OP
OP
Yardstick

Yardstick

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler JLURD, Tundra, 4Runner, Sprinter
As an update - We had no problems on the trip. The only winter diesel treatment I could find was the stuff by Power Service. I got some winterizing windshield washer fluid additive too. On the way down we used some of the factory windshield washer fluid. There still wasn't much space for the additive - only about half the bottle went in and it nearly filled the reservoir to the top. I checked at the last fuel station before the coldest area we would go and they said they were dispensing a winter blend diesel. I also got diesel when we got to the coldest town we would be in. I didn't end up using the fuel additive. Only the LX4 stuff. It dropped from 26F when we arrived to 9F the next morning. It was 10F by the time we were starting the Jeep and getting on the road again. I probably didn't need to do it, but I used the remote start to fire it up and let the heated seats and steering wheel bring the temperature up a little bit. Those are some nice features to have! We had removed most things in the Jeep that could freeze but a couple of things were surprising. The LX4 diesel additive clouds up a LOT and it doesn't thaw easily or quickly. And antibacterial wipes will freeze into a solid mass. It also takes a long time to heat up that transmission in the cold. The coolant and engine oil get up to temperature a lot faster. I drove pretty slow, even on the highway, until the transmission temperature started getting well into the triple digits.
Sponsored

JLUR Farout

First Name
M
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 JLU Rubicon Farout
As an update - We had no problems on the trip. The only winter diesel treatment I could find was the stuff by Power Service. I got some winterizing windshield washer fluid additive too. On the way down we used some of the factory windshield washer fluid. There still wasn't much space for the additive - only about half the bottle went in and it nearly filled the reservoir to the top. I checked at the last fuel station before the coldest area we would go and they said they were dispensing a winter blend diesel. I also got diesel when we got to the coldest town we would be in. I didn't end up using the fuel additive. Only the LX4 stuff. It dropped from 26F when we arrived to 9F the next morning. It was 10F by the time we were starting the Jeep and getting on the road again. I probably didn't need to do it, but I used the remote start to fire it up and let the heated seats and steering wheel bring the temperature up a little bit. Those are some nice features to have! We had removed most things in the Jeep that could freeze but a couple of things were surprising. The LX4 diesel additive clouds up a LOT and it doesn't thaw easily or quickly. And antibacterial wipes will freeze into a solid mass. It also takes a long time to heat up that transmission in the cold. The coolant and engine oil get up to temperature a lot faster. I drove pretty slow, even on the highway, until the transmission temperature started getting well into the triple digits.
I am laughing because I've lived in Twin Cities, Bemidji, and by Green Bay plus born and raised in PA, now living in WA. I suppose if you've never been to a cold climate that stuff would be surprising. Ever used an outhouse for over a week with temps below zero the whole time? Glad your trip went well. Also for cold weather not much beats PS white bottle.