Sponsored

EcoDiesel hesitation from a stop

Yardstick

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler JLURD, Tundra, 4Runner, Sprinter
Has anyone else experienced a hesitation from a stop with the EcoDiesel? I've had this happen a couple of times now with my JLURD. Last night I was in a left turn lane at a light. When the light turned green I took my foot off the brake and started applying the throttle lightly to get going. The engine sort of shuddered a bit and it took a moment to get the vehicle moving. ESS was disabled with the button so the engine was idling during the stop. I've had two other experiences with similar effects. One of the other times it was on the road, again at a stop and idling and just pressing the throttle lightly like normal didn't get the Jeep moving like I expected. I pushed a little more and then it surged ahead. Still another time I had what felt like a low idle shudder while off-roading. It only lasted a few seconds and I thought it might have had something to do with the A/C compressor kicking on since it was a hot day and we were getting in and out of the Jeep to scout obstacles on a trail. I'm curious if there's something I should look for or if I should have the dealer take a look. The Jeep has ~3200 miles on it now.
Sponsored

BUSHRVN

First Name
MONTE
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
WRANGLER JLU SAHARA HIGH ALTITUDE 3.0
Itā€™s referred to as ā€œdead peddleā€ on the Ram Cummins trucks. I have a Ram 3500 and if you start to move with any amount of throttle and let off ever so slightly, then press again, youā€™ll get the dead peddle hesitation then a big surge of power. I have noticed this to a lesser degree in my JL diesel to. It partially has to with building boost, then backing off a little then again trying to build boost again. Boost takes time to rebuild. This is especially the case on the Rams with a variable geometry turbo which I donā€™t know what these ecodiesels turbos have.
In my truck, you donā€™t change your mind half way through playing chicken because youā€™ll get T-boned!

Antonio

First Name
Antonio
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JLU Rubicon diesel
Has anyone else experienced a hesitation from a stop with the EcoDiesel? I've had this happen a couple of times now with my JLURD. Last night I was in a left turn lane at a light. When the light turned green I took my foot off the brake and started applying the throttle lightly to get going. The engine sort of shuddered a bit and it took a moment to get the vehicle moving. ESS was disabled with the button so the engine was idling during the stop. I've had two other experiences with similar effects. One of the other times it was on the road, again at a stop and idling and just pressing the throttle lightly like normal didn't get the Jeep moving like I expected. I pushed a little more and then it surged ahead. Still another time I had what felt like a low idle shudder while off-roading. It only lasted a few seconds and I thought it might have had something to do with the A/C compressor kicking on since it was a hot day and we were getting in and out of the Jeep to scout obstacles on a trail. I'm curious if there's something I should look for or if I should have the dealer take a look. The Jeep has ~3200 miles on it now.
Where did you get the diesel?? Could be a possibility if you filled up at a random station vs where youā€™ve been getting diesel from?? Itā€™s my understanding that itā€™s better to get diesel from a station that has a higher turn around, which sells lots of diesel fuel so itā€™s sort of fresher. Could be a possible problem, Iā€™ve also read of a few members reporting issues with water in the fuel line/filter donā€™t quote me exactly on this I know Iā€™ve seen it but donā€™t recall the exact location but they had a warning light in the dash, I would definitely consider having it looked at if itā€™s been happening more then on a few occasions, Iā€™m fairly new to this engine and just broke the 1 K miles this week and no signs of any hesitation from a stop at all, actually very impressive punch when taking off from a stop light etc, I have no upgrades stock vehicle so far.

JL Diesel

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
ā€˜22 JL Diesel Sport S
Itā€™s referred to as ā€œdead peddleā€ on the Ram Cummins trucks. I have a Ram 3500 and if you start to move with any amount of throttle and let off ever so slightly, then press again, youā€™ll get the dead peddle hesitation then a big surge of power. I have noticed this to a lesser degree in my JL diesel to. It partially has to with building boost, then backing off a little then again trying to build boost again. Boost takes time to rebuild. This is especially the case on the Rams with a variable geometry turbo which I donā€™t know what these ecodiesels turbos have.
In my truck, you donā€™t change your mind half way through playing chicken because youā€™ll get T-boned!
Iā€™ve been experiencing some ā€˜dead pedalā€™ trying to go slow downhill sometimes when Im trying to be touch and go on the gas. I think this explains it. Thanks.

Sponsored

OP
OP
Yardstick

Yardstick

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Both times this happened while trying to move out from a dead stop on flat ground with consistent throttle application. Not a blip and release or hold and release that might spool up the turbo. Definitely scary though and I've driven a few carbureted vehicles with similar off-idle hesitations. I tell people that my reluctance to use the ESS is because of the PTSD of having those carbureted vehicles die in intersections. I'll be wary of the dead pedal effect.

Where did you get the diesel?? Could be a possibility if you filled up at a random station vs where youā€™ve been getting diesel from?? Itā€™s my understanding that itā€™s better to get diesel from a station that has a higher turn around, which sells lots of diesel fuel so itā€™s sort of fresher. Could be a possible problem, Iā€™ve also read of a few members reporting issues with water in the fuel line/filter donā€™t quote me exactly on this I know Iā€™ve seen it but donā€™t recall the exact location but they had a warning light in the dash, I would definitely consider having it looked at if itā€™s been happening more then on a few occasions, Iā€™m fairly new to this engine and just broke the 1 K miles this week and no signs of any hesitation from a stop at all, actually very impressive punch when taking off from a stop light etc, I have no upgrades stock vehicle so far.
I think each time I've had diesel from a different station in the Jeep. Once was with fuel from a station that I've used multiple times. I should probably start keeping notes when this happens so I can cross check with the fuel and maintenance notes I'm already keeping.

rickinAZ

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Rubicon EcoDiesel (11th Jeep)
Occupation
Retired CFO. Mayo Clinic volunteer.
Try a throttle enhancer. It will transform your driving experience. Jeep has seemed to engineer in an off-the-line hesitation. If this is what you are feeling, a throttle enhancer will completely remedy it. [doesn't hurt to try it - money back guarantee; ten minute bone-headedly simple install]. They are all pretty much the same.

OP
OP
Yardstick

Yardstick

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Try a throttle enhancer. It will transform your driving experience. Jeep has seemed to engineer in an off-the-line hesitation. If this is what you are feeling, a throttle enhancer will completely remedy it. [doesn't hurt to try it - money back guarantee; ten minute bone-headedly simple install]. They are all pretty much the same.
Most of the time the Jeep feels great. I could use a throttle enhancer on my Tundra and 4-Runner. By comparison the Jeep feels like a sports car.

rickinAZ

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Rubicon EcoDiesel (11th Jeep)
Occupation
Retired CFO. Mayo Clinic volunteer.
Most of the time the Jeep feels great. I could use a throttle enhancer on my Tundra and 4-Runner. By comparison the Jeep feels like a sports car.
And...Tundras/4-Runners are not nearly the ideal candidates as an Ecodiesel. Really, without a turbo, the impact is minimal. You won't be close to disappointed. This forum is full of positive experiences (on the Ecodiesel).

Deleted member 59498

It was a good 300 dollar upgrade for Banks. I just got the stand alone. But I never had that kind of hesitation before owning the enhancer.
Sponsored