Sponsored

EcoDiesel stalled while driving, won't restart at 4100 miles.

JLEcoDiesel

First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep rubicon EcoDiesel
hey Eric!

bummer!
yours actually sounds like a different issue than what i had. i got no lights, no error codes, no smoke, nothing; it just stopped running and wouldn't restart.

Jeepcares; they might have actually helped in the sense that the dealership knew that Corporate was aware, but they were terrible about keeping me up-to-date on status, and it seemed like the info they got me sometimes was out-of-synch with what i got from the Dealership. (hard to know which side was wrong in that case.)
bottom line in my case was waiting on parts; they couldn't make the last part appear any faster than it did (2-1/2 MONTHS).
what they *did* do was cover a couple of my payments while it was in the shop waiting on parts.

as for dealers, it seems to be a crap shoot. i don't like my local dealer, but they're convenient. it does seem like they (eventually) got the big stuff done and it's been working, but there's plenty of little stuff that has been a struggle to get right that makes me wonder,..

good luck with yours. they're so great to drive when they work, that i hope your issue is resolved without too much hassle!
Sponsored

JLEcoDiesel

First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Found out it was the fuel pump and after 7 weeks I’m still waiting on parts. Bad thing is Jeep Cares hasn’t helped with providing a vehicle as mine broke down in another state, and they won’t cover 100% of my rental. Definitely discouraged about the entire process.

Shirtboy

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler Rubicon Diesel
Found out it was the fuel pump and after 7 weeks I’m still waiting on parts. Bad thing is Jeep Cares hasn’t helped with providing a vehicle as mine broke down in another state, and they won’t cover 100% of my rental. Definitely discouraged about the entire process.
Well just got back home from watching the tow truck leave with my 2021 Diesel and found this thread! Might be joining the fuel pump club myself... driving 55 and lost power, got the sway bar light flashing like I was trying to disengage... (wasn't) came to stop and ...then...its a "no go" 27 degrees out.. in a right hand turn lane. lucky AAA got there quick and a great cop who helped push traffic off my A$$... just had a new hard top installed...

OP
OP
zouch

zouch

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
XJ, JLUWD
hi Eric!

which fuel pump are you talking about? the High Pressure Fuel Pump under the hood, or the Fuel Pump/Gauge module in the tank?
if you lost the HPFP you'll need both (and the entire fuel system expect the tank) replaced, but it was the one in the tank that took me 2.5 months to get.

not sure anyone would ever be obligated to provide a rental, so that's not a surprise,.. i don't know what *where* it broke down would have to do with that. while it would be nice if they did, considering the current state of the world of rental cars and used cars, etc., i'm not surprised that they don't if they don't have to. disappointed, yes, but not surprised. in my case i'm pretty sure it was my dealer that was offering me a rental, not J**pCares.

OP
OP
zouch

zouch

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
XJ, JLUWD
interesting; different symptoms than mine, as i didn't get any lights.

here's hoping it's something simpler for you! keep us posted!

Well just got back home from watching the tow truck leave with my 2021 Diesel and found this thread! Might be joining the fuel pump club myself... driving 55 and lost power, got the sway bar light flashing like I was trying to disengage... (wasn't) came to stop and ...then...its a "no go" 27 degrees out.. in a right hand turn lane. lucky AAA got there quick and a great cop who helped push traffic off my A$$... just had a new hard top installed...

Sponsored

JLEcoDiesel

First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
hi Eric!

which fuel pump are you talking about? the High Pressure Fuel Pump under the hood, or the Fuel Pump/Gauge module in the tank?
if you lost the HPFP you'll need both (and the entire fuel system expect the tank) replaced, but it was the one in the tank that took me 2.5 months to get.

not sure anyone would ever be obligated to provide a rental, so that's not a surprise,.. i don't know what *where* it broke down would have to do with that. while it would be nice if they did, considering the current state of the world of rental cars and used cars, etc., i'm not surprised that they don't if they don't have to. disappointed, yes, but not surprised. in my case i'm pretty sure it was my dealer that was offering me a rental, not J**pCares.
it was the one in the tank. They are replacing the entire fuel tank and fuel lines.

Shirtboy

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler Rubicon Diesel
interesting; different symptoms than mine, as i didn't get any lights.

here's hoping it's something simpler for you! keep us posted!
just saw a notice that there was notice in my email....both a power charging issue & Malfunction Indicator Light

so... im betting once I stopped at the light, the jeep shut off (EES) and i was dun dun dun....

malfunction.png

OP
OP
zouch

zouch

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
XJ, JLUWD
interesting,.. not sure why they'd decide to replace the tank and/or fuel lines when you blew a Lift Pump.
Lines; which ones? the Feed and Return Lines? does that include the High Pressure Injector lines?

would be very interested to see the list of parts replaced when you get it back!

it was the one in the tank. They are replacing the entire fuel tank and fuel lines.

Maxx11

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Wrangler Islander Diesel
hey Eric!

bummer!
yours actually sounds like a different issue than what i had. i got no lights, no error codes, no smoke, nothing; it just stopped running and wouldn't restart.

Jeepcares; they might have actually helped in the sense that the dealership knew that Corporate was aware, but they were terrible about keeping me up-to-date on status, and it seemed like the info they got me sometimes was out-of-synch with what i got from the Dealership. (hard to know which side was wrong in that case.)
bottom line in my case was waiting on parts; they couldn't make the last part appear any faster than it did (2-1/2 MONTHS).
what they *did* do was cover a couple of my payments while it was in the shop waiting on parts.

as for dealers, it seems to be a crap shoot. i don't like my local dealer, but they're convenient. it does seem like they (eventually) got the big stuff done and it's been working, but there's plenty of little stuff that has been a struggle to get right that makes me wonder,..

good luck with yours. they're so great to drive when they work, that i hope your issue is resolved without too much hassle!
My eco diesel just died at an intersection. Been in shop for a week. Only 10000 miles on it. Told 4-6 months for parts. Found out that they are having a lot of diesels with the same exact problem. Those built during a specific month are the culprits. Jeep knows they have a problem!! There may be a class action lawsuit. I was told my entire fuel system needs replaced. They know something is wrong!!!!!!!

OP
OP
zouch

zouch

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
XJ, JLUWD
sorry to hear that. but not surprised,...

the idea that "Those built during a specific month are the culprits" is balderdash; once i started looking into it i found that the Bosch CP4 Fuel Pump has been failing for years, in a lot more vehicles than just our EcoDiesels. much of the blame for that is laid on the low lubricity of the ULSD that's now used in the USA, but the Root Cause seems to be the design of the pump itself.

since i started this thread and had my entire fuel system (except the tank) replaced, i've put another 7K miles on mine, and it's been faultless. not much more we can do at this point except hope it keeps going that way, but to try to hedge my bets i run the Mopar Diesel Fuel additive at fill-ups and try not to let the fuel level get low enough that the lift pump module might suck air.

i'm keeping my eyes open for any aftermarket support for the CP4, but i haven't seen any available for the JL application yet. i'd like to at least have this thing set up with some of the kits that prevent the entire fuel system from being contaminated when these things self-destruct!

My eco diesel just died at an intersection. Been in shop for a week. Only 10000 miles on it. Told 4-6 months for parts. Found out that they are having a lot of diesels with the same exact problem. Those built during a specific month are the culprits. Jeep knows they have a problem!! There may be a class action lawsuit. I was told my entire fuel system needs replaced. They know something is wrong!!!!!!!
Sponsored