jpeg

BillyHW

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
-
I am waiting for that exact dyno video! There are several on YouTube for about every other engine out there but not the JLs yet. The CAI also requires a hole cut in the hood. The kit includes a bezel to go in the hole. So it’s fresh air from outside the engine bay. The CAI and bezel are to the right of the snorkel and above the hood.

DEFD5B55-FB15-44FB-BD54-B3F21C586BE5.jpeg
Okay, I didn't realize that it required a hole cut in the hood. I thought that was just for the snorkle. So I guess the air really might be colder. But it's also just going to suck in dirt if you are driving behind someone on a dirt road.

BumpyTrail

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon Hard Rock
Okay, I didn't realize that it required a hole cut in the hood. I thought that was just for the snorkle. So I guess the air really might be colder. But it's also just going to suck in dirt if you are driving behind someone on a dirt road.
Yes it will. Haha. There is a thread regarding the snorkel which some have talked about adding just to raise to air intake height for cleaner air. Those people said they’d probably never forge water as they feel there are too many electronics on the JL.

Sponsored

The Great Grape Ape

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 JKU AspenX 5spd , 2015 JK Sport 6spd
The difference will be minimal.

You notice a minute difference with a drop-in replacement K&N filter too, but neither will make a huge difference, and an external CAI just adds more wind resistance and noise.

Buy a K&N filter from the dealer at/near time of purchase, and then it’s covered by your warranty if you’re concerned about things like silica dust, etc, and essentially costs as much as all the paper replacements over the lifetime.

Is it a difference, yes, is it noticeable... that’s all relative, but you’ll need to know what your looking for and appreciate small changes that as Billy mentions would mostlybe noticed more by electronic means that can differentiate the 1-3% change.

CashMonkey

First Name
Rolo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Grey 2009 Honda Accord EX-L Sedan 5SPDMT Black 2012 Nissan Altima 2.5SL Sedan 6SPDAT
Vehicle Showcase
Yes it will. Haha. There is a thread regarding the snorkel which some have talked about adding just to raise to air intake height for cleaner air. Those people said they’d probably never forge water as they feel there are too many electronics on the JL.
LOL but Jeep said everything electronic in the JL/JLU is waterproof including the push button start, navi/audio all of that. So I don't know why they wouldn't want to try it out.

TIDALWAVE

First Name
CHUCK
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT Convertible, 2013 CHEVY SILVERADO, 2018 JLUR
LOL but Jeep said everything electronic in the JL/JLU is waterproof including the push button start, navi/audio all of that. So I don't know why they wouldn't want to try it out.
Be the first JL to ford a river up to the windows!!! Let us know how well the electronics survived.

Merlin28

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Peter
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
3 JK Sahara builds , JL Rubicon, 95 XJ build
CAI doesvery little. Waste of money guys sorry...

CashMonkey

First Name
Rolo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Grey 2009 Honda Accord EX-L Sedan 5SPDMT Black 2012 Nissan Altima 2.5SL Sedan 6SPDAT
Vehicle Showcase
Be the first JL to ford a river up to the windows!!! Let us know how well the electronics survived.
Guess sarcasm doesn't really translate well through text. Jeez calm down little buddy :giggle:

Sponsored

Rockmaninoff

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Website
sophistijeep.blogspot.com
Vehicle(s)
MY2014 JKU Overland (RHD) A/T, Mercedes E-class MY2017
Buy a K&N filter ... and essentially costs as much as all the paper replacements over the lifetime.
A big "nope" from me. I'm a perfectionist and I will never be happy how the filter is oiled and will be constantly thinking about oil vapors getting sucked inside.

There are dry filters that K&N makes though. Not sure if they are better than what others make.

Rockmaninoff

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Website
Vehicle(s)
Wrong info. Not even a submarine is waterproof on the inside. Yes the JL interior is water resistant for now but one day when those seals give in... good luck walking or swimming back home.

More importantly, if anyone's fording water and there's water inside upto the start/stop button, you need a damn boat :cwl:

Rockmaninoff

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Website
Vehicle(s)
Wondering about the effectiveness of C/A as far as MPG and Performance.
Even if it has a tiny impact on fuel consumption, it's not going to cover the costs.

You will absolutely not notice a difference in performance with just a CAI unless you put it on a dyno. Again, real-world fluctuations in air temperatures, etc. will hide the CAI's impact on performance.

What you get though is an amazing sound. Worth it just for the sound.

The Great Grape Ape

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 JKU AspenX 5spd , 2015 JK Sport 6spd
A big "nope" from me. I'm a perfectionist and I will never be happy how the filter is oiled and will be constantly thinking about oil vapors getting sucked inside.

There are dry filters that K&N makes though. Not sure if they are better than what others make.
I’d be less worried about oil vapor than plain misted oil in larger quantities. There’s only so much vapor going to come off that filter, and unless it was all at once, the impact would be minimal. Also with the detergents in the gasoline, their impact is likely reduced further still.

I can understand the concern, but to me keeping the filter cleaner on a shorter interval is more important, and the Silica issue I mentioned before is a far FAR greater problem. Even just plain dust here in town and in the park will likely pose more of a challenge to my uses will a paper filter, which will noticeably dirty-up in a single outing / trip.

However whether oil or silica concerns, it’s covered by the warranty as an authorized dealer installed part, so I’m not concerned short term, and long term my experience with them has taught me that they haven’t shown any major issues past the filter, and I haven’t shown unusual engine problems either. And while I have seen other variants of washable filters that look more attractive, their not being a dealer option makes them much less attractive for that reason, but may be an option once warranty expires.
I realise it might be an issue on a microscopic level with super finely atomized oil or silica, but I’m more worried about the bigger issues that present themselves sooner and more drastically, like the valve issues on DI engines, and atomized oil injestion in turbos, etc. I don’t get that feeling from running a washable filter.

To each their own, you experiences, environment / conditions and use-case may be be different from mine that make it less attractive, but for me the drop in filter was effective and economical.
Your mileage may vary fo course.

Rockmaninoff

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Website
Vehicle(s)
I’d be less worried about oil vapor than plain misted oil in larger quantities.
However whether oil or silica concerns, it’s covered by the warranty as an authorized dealer installed part, so I’m not concerned short term, ....
Yes I meant mist. Doesn't make a difference to me because I don't want either on my supercharger :)

As for the dealer thing... not sure how things are over there legally but dealers here get 3rd party shops to do work on a brandnew vehicles (e.g. custom paint jobs, etc.) even before pickup and the manufacturer wouldn't cover any of those under their warranty. So any warranty should come from the dealer.

Have you thought about using a prefilter as well?
Sponsored