Sponsored

Economy Lift Kit - Shock extension or not?

JeepJL18

First Name
Jeep
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I will not be participating in this forum as of 8/31/2018. It's been a fun ride, but it's time to move on. Take care. - Dustin
Occupation

TA1ton

First Name
Travis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler JLU Sport S
Occupation
Civil Engineer
Vehicle Showcase
This is the budget boost I am thinking of getting. My question is what is the importance of the shock extensions and should I get them?

https://www.extremeterrain.com/rubicon-express-2-economy-lift-kit-2018-jl.html

upload_2018-8-14_8-44-44.png
Short, simple answer: Shock extensions allow you to run the stock shocks, otherwise you would need to buy shocks that are 2 inches longer.

Long, convoluted answer: someone with more suspension knowledge will have to answer...but I’m sure it goes into travel, articulation, etc...

JIMBOX

First Name
JAMES
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
CHEROKEE TRAILHAWK/ JEEP GLADIATOR
Occupation
RETIRED
If it was a RUBY, then the STOCK shocks would be ADEQUET for the 2" lift, but

Stock shocks will work with the extensions, but your not gonna like the ride/cornering/quick stops--

You''ll need new RC/FOX/King shocks--RC are OK and RS9000XL are great-

Good luck

W.E.

JIMBO

StuntmanMike

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2007 Volvo XC70, 2000 Firebird Formula
Last edited:

Sangiuolo11

First Name
Guy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler JL Sport S
FYI, I know everyone looks down on Rouch Country, however IMO a spacer kit is a spacer kit. RC's is less than half the price of the one you posted, and it comes with shock extensions (which are a good idea).

Look up user LiteBrite on Youtube to see an install vid and to see it in action on their Rubi with 38's.

https://www.roughcountry.com/jeep-s...MIv_fc7frs3AIVEsNkCh314wa6EAQYASABEgKlnfD_BwE
Do I need to buy the premium N3 shocks that are an odd on on that link that you shared? Or is that different from the shock extensions.

Sorry I’m new to lift kits

Sponsored

mgroeger

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR 2.0T, 1991 YJ rock crawler
Occupation
I make microchips for a living.
Vehicle Showcase
FYI, I know everyone looks down on Rouch Country, however IMO a spacer kit is a spacer kit. RC's is less than half the price of the one you posted, and it comes with shock extensions (which are a good idea).

Look up user LiteBrite on Youtube to see an install vid and to see it in action on their Rubi with 38's.

https://www.roughcountry.com/jeep-s...MIv_fc7frs3AIVEsNkCh314wa6EAQYASABEgKlnfD_BwE
I second this. I am running the RC lift, it costs $180 AND it comes with new sway bar links for both front and rear. It would appear that this kit uses stock links which means the sway bar will no longer be level. Yes you want the shock extensions (RC includes them). A budget lift simply raises it exactly 2" off the top of the spring. That means you either need to buy 2" longer shocks or use the extensions to make your shock appear 2" longer.

I don't agree with Jimbo that you could run the stock shocks if you had a Rubi. For that to be true that would mean that a Rubi runs the shock more compressed from factory OR it can actually safely extend 2" beyond what it is limited to on a stock Rubi.
Regardless of what you are putting the budget lift on you need the shock extensions.

Save yourself $200, get the proper size sway bar links, get the shock extensions if you decide to use stock shocks... it all comes with the RC, it's kind of a no brainer. I'm shocked that people are actually buying the Rubicon Express one.

mgroeger

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
BTW... if this is your first time doing this the "2 hour job max" comment on there website is BS. Even someone who's done them before that's pushing it. I did mine by myself and took my time with no problems. Won't say how long because it's embarrassing :) but someone else on the forum took as long as me. IM if you want and I'll give you my phone number if you want some tips on what I learned.

OP
OP

JeepJL18

First Name
Jeep
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I will not be participating in this forum as of 8/31/2018. It's been a fun ride, but it's time to move on. Take care. - Dustin
Occupation

Actually, this is exactly what I am looking for. I appreciate this.

StuntmanMike

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2007 Volvo XC70, 2000 Firebird Formula
Do I need to buy the premium N3 shocks that are an odd on on that link that you shared? Or is that different from the shock extensions.

Sorry I’m new to lift kits

No, you can get either or, but you don't need both. Shock extensions will allow you to use your existing shocks, effectively making them 2" longer to accommodate the lift. If you order the shocks, they should be 2" longer than stock and the extensions would not be needed.

I'm not familiar with those shocks, but I'm guessing they're not super high quality. Your shocks are fairly new with low miles, so I would just keep those for now and use the extensions. When you DO want to replace the shocks, look at Fox or Rancho for a high quality shock that will give a good ride.

Check out youtube users Lite Brite or the JL Journal by [Banned Site] . They both have good install videos of these kits, and you'll see exactly what the spacers do. I'm not affiliated with either of them, btw, just fans. I've been watching a LOT of JL stuff lately, haha.

Sangiuolo11

First Name
Guy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler JL Sport S
No, you can get either or, but you don't need both. Shock extensions will allow you to use your existing shocks, effectively making them 2" longer to accommodate the lift. If you order the shocks, they should be 2" longer than stock and the extensions would not be needed.

I'm not familiar with those shocks, but I'm guessing they're not super high quality. Your shocks are fairly new with low miles, so I would just keep those for now and use the extensions. When you DO want to replace the shocks, look at Fox or Rancho for a high quality shock that will give a good ride.

Check out youtube users Lite Brite or the JL Journal by [Banned Site] . They both have good install videos of these kits, and you'll see exactly what the spacers do. I'm not affiliated with either of them, btw, just fans. I've been watching a LOT of JL stuff lately, haha.
Would these Rancho ones work with the RC 2.5 spacer lift? https://www.cjponyparts.com/rancho-...or-2-lift-jeep-wrangler-jl-2018/p/RANCHKIT16/

Sponsored

mgroeger

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
OP
OP

JeepJL18

First Name
Jeep
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
I would call RC and ask them what shock they sell goes with it and get the length spec on that shock. Then you can buy whatever shock you want with the same length.
I ordered without shocks so I can upgrade those later once I remove the shock extenders.

WXman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler Unlimited
Occupation
Meteorology and Transportation
I was also going to chime in about the Rough Country kit. As others have said, it's 60% less money, so get that one. Not sure why some companies are trying to get $400 for a spacer kit.

The stock shocks on JL are quite good, so I would suggest using the extension brackets in the RC kit and keep your stock shocks. The stock units compare very nicely to a set of Rancho or Bilstein shocks in my experience.

OP
OP

JeepJL18

First Name
Jeep
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation