Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU Sahara
  • Banned
Like the Supertramp 1970's song I went on an errand today, and in route, realized that if I took the same route back home, I'd face a lot of construction traffic, so I took the long way home.

For me, in this situation, the long way home was a bit of a misnomer. I mean sure, more miles needed to be traveled, but not necessarily more time, as I formed a bit of a "U" shape in my drive home, taking 3 of the many park/highways of Westchester Co., NY , rather than the construction filled local roads I witnessed in route.

Then I started to think, based on what I've seen, as I seem to be forever tracking the rig's ability to estimate MPG, that this might end up saving gas. Like I suspect your rig as well, FCA has definitely skewed the transmission towards energy savings at speeds (of course within limits far less than the space/time continuum, let alone the mere sound barrier.)

Somewhat related, one Saturday morning as a child of the 70's, when I woke up late I found cars lining up behind one another in front of my home: 3 blocks away from the gas station.

"It can't be! " I thought to myself, but it was. The gasoline shortages had gotten so bad that people were willing to wait 3 blocks away for gas. You remember things like that.

Surely, if I saved gas today it wasn't much. But more than meeting federally mandated standards, I wonder if FCA always intended us to drive with less between us and the wind that (reasonable) speed would help us face.
Sponsored

Malve

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JLU, 2012 QX56
Occupation
CEO
I think all fellow motorcyclists and many Jeepers know what it's like to take a shortcut home from work...one that adds 25+miles.

For me a very short detour on the way in or home to visit the Pacific and count my blessings is rarely a bad idea.

ThirtyOne

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.jeepdoodles.com
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU Rubicon, 2017 Chevy Tahoe
Build Thread
Link
In the month since I got my Jeep I have avoided the direct way home through stoplights and stop and go traffic more times than I did in the previous 14 years.

I either Take a Back Road (nod to Rodney Atkins) which winds through country roads, or the campus route which takes me right through UNC.

And even though I am taking the longer route, I am still a little sad that I get home so soon.
Sponsored