Sponsored

nowandthen

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 JKUR, 1989 Toyota standard cab pickup
He starts out kind of bashing the 4Xe. (Paraphrasing) "It's not as efficient as other models unless you plug it in everyday". Well a lot of people can, and will plug it in everyday. I likely will not, and I don't care!

At the end he finally says what is, to me, the most important point, the 4Xe is second only to the 392 in terms of HP and torque. HP and torque are what I care about! If I want fuel efficiency, I'll buy a Prisius.

I don't buy Jeeps for fuel efficiency, I buy them because when customized with big tires, and other mods, they're the best looking and most bad ass 4x4s on the planet!

In all, I think it's a pretty fair review. Clearly made for the general public, not for people that know and understand what Jeeps are about.

alpha1847

First Name
Angelo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Wrangler 4xe
He starts out kind of bashing the 4Xe. (Paraphrasing) "It's not as efficient as other models unless you plug it in everyday". Well a lot of people can, and will plug it in everyday. I likely will not, and I don't care!

At the end he finally says what is, to me, the most important point, the 4Xe is second only to the 392 in terms of HP and torque. HP and torque are what I care about! If I want fuel efficiency, I'll buy a Prisius.

I don't buy Jeeps for fuel efficiency, I buy them because when customized with big tires, and other mods, they're the best looking and most bad ass 4x4s on the planet!

In all, I think it's a pretty fair review. Clearly made for the general public, not for people that know and understand what Jeeps are about.
I rarely plug in my 4xe and I get 21 mpg in almost entirely urban, short trip driving and I do not baby the throttle. In the same driving with my former Mustang ecoboost, I got 18 mpg. I find this very impressive. It's easy to overlook that the larger PHEV battery also allows for more peak power in short bursts, even when mostly depleted. I think this benefits real world mpg more than the EPA estimates.

Sponsored

2021Nacho

First Name
Eddie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 jlu Rubicon, 2015 Jk sport
Occupation
Semi-retired
I don't understand the point of the 4XE, I get about 20mpg in my 21 JLUR and 17-18 in my 15JKsport and neither one carries the extra weight of the 4XE....I also don't live in a city where I would commute with it.

Ratiogear

First Name
Justin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 4xe Rubicon
I don't understand the point of the 4XE, I get about 20mpg in my 21 JLUR and 17-18 in my 15JKsport and neither one carries the extra weight of the 4XE....I also don't live in a city where I would commute with it.
You don't understand the point of the 4xe. But you immediately say you don't live in a city where you would commute with it?

Dunno champ, sounds like you understand it well enough.

nowandthen

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 JKUR, 1989 Toyota standard cab pickup
I explained in an earlier post: Hp and torque second only to the 392. It's not about mileage, at least for me. Not everything is about MPG.

Want to run 'em? :)

I want a Jeep that can get up and go when I need it. Passing for example. My '14 JKUR Pentastar with 6 speed manual is OK, but that's it, just OK. I want more. :devil:

You must be running stock tire size to get that kind of mileage. I run 37's with 4.88 gears. My '14 JKUR routinely gets 13.5 MPG. I don't baby it but I don't run it hard either (most of the time, I think :)).

Last edited:

alpha1847

First Name
Angelo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Wrangler 4xe
Do either of those have 375hp, 470lbs-ft of torque and a 0-60 time of 6 seconds?

Sponsored

SKTexas

First Name
Sonny
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 4xe Sahara
You don't understand the point of the 4xe. But you immediately say you don't live in a city where you would commute with it?

Dunno champ, sounds like you understand it well enough.
Bust out the Chart!

SnB4xe

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Wrangler High Altitude 4xe
I think the primary purpose is to reduce emissions. Many use cases are such where the vehicle can be driven entirely on electric power and the ICE engine rarely turns on. PHEVs are also "training wheels" for the transition to full BEV. Manufacturers and consumers can cut their teeth on PHEVs and then use what they learned when the full BEV models come available.

However,
You have touched on a valid point. PHEVs are really bad ICE vehicles and bad Electric vehicles. They are not superior at either discipline. However, manufacturers can produce more PHEVs with the same battery supply compared to full BEV models so that is a short term benefit.

My wife's 4xe drives 100% electric. The only time the engine is used is when we take it to the mountains. Which is every 6-8 weeks or so. Trying to make it more frequent but time hasn't allowed that yet. :(

Flieger

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 4Xe Rubicon
OMG, plug it in Every. Single. Day.

Tragedy!!

Throw away your smart phones, what pieces of junk they turned out to be!

I'm at 23.8 lifetime mpg, and slowly rising. I drove the first 3000 miles like a maniac on vacation and traveling.

Now that we have been using it at home as a daily driver, plugging in, you know, Every. Single. Night. we are operating 80% or better on battery.

One tank of gas lasts a couple of weeks even though we drive it 7 days a week.

EPA ratings are bunk.

Real world mpg, this thing rocks, and beats every Wrangler before it.

Flieger

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 4Xe Rubicon
I think you nailed it.

Live in an urban or city setting and want a Wrangler? 4xE.

Don't? Don't get a 4xE.
Sponsored