Sponsored

EcoDiesel stalled while driving, won't restart at 4100 miles.

OP
OP
zouch

zouch

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
XJ, JLUWD
so, ETA for required parts still unknown; at least a couple of parts are Back-ordered with dates of *August* and *December*. they say these dates get better as they get closer, but they better be freakin' kidding.

just talked with JeepCares, who is supposed to be Expediting parts, but they don't even promise to get back to me with a more accurate ETA until at least Wednesday.

color me not thrilled.
Sponsored

rrubbee

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Rubicon JLU
Something similar happened to my wife's 2017 X5 BMW diesel. Left up dead on the road in the middle of UTAH. The fuel pump disintegrated sending pieces from the tank to the injectors. Everything had to be replaced $15k job. BMW reimbursed us for the loaner and delivery of the X5 from Utah to Ca...another $1700.
Apparently they have known of the problem with the pump and has extended the warranty 100k, 8 years to avoid a recall. Hopefully the new pumps are better. Maybe FIAT buys the same pumps BMW does.
In my case it took a week to get the car fixed. However, they were not even sure if the kit had to come from Germany or if some where in the states. That was one of the reasons I did not buy a Jeep diesel in addition to too new and the range was just not significantly better. My wife's car has a 760 mile range and as you know the X5 is a beast.
What I find upsetting is that they know these pumps are under higher pressure and a failure has major financial costs.....wtf don't they build a overbuilt quality pump? What happened to the days where a diesel car like Mercedes could go a million miles? I know, I know....technology, EPA, save the world.....
One final thought. I find it unacceptable to have to wait 6 months to get your car back. I would see if there is some type of lemon law in your state and ask for a new car or money back to buy a different jeep if you so desire. I have never heard of having to wait 6 months.

Good Luck......just ask about if the pump is any different than the original. If it is that same, you may want to get an extended insurance before the 3 years are up unless there is a recall in the process to upgrade the pump.

Abe

Last edited:
OP
OP
zouch

zouch

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
XJ, JLUWD
hey, rrubbee,

not sure if that BMW used the same cursed Bosch CP4 pump as our EcoDiesel, but it looks likely. reading around, it looks like the CP4s were a lower-cost lighter-weight version of the stouter CP3 pump, and the CP4s are failing on many different brands of vehicles (both foreign and domestic).

frankly, i'm not going to give a damn about any warranty if i'm on one of my trips where the nearest pavement is dozens of miles away across the desert when the thing fails; i built this thing with the idea that it was supposed to be taking me places that aren't easy to get to, and bring me home safely. the bigger thing is that i'm more likely to be traveling with family these days than when i did everything solo with just Ham Radios and a Mountain bike for contingencies.

i'm going to give J**p a couple more days to get an idea of when parts are *really* going to be available, then see what happens.

Something similar happened to my wife's 2017 X5 BMW diesel. Left up dead on the road in the middle of UTAH. The fuel pump disintegrated sending pieces from the tank to the injectors. Everything had to be replaced $15k job. BMW reimbursed us for the loaner and delivery of the X5 from Utah to Ca...another $1700.
Apparently they have known of the problem with the pump and has extended the warranty 100k, 8 years to avoid a recall. Hopefully the new pumps are better. Maybe FIAT buys the same pumps BMW does.
In my case it took a week to get the car fixed. However, they were not even sure if the kit had to come from Germany or if some where in the states. That was one of the reasons I did not buy a Jeep diesel in addition to too new and the range was just not significantly better. My wife's car has a 760 mile range and as you know the X5 is a beast.
What I find upsetting is that they know these pumps are under higher pressure and a failure has major financial costs.....wtf don't they build a overbuilt quality pump? What happened to the days where a diesel car like Mercedes could go a million miles? I know, I know....technology, EPA, save the world.....
One final thought. I find it unacceptable to have to wait 6 months to get your car back. I would see if there is some type of lemon law in your state and ask for a new car or money back to buy a different jeep if you so desire. I have never heard of having to wait 6 months.

Good Luck......just ask about if the pump is any different than the original. If it is that same, you may want to get an extended insurance before the 3 years are up unless there is a recall in the process to upgrade the pump.

Abe

rlnAZ

First Name
Ron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JL Rubicon 4XE Sting Gray
hey, rrubbee,

not sure if that BMW used the same cursed Bosch CP4 pump as our EcoDiesel, but it looks likely. reading around, it looks like the CP4s were a lower-cost lighter-weight version of the stouter CP3 pump, and the CP4s are failing on many different brands of vehicles (both foreign and domestic).

frankly, i'm not going to give a damn about any warranty if i'm on one of my trips where the nearest pavement is dozens of miles away across the desert when the thing fails; i built this thing with the idea that it was supposed to be taking me places that aren't easy to get to, and bring me home safely. the bigger thing is that i'm more likely to be traveling with family these days than when i did everything solo with just Ham Radios and a Mountain bike for contingencies.

i'm going to give J**p a couple more days to get an idea of when parts are *really* going to be available, then see what happens.
so, ETA for required parts still unknown; at least a couple of parts are Back-ordered with dates of *August* and *December*. they say these dates get better as they get closer, but they better be freakin' kidding.

just talked with JeepCares, who is supposed to be Expediting parts, but they don't even promise to get back to me with a more accurate ETA until at least Wednesday.

color me not thrilled.
Hi zouch, Just sold a 2014 GC with eco diesel, gen 2. Put 70,000 miles on it. Failed injectors at 30,000 miles. No other engine problems other than emission issues which were a PIA. Must have made a couple dozen trips to the dealer, recalls, fixes, CEL. Was paid $3,000 from Jeep direct in settlement and additional $1000 from the AZ's lawsuit against Jeep. Loved the Diesel engine, never stranded. Anxiety level was pretty high because it was a gen 2 engine- known issues with crankshaft and connecting rod bearings- constantly worried about major engine failure. Sold it to Car Max a few weeks ago and waiting on a JLUR 4XE. Loved that Diesel engine so much I almost ordered another one in a JL. Hope yours gets repaired quickly, if you keep it get a 100,000 mile 8 year extended warranty.

OP
OP
zouch

zouch

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
XJ, JLUWD
OK, starting to get really pissed.

@JeepCares
just got a call from J**p again after waiting a couple *more* days; new is there's no new news.

required parts are still on Backorder.
nobody seems to be able to tell me when they'll know when they'll get parts.
i at least want a damn timeline.

so, they've promised to call me Friday (again, always a couple more days away) to try to give me an ETA on when they're going to be able to give me an ETA on parts. (note that we haven't even begun to discuss transit time, or installation dates.)

my vacation later next month that i've been planning and building for for over half a year is now seriously in doubt.

this is seriously messed up.

Last edited:

Sponsored

OP
OP
zouch

zouch

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
XJ, JLUWD
so, someone reminded me it's been a couple more weeks.

i'm now waiting for only one part (a fuel tube of all things), and it reportedly has a delivery date of "on or before 29Jul".
still baffles me that J**p can't/won't give me a more concrete delivery date for something like this.

J**p has agreed to make my payment since the thing has been sitting at the dealers for so long, but since i paid most of it up front and financed the rest on the 0% loan deal, that's not especially significant.

i've already got enough work into this one that it would be a task to outfit another one the same way, so i'm going to have to try to get myself to trust this one when it gets back. i will, however, be investigating further into anything that might help eliminate the failure of the Bosch CP4 Fuel Pump, minimize the damage done when it implodes, or a way to retrofit the CP3 pump instead (as has been done with several other applications of this pump).
if anyone has any suggestions for parts available for any of these tasks for the J**p, please let me know!

OP
OP
zouch

zouch

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
XJ, JLUWD
so another week has passed with no progress, continuing the stream of disappointment with @JeepCares

i received a voicemail from someone who identified herself as my new Customer Service Agent; it would seem the guy i had been dealing with may no longer be there. (his extension seems to have gone dead.)
in spite of multiple calls, i have never been able to reach the new agent. i've left voicemails on her line and messages with other agents asking to have her call me, and have received ZERO contact.

most people i talk to are not able to tell me anything, and tend to just try to politely tell me they don't know anything. they universally attempt to dodge direct questions, and deflect to the stock responses.
the last person i talked to that seemed able to tell me anything said that it looked like my last remaining part was awaiting packaging or something like that (he didn't seem to be able to tell, for whatever reason), but as has been the case for over a month now, could/would not tell me when they could/would give me an ETA as to when i might expect that the part would be delivered.

the last person to answer the phone when i called @JeepCares (identified herself as Monica) was the worst i've spoken to so far. she repeatedly interrupted me, talked over me, and generally tried to argue with me. she even went so far as to never hang up the call, probably in order to avoid my being transferred to the automated Customer Satisfaction Survey that comes on at the end of a call, therby avoiding the possibility of earning what she knew would not have been a positive score.

in the meantime, is J**p not building diesels because they can't get this same part i'm waiting on?
is the pump replacing the one that failed in my J**p an improved version, or another of the same?
inquiring minds want to know, but we're certainly not getting any answers from @JeepCares

OP
OP
zouch

zouch

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
XJ, JLUWD
so, it's been a few more weeks; i still don't have my J**p back.

several stories related to the last part they were waiting for being either a hose or a fuel pump/gauge module, depending on who you talked to when,... once the part arrived the whole project was on waiting for a barrel for the dealer to put the contaminated fuel into.
what, nobody could have figured out they were going to need this and arranged for it during the 2 MONTHS it's been waiting for parts?!

finally saw it in the mechanics bay this afternoon; word is they're doing the injectors first and are then working toward the back.

along the way they've managed to ruin the Ultrahook i had on the front of it by deciding it was a good idea to drag the J**p around the lot by unspooling the winch a bit and hooking it up to a hook on the back of another truck. it remains to be seen whether or not they ruined the winch in the process by shock-loading it; Warn says this is not uncommon, and happens a lot when people winch their rigs up onto a trailer and use the winch to try to secure it while driving down the raod and shock-load the gears.
the rope (synthetic) is laying out unspooled now, but the battery is disconnected to to do the work on it, and i can't winch it back in. the dealer folks asked me to leave the controller with them to be able to spool it back in when they hook the battery back up and i declined, saying i'd rather they call me when it's ready and i'll come do it myself, because i didn't want anyone messing with the winch based on how it has been (mis)used already. (why do people find it so difficult to resist playing with a winch? seems many people don't know how much they don't know and don't know when to leave things they don't know about alone.)

so, i might see my J**p next week. FINALLY.

it remains to see how much damage has been done to it by the time i get it back, and how long it'll take to get back to where i was before the dang fuel pump failed.

tfergus20

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Willys JLU
so, it's been a few more weeks; i still don't have my J**p back.

several stories related to the last part they were waiting for being either a hose or a fuel pump/gauge module, depending on who you talked to when,... once the part arrived the whole project was on waiting for a barrel for the dealer to put the contaminated fuel into.
what, nobody could have figured out they were going to need this and arranged for it during the 2 MONTHS it's been waiting for parts?!

finally saw it in the mechanics bay this afternoon; word is they're doing the injectors first and are then working toward the back.

along the way they've managed to ruin the Ultrahook i had on the front of it by deciding it was a good idea to drag the J**p around the lot by unspooling the winch a bit and hooking it up to a hook on the back of another truck. it remains to be seen whether or not they ruined the winch in the process by shock-loading it; Warn says this is not uncommon, and happens a lot when people winch their rigs up onto a trailer and use the winch to try to secure it while driving down the raod and shock-load the gears.
the rope (synthetic) is laying out unspooled now, but the battery is disconnected to to do the work on it, and i can't winch it back in. the dealer folks asked me to leave the controller with them to be able to spool it back in when they hook the battery back up and i declined, saying i'd rather they call me when it's ready and i'll come do it myself, because i didn't want anyone messing with the winch based on how it has been (mis)used already. (why do people find it so difficult to resist playing with a winch? seems many people don't know how much they don't know and don't know when to leave things they don't know about alone.)

so, i might see my J**p next week. FINALLY.

it remains to see how much damage has been done to it by the time i get it back, and how long it'll take to get back to where i was before the dang fuel pump failed.
I had the same issue 2021 Willys JLU, stalled while going 40MPH, wouldnt restart, locked up, etc. Towed to dealer. Apparently a recall coming out on the fuel line. Waiting on a replacement fuel line now. Jeep Wave Program has been hardly supportive in getting a timeline or even a loaner. Vehicle has 2500 miles on it and is just sitting at the dealership. My third jeep and if the bronco styling gets better, I'm done with Jeeps.

OP
OP
zouch

zouch

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
XJ, JLUWD
@tfergus20 hard to tell from your tag or your profile which engine you're talking about.

is yours an EcoDiesel?
if not, it's not likely related.

I had the same issue 2021 Willys JLU, stalled while going 40MPH, wouldnt restart, locked up, etc. Towed to dealer. Apparently a recall coming out on the fuel line. Waiting on a replacement fuel line now. Jeep Wave Program has been hardly supportive in getting a timeline or even a loaner. Vehicle has 2500 miles on it and is just sitting at the dealership. My third jeep and if the bronco styling gets better, I'm done with Jeeps.

Last edited:

Sponsored

JeepCares

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL
We're sorry to hear of your concerns, tfergus20. Feel free to send us a PM that includes your case number and we can dig in.

Kate
Jeep Cares

OP
OP
zouch

zouch

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
XJ, JLUWD
so, just to be fair and follow-up (since i started this thread),...

J**p did step up and cover all costs associated with replacing the entire fuel system in my Diesel. replaced parts included the HP Fuel Pump, High Pressure Hoses, Injector Rail, Fuel Return Lines, In-Tank Fuel Pump/Gauge Module, Fuel Filter, and Fuel Supply lines. along with that came a serious flush of the Fuel tank. we don't want to think about that would have cost had it not been covered under warranty!

aside from the foolishness at the Dealership (arguably not J**ps fault), the real downside was that it took nearly 3 freaking months to get the last part in.

they did agree to make my payment (which is pretty small since i paid for most of it up front and only financed a little because i couldn't resist availing myself of their 0% financing!); i got one check, and got a call earlier just this week apologizing for my not having already received a second check and promising that it was in the mail.

the wait was bad, but the worst part was the lack of Status information regarding what i was waiting for and when we might even know when it might all be resolved; that was INFURIATING.
the (mis)communication from J**p Customer Service and the Dealership was disjointed, at best, and was at times even contradictory. (my local dealership is abysmal and deserves a lot of the discredit for making it more painful than it needed to be; they won't even pay for a Receptionist to answer the phone, and nobody could ever tell you what your status was except the one Service Writer who was working your job.)

so far, the Willys seems to be running well, but i've only got about 1000 miles on it since getting it back.
having learned more now about the Bosch CP4 problems that have surfaced over the years since it came into use, it's going to take some serious intestinal fortitude to trust this as much as my old 4.0L when pointing it into the weeds,.. but i'm just going to have to keep using the (Mopar! because of warranty!) Fuel Additive to try to make up for the lubricity that the pump was designed to expect and Amerikun ULSD Fuel doesn't have, and make sure i have my satellite phone service up-to-date and hope for the best.

mwilk012

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Ocean Blue JLU Rubicon
Occupation
Service
so, just to be fair and follow-up (since i started this thread),...

J**p did step up and cover all costs associated with replacing the entire fuel system in my Diesel. replaced parts included the HP Fuel Pump, High Pressure Hoses, Injector Rail, Fuel Return Lines, In-Tank Fuel Pump/Gauge Module, Fuel Filter, and Fuel Supply lines. along with that came a serious flush of the Fuel tank. we don't want to think about that would have cost had it not been covered under warranty!

aside from the foolishness at the Dealership (arguably not J**ps fault), the real downside was that it took nearly 3 freaking months to get the last part in.

they did agree to make my payment (which is pretty small since i paid for most of it up front and only financed a little because i couldn't resist availing myself of their 0% financing!); i got one check, and got a call earlier just this week apologizing for my not having already received a second check and promising that it was in the mail.

the wait was bad, but the worst part was the lack of Status information regarding what i was waiting for and when we might even know when it might all be resolved; that was INFURIATING.
the (mis)communication from J**p Customer Service and the Dealership was disjointed, at best, and was at times even contradictory. (my local dealership is abysmal and deserves a lot of the discredit for making it more painful than it needed to be; they won't even pay for a Receptionist to answer the phone, and nobody could ever tell you what your status was except the one Service Writer who was working your job.)

so far, the Willys seems to be running well, but i've only got about 1000 miles on it since getting it back.
having learned more now about the Bosch CP4 problems that have surfaced over the years since it came into use, it's going to take some serious intestinal fortitude to trust this as much as my old 4.0L when pointing it into the weeds,.. but i'm just going to have to keep using the (Mopar! because of warranty!) Fuel Additive to try to make up for the lubricity that the pump was designed to expect and Amerikun ULSD Fuel doesn't have, and make sure i have my satellite phone service up-to-date and hope for the best.
Why do you keep spelling it "J**p"? That kind of comes across as nutty.

JLEcoDiesel

First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep rubicon EcoDiesel
Zouch

It sounds like I just had the same issue. I have 2021 eco diesel with 28k miles. Was on the freeway driving around 75 mph and all the sudden engine light is on, loss of power and some black smoke came out the exhaust. Waiting for dealerships to open and see when they can look at it. (Yes checked all wires, on had 69 miles into a full tank of fuel). Any suggestions dealing with out of state dealership and Jeep cares? Thanks

OP
OP
zouch

zouch

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
XJ, JLUWD
hey Eric!

bummer!
yours actually sounds like a different issue than what i had. i got no lights, no error codes, no smoke, nothing; it just stopped running and wouldn't restart.

Jeepcares; they might have actually helped in the sense that the dealership knew that Corporate was aware, but they were terrible about keeping me up-to-date on status, and it seemed like the info they got me sometimes was out-of-synch with what i got from the Dealership. (hard to know which side was wrong in that case.)
bottom line in my case was waiting on parts; they couldn't make the last part appear any faster than it did (2-1/2 MONTHS).
what they *did* do was cover a couple of my payments while it was in the shop waiting on parts.

as for dealers, it seems to be a crap shoot. i don't like my local dealer, but they're convenient. it does seem like they (eventually) got the big stuff done and it's been working, but there's plenty of little stuff that has been a struggle to get right that makes me wonder,..

good luck with yours. they're so great to drive when they work, that i hope your issue is resolved without too much hassle!

Zouch

It sounds like I just had the same issue. I have 2021 eco diesel with 28k miles. Was on the freeway driving around 75 mph and all the sudden engine light is on, loss of power and some black smoke came out the exhaust. Waiting for dealerships to open and see when they can look at it. (Yes checked all wires, on had 69 miles into a full tank of fuel). Any suggestions dealing with out of state dealership and Jeep cares? Thanks
Sponsored