Sponsored

EcoDiesel JLU Rubicon Broke down on Rubicon Trail, Broken Fuel Separator Housing

alksion

First Name
Josiah
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 Rubicon 392, 21 Sahara Altitude
Occupation
Biz Owner
I have no idea, I do know that its very heavy when I had to install 1.5” spacer on top of the 3.5” rock krawler springs to get it level In the rear.
Hmmmm this is making me reconsider. Not sure I want more weight than I’m already adding.
Sponsored

21JLURDG

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon 3.0 Gecko
Hey Guys, this is Eco Diesel Specific, as I broke My fuel Separator on the Rubicon trail.
This is here to share my experience, so that other's may pull from this, if they have a similar problem....
I bought a couple of fittings from Amazon once I got home, to throw in my kit "just in case":
3/8 puslock to -6an
5/16 pushlock to -6an
-6an to -6an 180 degree fitting
50490F6D-7F1B-4075-945C-C3152D4FA275.jpeg
3471661F-2FC7-463B-B2A1-8366AB7448FF.jpeg
11BAB01A-64BE-4474-B510-807879BD6D65.jpeg

8F246A8D-7379-48DE-B06F-5F7D6C19F2F7.jpeg
Apparently, you're not the only one that has experienced this. The 22 Jul 2022 video shows the same failure on the same trail.

I like your explanation and suggestion, but I'm wondering if just carrying the entire Fuel Filter kit (68382328AB) might be a better option. From your pictures, it looks like the kit includes those broken pieces. Can you confirm this? Thoughts?

I wasn't planning on replacing the fuel tank skid as a weight saving measure (I'm one of those very concerned with extra vehicle weight) but these reports of broken filters have me worried. Is there a lightweight skid that can cover just the filter housing vs. having a large integrated fuel tank & filter skid? Has anyone built a custom lightweight simple skid just for the filter?

OP
OP
Motoristx

Motoristx

First Name
Bryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon 3.0 Diesel
Build Thread
Link
SO there is a main housing, and a cap that is removable to access the filter element. Mine broke at the top of the housing where the fuel supply line from the tank goes. I also damaged the cap in a manor that the drain valve broke off. In my case I needed both parts.

It looks like he only broke the cap, a couple of times, but managed not to spring a leak from the main housing.

Try looking for an off road specific shop with a reputable fabricator. I think it would be easy to reinforce that whole plate system that holds the housing, and still be removable for filter access. Also, if you’re not going to be dragging the belly over rocks, I wouldn’t worry about it so much.

BDinTX

First Name
Brad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLU Rubicon Recon, 2021 JLU Rubicon
I got an Asfir two piece skid set to cover the oil pad/transmission and the fuel filter. It took some hits in Moab but I don’t know that I’d trust it on the Rubicon. I’ve seen three cases now of fuel filter housing getting schwacked on that trail. Seems to be an Achilles heel on these diesels.

https://www.asfir.com/skid-plate-set-547555b.html

Jeep Wrangler JL EcoDiesel JLU Rubicon Broke down on Rubicon Trail, Broken Fuel Separator Housing 89D03C57-34B4-4820-8EBD-01B41E30407B

Last edited:

Yellerdowg

First Name
MARK
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU Rubicon Ecodiesel
Do you have a picture of the fuel filter pushlock release tools?

Sponsored

OP
OP
Motoristx

Motoristx

First Name
Bryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon 3.0 Diesel
Build Thread
Link
Do you have a picture of the fuel filter pushlock release tools?
I bought both of these that day to make the repairs on the trail. I think I had better luck with the individual ones than with the set.

Jeep Wrangler JL EcoDiesel JLU Rubicon Broke down on Rubicon Trail, Broken Fuel Separator Housing 1709223315201

Aonar

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2012 Rubi and Snazzy 2021 JLURD
I too installed the Asfir fuel filter skid after trail damage.

The 1st time I only scratched the stock skid when at stock height running the 3 (at that time) badge trails at the Hot Springs Off Road Park.

The second time (still stock) was not catastrophic but could have been. After returning from Moab, I noticed a small leak about half way back on the Jeep. I crawled under and sure enough it was diesel fuel.

The cup-style skid bent and twisted, putting pressure on the filter. This was enough to ever so slightly unseat the gasket.

I replaced the OEM with a new one then added the Asfir. Attached is the install vid. I will also try to find and attach the damaged skid pics.

The first real test for the Asfir skid will be this Spring in the Black Hills. The next will be in September when we head back to Moab then Colorado.

Will report back if needed.

zouch

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
XJ, JLUWD
this sort of story is one of the reasons i did a full aluminum belly pan after seeing the underside of my EcoD.

as someone who slides over stuff, it seemed like the best compromise between the protection i wanted and the lowest added weight.

Sponsored

Aonar

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2012 Rubi and Snazzy 2021 JLURD
this sort of story is one of the reasons i did a full aluminum belly pan after seeing the underside of my EcoD.

as someone who slides over stuff, it seemed like the best compromise between the protection i wanted and the lowest added weight.
Have you yet bounced around on the aluminum? I am curious what I can expect for my delicate fuel filter.

Grayhound

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jlurd
How do you handle getting mud and debris off of skid plates? I’m finding it challenging to keep the underside from caking up when I take it off road with the stock skid protection. I do worry about the fuel separator every time I hear it scrape.

zouch

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
XJ, JLUWD
i’ve done a fair bit of sliding on it so far and it seems to be managing fine.
but i generally avoid “bouncing” so can’t really say, i guess.

one bonus is that the stuff i used actually raises the Fuel Filter a tiny bit, too.

Have you yet bounced around on the aluminum? I am curious what I can expect for my delicate fuel filter.
Sponsored