Sponsored

EcoDiesel stalled while driving, won't restart at 4100 miles.

zouch

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
XJ, JLUWD
yup. JLU Willys Diesel just died while running and won't restart.

got some fresh tires put on it today, and it died as they were pulling it out of the service bay after a post-test drive re-torquing of lug nuts. (maybe its shy in its pretty new shoes?)

cranks heartily, but apparently isn't getting fuel, because there isn't a hint of anything firing. not even a sputter.

no lights on the dash, no codes reported. (if anyone has any tips about how to pull DTCs off of one of these things like we used to be able to do with J**ps of yesteryear, please enlighten me!)

looked at all the fuses related to fuel and ECM/PCM and didn't see anything that looked out of the ordinary. swapped some relays related to same, and didn't have any change.
the only anomoly i've experienced with it were that a coupla'-three times since it was new in November it's shown the Traction Control light (with a brief abrupt cut of power) for no apparent reason while cruising on flat dry ground and it did it again this afternoon while on the way to the shop for tires.

i'ev got it home now, but @JeepCares , and/or anyone else; any tips, hints or clues as to what i might look for before it goes back on the hook to the dealer?
Sponsored

gato

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR
Always worth putting a scanner on to see if there are any codes, and disconnecting the batteries, and trying again.

Of course check your fuel lines and other obvious things, like opening fuel tank filler to check for vapor lock.

The traction control coming in without reason is usually related to incorrect wheel speed sensor readings or steering not centered.

Good luck.

OP
OP
zouch

zouch

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
XJ, JLUWD
yeah, did the obvious stuff.

scanning seems tricky; Innova says they don't even have a scanner for anything "that new", and that i need to wait about 3 years.
i'm open to other suggestions on scanners that will actually work.

talked to a friendly person i know at a dealer, and they recommended not trying to disconnect the battery yet in case it loses some useful information. all that would likely do anyway is address the symptom, not the Root Cause problem, and wouldn't likely guarantee that i wouldn't have the same problem again sometime i'm somewhere less convenient. (the whole intent of vehicles like this is to be a long ways from things, and this could seriously undermine my confidence in its ability to do so.)

WRT Traction Control randomly activating, i'm not sure how incorrect a reading can get while it's rolling along on pavement, but i can assure you i'm pretty particular about keeping a steering wheel straight, and that's not the issue. of course, there could be (and likely is) and issue with a sensor, but that's a fault of the sensor, not the actual situation.

how about it, @JeepCares ? any guidance for a vehicle-disabling issue on a vehicle in its first year?

Always worth putting a scanner on to see if there are any codes, and disconnecting the batteries, and trying again.

Of course check your fuel lines and other obvious things, like opening fuel tank filler to check for vapor lock.

The traction control coming in without reason is usually related to incorrect wheel speed sensor readings or steering not centered.

Good luck.

JeepCares

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL
yeah, did the obvious stuff.

scanning seems tricky; Innova says they don't even have a scanner for anything "that new", and that i need to wait about 3 years.
i'm open to other suggestions on scanners that will actually work.

talked to a friendly person i know at a dealer, and they recommended not trying to disconnect the battery yet in case it loses some useful information. all that would likely do anyway is address the symptom, not the Root Cause problem, and wouldn't likely guarantee that i wouldn't have the same problem again sometime i'm somewhere less convenient. (the whole intent of vehicles like this is to be a long ways from things, and this could seriously undermine my confidence in its ability to do so.)

WRT Traction Control randomly activating, i'm not sure how incorrect a reading can get while it's rolling along on pavement, but i can assure you i'm pretty particular about keeping a steering wheel straight, and that's not the issue. of course, there could be (and likely is) and issue with a sensor, but that's a fault of the sensor, not the actual situation.

how about it, @JeepCares ? any guidance for a vehicle-disabling issue on a vehicle in its first year?
So sorry to hear this happening so soon in ownership, zouch. Although we cannot speculate as to why this would be happening, we can assist you when visiting the dealer. When you have an appointment set, send us a private message and we can work with you further.

Kate
Jeep Cares

OP
OP
zouch

zouch

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
XJ, JLUWD
thanks, Kate; will do.

So sorry to hear this happening so soon in ownership, zouch. Although we cannot speculate as to why this would be happening, we can assist you when visiting the dealer. When you have an appointment set, send us a private message and we can work with you further.

Kate
Jeep Cares

Sponsored

Oldbear

First Name
Dwayne
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
16 Ram 1500 Ecodiesel; 20 JL Sport S 2 door
My money would be on a defective fuel pump -no fuel, no go. Donā€™t have enough miles for a clogged fuel filter (unless you got some REALLY funky fuel..)

OP
OP
zouch

zouch

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
XJ, JLUWD
yeah, dead fuel pump is pretty high on the list of suspects, but i would have *hoped* that if we had no fuel pressure, we'd at least have a Code to that effect, y'know?

My money would be on a defective fuel pump -no fuel, no go. Donā€™t have enough miles for a clogged fuel filter (unless you got some REALLY funky fuel..)

mwilk012

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Ocean Blue JLU Rubicon
Occupation
Service
yeah, dead fuel pump is pretty high on the list of suspects, but i would have *hoped* that if we had no fuel pressure, we'd at least have a Code to that effect, y'know?
a brand new fuel pump being defective is very very low on the list when ranked by likelihood. Diesels are incredibly complex machines. You will not get any codes pulled out of it with any scan tool you have access to. Would love to hear the follow up on this though.

Sponsored

OP
OP
zouch

zouch

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
XJ, JLUWD
latest word from dealer is they found metal shards in the fuel line,.. :( next steps still being determined.

they offered me a new Cherokee as a loaner; i declined. iā€™d rather drive my old XJ than one of those!

mwilk012

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Service
latest word from dealer is they found metal shards in the fuel line,.. :( next steps still being determined.

they offered me a new Cherokee as a loaner; i declined. iā€™d rather drive my old XJ than one of those!
which fuel line? High pressure injector fuel line?

mwilk012

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Service
Looks like itā€™s time for a new injection pump and injectors.

OP
OP
zouch

zouch

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
XJ, JLUWD
root cause (if known) currently not shared with me; i don't know for certain if it was the Injector Pump or Fuel Pressure Regulator that fragged or something else that caused everything to let go.

word from the mechanic is that the Fuel Filter was pulled and fuel was inspected and determined to be acceptably free of contamination.

word is we're looking at at least a new Injector Pump, injector rails, Fuel Pressure Regulator, High Pressure Fuel Lines, Injectors, Lift Pump, Fuel Filter and possibly more. clean-out of fuel tank will be required, and was still up in the air as to whether they were going to completely replace Fuel Lines or flush them. i'd also feel better if they were to at least change the oil and Oil Filter as well, but we'll see.

reading around, it seems there are kits available for some other applications that use the CP4 Fuel pump these use that will minimize the extent of the damage when things let go, but i haven't found anything for the J**p yet. (if anyone else does, please let me know!) in some applications, there are complete retrofit kits to switch out to the previous (allegedly more reliable) CP3 Pump, but at least some of them require the deletion of certain Emissions components.

Jeep is stepping up for all this, and word is JeepCares is supposed to be expediting any parts that might not be readily available.
ETA still undetermined as of yesterday.
Sponsored