First Name
Alejandro
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Dodge Durango RT
Occupation
Finance
Emissions are freaking me out. I’m environmentally conscious so I’m not deleting anything even if tuners were suddenly available again but my plans are to retire my Jeep from DD in four years and would love to have an off-road specific vehicle void of emission related issues.

Can this diesel be restored from the damage created by the current EGR and particulate filters clogging or just general soot being deposited? Seen a few videos and it looks like you’d need to constantly take the EGR out for cleaning as well as addressing the particulate filter as regen alone not getting it done.

D&L does bullet proofing and I’m going to call them to better understand what that does but it always gets me nervous when others offer a remedy the manufacturer doesn’t considering it’s in their best interest to avoid warranty concerns.

Thoughts?
Sponsored

Matx

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
14 JKU
Egr system is different from the previous ecodiesel designs, we will see if it has the same problems down the road

OP
OP

GARRIGA

First Name
Alejandro
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Dodge Durango RT
Occupation
Finance
I don’t see how it’s going to be deferent in that regard. Seems soot happening regardless what we do. I just want to know if it can be addressed down the road.

Matx

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
14 JKU
I don’t see how it’s going to be deferent in that regard. Seems soot happening regardless what we do. I just want to know if it can be addressed down the road.
The egr is pulled farther down the exhaust after the DPF so like I said we will see how that turns out...

OP
OP

GARRIGA

First Name
Alejandro
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Dodge Durango RT
Occupation
Finance
Fair enough. Assuming it doesn’t work as expected. Can it be rebuilt? Assuming the damage caused in the past with Gen 2 along with all other diesels of modern design to combat emissions. My main concern. Trying to hedge the outcome. :)

Last edited:

Sponsored

JLURD

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Compass Latitude 6MT, 2020 JLUR 3.0
Fair enough. Assuming it doesn’t work as expected. Can it be rebuilt? Assuming the damage caused in the past with Gen 2 along with all other diesels of modern design to combat em missions. My main concern. Trying to hedge the outcome. :)
Talk to Banks Power.

DaltonGang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JLU Sport S, Rubicon Suspension, Tires, and Rims. Firecracker Red
Nothing good happens to an engine, when the carbon particles of soot are dumped back into an engine. Just imagine millions of fine sand particles inside your cylinders.

oceanblue2019

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR 2.0L Auto
Occupation
Metrology
Emissions are freaking me out. I’m environmentally conscious so I’m not deleting anything even if tuners were suddenly available again but my plans are to retire my Jeep from DD in four years and would love to have an off-road specific vehicle void of emission related issues.

Can this diesel be restored from the damage created by the current EGR and particulate filters clogging or just general soot being deposited? Seen a few videos and it looks like you’d need to constantly take the EGR out for cleaning as well as addressing the particulate filter as regen alone not getting it done.

D&L does bullet proofing and I’m going to call them to better understand what that does but it always gets me nervous when others offer a remedy the manufacturer doesn’t considering it’s in their best interest to avoid warranty concerns.

Thoughts?
Buy a 7 or 8 year extended warranty that covers the engine if you are that concerned. Also the emissions systems will carry a much longer warranty from the factory.

The challenge with tunes/deletes is it is very highly likely that in the next couple years the 3.0L gen3 there will be recalls and updates like with any new unproven technology. If you have done a tune/delete it becomes a challenge to get the dealership to do these updates as it is illegal for them to service a vehicle with an emissions defeat and most of them are on top of this.

I had Audi 3.0L TDI's with tunes/deletes. It got real old removing and returning to stock to go in for the latest and greatest recall campaign and then re-installing.

I really like diesels but unless you are happy as they come from the factory it's not the right choice for you.

OP
OP

GARRIGA

First Name
Alejandro
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Dodge Durango RT
Occupation
Finance
Deletes won’t happen until the vehicle gets converted for strictly off-road use. Will no longer care about warranty or upgrades.

long term warranties don’t remove the damage done to a vehicle I’m keeping beyond. Plan is to build up overtime and stay with it.

Did some research and if I understood correctly then the Ram V3 has two EGRs. As is today and one post DPF. Former handling low pressure and latter high. Don’t know if JL version also has two but it seems that if it retains the former than possibly soot still makes in.

As far as deletes. Are those no longer available for strictly off-road? Vehicle won’t even be registered. Just trying to understand the details. Not looking forward to spending crazy money to later regret it. That would suck

JLURD

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Deletes won’t happen until the vehicle gets converted for strictly off-road use. Will no longer care about warranty or upgrades.

long term warranties don’t remove the damage done to a vehicle I’m keeping beyond. Plan is to build up overtime and stay with it.

Did some research and if I understood correctly then the Ram V3 has two EGRs. As is today and one post DPF. Former handling low pressure and latter high. Don’t know if JL version also has two but it seems that if it retains the former than possibly soot still makes in.

As far as deletes. Are those no longer available for strictly off-road? Vehicle won’t even be registered. Just trying to understand the details. Not looking forward to spending crazy money to later regret it. That would suck
EPA recently went after tuners who were providing off-road emissions deletes. They mostly vanished unless they’re EPA approved tunes. That said, most people looking for off-road deletes will be getting the ECU tune from international sources including Canada.

Sponsored

JLURD

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Also the emissions systems will carry a much longer warranty from the factory.
https://nepis.epa.gov/Exe/ZyPDF.cgi?Dockey=P100NNQH.pdf

The major emissions control components are not what fails on a diesel emissions system inside that 8yr/80000mi federal warranty. EGRs and DPFs account for the large majority of these issues and will be covered by the standard vehicle warranty only. Even if you wind up with a major component failure between the manufacturer and federal warranty windows, many of us live in states which still wouldn’t qualify based on the fine print.

oceanblue2019

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR 2.0L Auto
Occupation
Metrology
https://nepis.epa.gov/Exe/ZyPDF.cgi?Dockey=P100NNQH.pdf

The major emissions control components are not what fails on a diesel emissions system inside that 8yr/80000mi federal warranty. EGRs and DPFs account for the large majority of these issues and will be covered by the standard vehicle warranty only. Even if you wind up with a major component failure between the manufacturer and federal warranty windows, many of us live in states which still wouldn’t qualify based on the fine print.
Interesting, Audi/VW were covering EGR/DPF as part of the emissions warranty. I had work done that was fully covered well past warranty. I had assumed this was part of the standard extended emissions coverage.

OP
OP

GARRIGA

First Name
Alejandro
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Dodge Durango RT
Occupation
Finance
Perhaps more often routine maintenance is needed. I can live with that. EGR and sensor appear to be an easy pull and clean process. Seen some solutions for the DPF. Ton of prevention? Am I on the right track or just dreaming. I want that diesel. Don’t have an issue with finding a way to make it work.

OP
OP

GARRIGA

First Name
Alejandro
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Dodge Durango RT
Occupation
Finance
EPA recently went after tuners who were providing off-road emissions deletes. They mostly vanished unless they’re EPA approved tunes. That said, most people looking for off-road deletes will be getting the ECU tune from international sources including Canada.
I was aware of the EPA removing tuners from the market but thought that was strictly for road use.

I’ll go see what defines and EPA approved off-road tune. Was hoping that just not having the vehicle registered for road would satisfy that requirement.

Almost

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JTRD
I was aware of the EPA removing tuners from the market but thought that was strictly for road use.

I’ll go see what defines and EPA approved off-road tune. Was hoping that just not having the vehicle registered for road would satisfy that requirement.
They made it illegal to tamper with any emissions equipment period. Doesn't matter if it's a truck, or a diesel generator that never sees the road. What isn't clear is how far that extends and to what parts outside of ECU tuning, DPF and EGRs. One could argue that even increasing injector or turbo size could be prohibited if it produces more emissions than stock. The only go around for tuners to be able to continue is to get their own emissions testing equipment and tune to meet emissions regulations. This would require them to submit any tunes to EPA/Carb for certifications to be available for sale.
Sponsored