legacy_etu

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
23 Glad. Mojave, 16 JKU Sahara, 20 Supra
<snip>

The joy of driving top off in silence can't be underestimated!
I went golfing yesterday ……and got a gas golf cart.
Sucked having to listen to that thing versus the electric for 18 holes.
Sponsored

Jocko

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Hydro Blue 4xe Rubicon
I like EVs but the 4xe weighs 700 lbs more than the regular 2.0. Off-road that extra mass not helpful. Also, once the battery is depleted it will be far slower than a regular 2.0. Not sure how the hybrid system works so maybe some power is retained in the battery for full throttle reserves….
Yeah I'm not sure why you even make that statement if you don't know how it works. As has been stated over and over again, when the battery is at "0%" it actually still has 15% left. Battery's at that level charge very efficiently, so it's easy for the hybrid system to keep it at that level all of the time. The 4xe of course can run without the ICE on, but at no point does it run without the electric motor active (either providing force or acting as a generator during braking).

Regarding off roading: while you are certainly not wrong about the increased mass, one should keep the much higher torque numbers in mind. Especially given that the electric motor has full torque at all times.

Slumpbuster

First Name
Andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22 4xe Rubicon
Occupation
Air Traffic Controller
I'm not an anti-EV redneck and I'm getting the 2.0. Its not going to be a commuter car, its going to be a travel, touring, off-road adventure car. I have no use for the extra weight, worse mileage and reduced range of the 4xe. And the 2.0 is plenty fast. I drove a '21 JLUR 2.0 for 800 miles, including mountains, offroad desert and canyon driving, and averaged 23 mpg. The only benefit the 4xe would have given me is a better parking spot at the inn.

Sounds like the Diesel would be a better choice for you.

Gorilla83

First Name
Andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Hydro Blue JLUR 4XE, 2021 Tesla 3 Performance
Occupation
Tech and Real Estate Guy
The biggest positive surprise for me on my 4XE was just how QUIET it really is. The power/torque/electric efficiency were known and expected, but it just drives really really smoothly.

michail

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Sahara 4xe
Yeah I'm not sure why you even make that statement if you don't know how it works. As has been stated over and over again, when the battery is at "0%" it actually still has 15% left. Battery's at that level charge very efficiently, so it's easy for the hybrid system to keep it at that level all of the time. The 4xe of course can run without the ICE on, but at no point does it run without the electric motor active (either providing force or acting as a generator during braking).

Regarding off roading: while you are certainly not wrong about the increased mass, one should keep the much higher torque numbers in mind. Especially given that the electric motor has full torque at all times.
I really wish Jeep reported the true battery % level independent of range. They were probably worried about confusing people but it's made it even worse. I took % off my display and just track range.

Or people may get angry it charges so fast in the low end and complain it doesn't do it to 100%. I guess Jeep couldn't win either way.

Sponsored

alpha1847

First Name
Angelo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Wrangler 4xe
I like EVs but the 4xe weighs 700 lbs more than the regular 2.0. Off-road that extra mass not helpful. Also, once the battery is depleted it will be far slower than a regular 2.0. Not sure how the hybrid system works so maybe some power is retained in the battery for full throttle reserves….
The battery is never depleted. When EV range is 0%, it still functions as a standard hybrid, maintaining enough electrical power to supplement the intermittent high power demands that are always brief and almost always result in an opportunity to recapture some energy for the next surge. The 4xe will always be capable of the same peak power, just like every non-plugin hybrid.

CodyDog

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Rubicon 4XE /2021 F250 7.3L King Ranch FX4
If you are a good enough wheeler to be effected by the extra battery weight, you are in a class that represents less than 1% population of Wrangler owners. If this is the case, the extra weight is a valid point. With that being said, I would gamble to say that my Stock 4XE can do anything a non 4XE Rubicon can. Also keep in mind the 4XE has an inch more clearance and a lot more torque.
Sponsored