Sponsored

EcoDiesel JLU Rubicon Broke down on Rubicon Trail, Broken Fuel Separator Housing

Motoristx

First Name
Bryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon 3.0 Diesel
Build Thread
Link
Hey Guys, this is Eco Diesel Specific, as I broke My fuel Separator on the Rubicon trail.
This is here to share my experience, so that other's may pull from this, if they have a similar problem.

I did the Rubicon trail in my 2020 JLURD last week. First Off, I have 39 inch BFGoodrich KM3s woth a 3.5 inch lift in front, and a 4.5 inch lift in rear. I only have the stock skids. The aftermarket skids I had ordered, did not come in on time for the trip. The trail did seem harder than the last time I did it (2017 in a JKUR on 33's).

At the bottom of Cadillac Hill, moving towards Observation point, there is a bit of a rock slab 2 turn before you start to climb the hill. I bottomed out on a rock slab and it hit in just the right spot. I actually hit the stock skid that covers the fuel filter/water separator. It really didn't hit that hard, but it was enough to stop me. What this did, was push the stock skid, round skid with a "drop" cutout, up. Seeing as the housing for the separator is actually bolted to one of the 3 pieces of the skid, the whole housing was pushed up along with the skids. This ended up pushing the top of the housing into the floorboard of the tub, breaking one of the plastic lines. the line that broke was the line coming from the fuel tank to the housing. As you can imagine, no fuel to the engine, engine shuts off! I had to be pulled about 15 feet to get off of the main trail, and onto the slab.

After I examined the skids and fuel lines, I noticed the skids that support the separator to the framerail are held in with Nutserts. There are 3 nutserts. All these nutserts were loosened by the impact, and required me to wedge a screwdriver in there to get the bolts out.

This happened about 5pm, so by the time I figured out what broke and got off the trail and into cell service, the dealerships were all closed. By the way, I was with a small group, they helped out and didn't leave me.

I got lucky and a dealership in Reno had the part in stock, so I picked it up the next day, as well as parts to bypass the filter to get me off the trail if that wasn't the only problem.

Here are some details about the Fuel Filter/Water Separator housing:
Mopar Part Number 68382328AB
Cost $137 at the dealership
5/16 pushlock on the inlet side
3/8 pushlock on the outlet side
it has 2 plugs: 1 is for a fuel heater, 1 is for the water sensor.
I was told that it can be bypassed, but need to leave the plugs in place so it doesn't throw any codes. This way I could at least drive it off the trail. I didn't end up having to do this, so it is unverified at the moment.

The fuel line pushlock release tools are needed, one in 3/8 and one in 5/16. the little white round ones work best.

Disclaimer: Bypassing the Fuel Filter/water separator housing is for extreme circumstances only, just to get the engine running for towing off a trail, or driving off the trail under it's own power. I do not recommend bypassing the housing for any circumstances where a tow truck would be available pick up the Jeep and tow to a safe location.

Parts to Bypass the housing, just to get off the trail, or in a spot for a tow truck to get it:
3/8 pushlock tubing and 5/16 pushlock tubing, both male ends can be pushed into the fuel lines and a rubber fuel hose and clamps can be used to tie them together. This can be both at just about all Autozone and O'Reilys auto parts stores. May need a tubing cutter for the tubing.

Same thing can be done with brake lines, just make sure one is 3/8 OD and other is 5/16 OD. This will require something to hold the lines in place, like zip ties and chemical resistant tape. If nothing is available to hold the lines in place, in this situation, the lines will pop out due to the pressure. Again will need a rubber hose and clamps to tie them together in a "U".

I bought a couple of fittings from Amazon once I got home, to throw in my kit "just in case":
3/8 puslock to -6an
5/16 pushlock to -6an
-6an to -6an 180 degree fitting

Jeep Wrangler JL EcoDiesel JLU Rubicon Broke down on Rubicon Trail, Broken Fuel Separator Housing 50490F6D-7F1B-4075-945C-C3152D4FA275

Jeep Wrangler JL EcoDiesel JLU Rubicon Broke down on Rubicon Trail, Broken Fuel Separator Housing 7F6F3C60-0193-4F39-B91B-264719349AB5

Jeep Wrangler JL EcoDiesel JLU Rubicon Broke down on Rubicon Trail, Broken Fuel Separator Housing DE88CFFC-CAFC-4856-BBC5-209A9BBAA720

Jeep Wrangler JL EcoDiesel JLU Rubicon Broke down on Rubicon Trail, Broken Fuel Separator Housing 21E72DF5-C3AF-4B97-B186-2EF2D2E797A7

Jeep Wrangler JL EcoDiesel JLU Rubicon Broke down on Rubicon Trail, Broken Fuel Separator Housing 15809937-6C44-4125-8676-41F840D3AF48

Jeep Wrangler JL EcoDiesel JLU Rubicon Broke down on Rubicon Trail, Broken Fuel Separator Housing 8F246A8D-7379-48DE-B06F-5F7D6C19F2F7

Jeep Wrangler JL EcoDiesel JLU Rubicon Broke down on Rubicon Trail, Broken Fuel Separator Housing D552E5BA-7A7B-453D-BDE0-B64E3AA758B8

Jeep Wrangler JL EcoDiesel JLU Rubicon Broke down on Rubicon Trail, Broken Fuel Separator Housing 3471661F-2FC7-463B-B2A1-8366AB7448FF

Jeep Wrangler JL EcoDiesel JLU Rubicon Broke down on Rubicon Trail, Broken Fuel Separator Housing 164B58D3-C434-45A3-8CDF-95667F50397A

Jeep Wrangler JL EcoDiesel JLU Rubicon Broke down on Rubicon Trail, Broken Fuel Separator Housing 11BAB01A-64BE-4474-B510-807879BD6D65
Sponsored

Last edited:

calemasters

First Name
Allen
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Rubicon Unlimited, & Escalade
Occupation
Retired Mechanical Engineer
I purchased the fuel filter kit last week. The dealer charged $94 plus tax. I agree the fuel filter housing needs more robust protection. :)

grimmjeeper

First Name
Roy
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.grimmjeeper.com
Vehicle(s)
2021 Wrangler, 1987 Comanche, 1997 F250
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
enginerd

Sponsored

NCJL

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Rubicon
Thanks for the info. I was surprised by the lack of factory skids when I first looked under the JLUR. Even more surprised when I got my JLURD. Good to wheel with friends.

JLURD

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Compass Latitude 6MT, 2020 JLUR 3.0
Thanks for the write up…sounds like a pain in the ass and gets me wondering about running mine on that trail with 37s on a 2.75” lift. You figure a different approach would mitigate risk in that spot or just plan on scraping bad?

OP
OP
Motoristx

Motoristx

First Name
Bryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon 3.0 Diesel
Build Thread
Link
Thanks for the write up…sounds like a pain in the ass and gets me wondering about running mine on that trail with 37s on a 2.75” lift. You figure a different approach would mitigate risk in that spot or just plan on scraping bad?
I honestly think I just got Unlucky, and hit it just right. I actually didn’t have a good view of the obstacle I was going over when it happened, and could have probably avoided it. However, that’s what the skids are for right? When we slip up and miss something, or have a momentary lapse of judgment.

I also smashed a fender on a rock earlier in the day do to a slip in focusing on what was in front of me.

it wouldn’t take much to reinforce the stock skid over the separator. 1 triangle piece of 1/4 in steel would probably do the trick. I actually never hit any piece of my exhaust, or emissions stuff, and that’s what I was actually worried about.

No Spark V6

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Rubi 3.0 GCM
Clubs

I actually never hit any piece of my exhaust, or emissions stuff, and that’s what I was actually worried about.
I have some scrapes on my separator filter skid, rear diff skid, and pretty much everything else but also nothing on the def tank/exhaust, which is surprising. I'm finding myself getting much better at tire placement and minimizing scraping, and I'm stock ride height at the moment. Full belly skids are next on my list.

GSLSE21B

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 jLURD
Just busted the line on mine today . Cracked in the same spot without damage to the metal skid. Looks like it’s an issue without and with skid protection
Jeep Wrangler JL EcoDiesel JLU Rubicon Broke down on Rubicon Trail, Broken Fuel Separator Housing 5CC8E5A4-0948-467B-AED8-7F46772258AC

Last edited:

Sponsored

Rangemaster

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JL Rubicon Diesel
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Business Owner
Just busted the line on mine today . Cracked in the same spot without damage to the metal skid. Looks like it’s an issue without and with skid protection
here is a look at mine with skid protection.

Jeep Wrangler JL EcoDiesel JLU Rubicon Broke down on Rubicon Trail, Broken Fuel Separator Housing 8FFA0C43-30D7-4865-B87C-5350386E1475

Rangemaster

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JL Rubicon Diesel
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Business Owner
Love these going to get them for my 392.
they are heavy, but now I dont have to worry about anything when offroad taking out my jeep.
Just got back from a evening trail ride with my son.
Jeep Wrangler JL EcoDiesel JLU Rubicon Broke down on Rubicon Trail, Broken Fuel Separator Housing A313C332-756C-4B31-A220-669840FA27F9

alksion

First Name
Josiah
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 Rubicon 392, 21 Sahara Altitude
Occupation
Biz Owner
they are heavy, but now I dont have to worry about anything when offroad taking out my jeep.
Just got back from a evening trail ride with my son.
Jeep Wrangler JL EcoDiesel JLU Rubicon Broke down on Rubicon Trail, Broken Fuel Separator Housing A313C332-756C-4B31-A220-669840FA27F9
Awesome pic. I bet the father son bonding time was rad. My dad and I are polar opposites. Good man, but we don’t vibe like that.

How heavy are yours?

Rangemaster

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JL Rubicon Diesel
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Business Owner
Awesome pic. I bet the father son bonding time was rad. My dad and I are polar opposites. Good man, but we don’t vibe like that.

How heavy are yours?
I have no idea, I do know that its very heavy when I had to install 1.5” spacer on top of the 3.5” rock krawler springs to get it level In the rear.
Sponsored