Ecodiesel reliability - as cited by Ram drivers

1. WXman

WXman Well-Known Member

Vehicle(s):
    2018 Wrangler Unlimited
    Liked:
    Meteorology and Transportation
    Diesel in the Jeep: 23 MPG avg. with 50/50 split city and highway stock, 26 MPG avg. with 50/50 split city and highway tuned. 14 MPG while towing ~7,000 lbs.

4.7L/5.7L V8 in Ram: 13 MPG avg. with 50/50 split city and highway. 9-11 MPG towing ~7,000 lbs.

Diesel fuel obviously is more expensive than 87 octane gasoline. But still, there was some savings there on fuel usage alone. Once or twice, I got 500 miles out of a tank of fuel in my Jeep.

2. NFRs2000NYC

NFRs2000NYC Well-Known Member

First Name:
    David
    Vehicle(s):
    2014 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon
    Liked:
    Again, my single anecdotal experience of our 2014 GC Diesel is 85000 trouble free miles. Yes, i realize it is an anecdotal example, and yes, I realize that parts for diesels are more expensive, but it doesn't seem that their failure rate/trouble rate is any worse than most other engines. My JKUR with the pentastar had to get the oil filter housing replaced, and the 2012 folks had their heads replaced en masse.

3. bumpit

bumpit Well-Known Member

Vehicle(s):
    2015 Grand Cherokee 2019 JL Rubicon
    Liked:
    Just in my small group of people I know that have it in the ram it's been a hassle for most of them. The most recent has been driving a loaner jl while they replace the engine in eco diesel. All the issues with them is what solidified my decision to not wait. If the 3.6 was a slouch I might have been more tempted to wait but with the new 8 speed I've yet to want for more power or torque especially in 4low.

4. SamIam

SamIam Well-Known Member

First Name:
    Sammy
    Vehicle(s):
    2018JLUR in Mojito!, 2018 F150 XLT crewcab, 2016 MB GLC
    Liked:
    Retired Navy
    I have heard every opinion on the spectrum. From really good to really bad about the ED. I was convinced to buy the JLUR ED but my consideration was purely financial. Knowing all diesels can do and how it has more torque than gas, I wanted a diesel. But my JLUR was 51 and change out the door with all options, going to ED was probably going to add another 5K and that was something I was not going to do. So I went with 3.6 and it has performed really well during this 3 months. No trouble whatsoever and gas milage is decent for a Wrangler. around town I get up to 19 and highway up to 23 and sometimes 24 mpg. And this is my 5 Wrangler. Never had issues, I drive off-road but don't abuse it, so it performs well. I'm a happy camper...

5. Jlu2019*

Jlu2019* New Member

First Name:
    Michael
    Vehicle(s):
    2014 ram ecodiesel limited, 2016 gmc acadia denali
    Liked:
    2014 ram ecodisel owner here 80000 miles. no grenade but a few engine related issues that i would like to share. first the emission cheating scandal and subsequent recall this yet to play out fully we will see how this goes. Second i had to have my catalytic converter replaced, when it failed it put me into a 300 mile until vehicle is disabled fault. second and the most concerning is the service electronic throttle sysytem fault that puts you into limp mode, it happens when its cold outside. my dealer stated maybe one year FCA will finally figure this out just a few weeks ago when it happened to me. all of these issues is what led me to start looking at JLUR and i am HEAVILY leaning to a 3.6L for simplicty and reliability.

6. BenDiesel

BenDiesel Active Member

First Name:
    Ben
    Vehicle(s):
    2003 tdi jettt, 2003 dodge ram Cummins quad cab, 2017 jeep Cherokee trailhawk, 1988 jeep yj
    Liked:
    Just remember the 3.6 is drive by wire aswell

7. SamIam

SamIam Well-Known Member

First Name:
    Sammy
    Vehicle(s):
    2018JLUR in Mojito!, 2018 F150 XLT crewcab, 2016 MB GLC
    Liked:
    Retired Navy
    The 3.6 is a workhorse and I never had any issues with it. I do my own oil change, and take it to the dealership for tire rotation and balance. I really like it and with gasoline around 2.15 here in Central Florida, it's a decent option. Beaches are close, Ocala national forest is less than 1 hour away, Florida Keys 3 hours away. I really enjoy the daily driver aspect of the JLUR. And they just came out with the lowest cost of ownership for 5 years. Thank God for this awesome country and it's awesome creativity...

8. #diesel

#diesel Member

First Name:
    Michael
    Vehicle(s):
    2019 JLUR
    Liked:
    This is a perfect example of why I abandoned any hope that anyone could make a reliable, modern diesel. Having a blast in my ‘19 JLUR six-speed.

9. BenDiesel

BenDiesel Active Member

First Name:
    Ben
    Vehicle(s):
    2003 tdi jettt, 2003 dodge ram Cummins quad cab, 2017 jeep Cherokee trailhawk, 1988 jeep yj
    Liked:
    I'm gona put this here because I don't know why not?