Sponsored

EcoDiesel Engine Concerns? (Cam gear slip)

Status
Not open for further replies.

JTGirl

First Name
Evelyn
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1999 Ford Ranger
Occupation
3D Design Engineer

NewApexJT

First Name
Andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2008 Ford Ranger, 2018 Nissan Frontier
Occupation
Mechanical Engineer
I don't think there will be any major issues by the time the new models are released. Most major issues are worked out in the first few years. I also doubt FCA would allow a flagship engine have such a critical failure at such a low mileage.

The Great Grape Ape

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 JKU AspenX 5spd , 2015 JK Sport 6spd
I don't give this article much cedibility, because all the linked 'support' has no actual support, especially the "serious problem" link in the article leads to " 0 " occurrences. And not surprisingly every comment and forum comment about it say the article is full of BS, and go into detail debunking it.

Also, as pertaining to Jeep the author seem to forget that FCA was previously part owner and partnered with VM long before 2013, and had used their engines before the EcoDiesel for Jeeps, in fact it hasn't stopped using the 2.8L CRD for Jeep since its introduction.

That article is so full of fail, I wouldn't be concerned about it, especially for something that has "0" occurences, and is covered by the diesel powertrain warranty's 5yrs/100K miles. It even seems the article uses the 70K mark to cause fear, because they mistakenly think the warranty is only 60K like the gasoline engines.

I think the more research you do, the more you'll see that this article and the Youtube video it links to are little more than click-bait.

DosEcoDiesels

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 Ram 1500 Outdoorsman Ecodiesel, 2014 Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited Ecodiesel
I own 2 ecodiesels, both ram and jeep, and i am a member of ram1500diesel.com forum. it is a great forum with tons of info on this engine. I would not buy another ecodiesel again. Ram/jeep is currently not able to sell the ecodiesel because they did not pass emissions and may not be able to for a while. i am actually hoping for a buyback option from the lawsuit similar to VW emissions scandle but i am not holding my breath. I actually will never buy another diesel vehicle ever again unless it is a Cummins. The cummins seems to be the only emmissions equipped engine that has not had major issues. I actually had my Ecodiesel engine replaced under warranty at 54,000 miles in my Ram because of catastrofic engine failure. Many others have had this issue also. I have also had many other issues between both engines including multiple SCR replacements, fuel regulator replacements, casting sand in coolant, and coolant leaks. On the other had there is an EcoD on the forum with over 300,000 mile with zero issues and almost all those miles are towing. Most of the engine failure have been from spun main bearings not cam gear slippage and many have also had oil cooler failures. I hope they put a different diesel engine into the JL/JT as i will never buy another Ecodiesel. I love driving the diesel but it is not worth the headache unless you tow on a regular basis. short trips murder this engine and the egr soots up the oil fast. I bought the ecodiesel for the mpg but i now will always put reliability over mpg. I am holding out to see what the JL/JT looks like once released. It is FCA's last chance to keep me as a customer, I will be comparing it to the Toyota Tacoma/Tundra and we will see what i go with. I love jeeps and used to love Ram but the quality control is aweful. I am not trying to talk anyone out of buying a jeep at all, but my point is that I would not expect to see the current ecodiesel be an option for the JL/JT. At best i would expect a new inline 6 diesel be an option later in the model life.

The Great Grape Ape

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 JKU AspenX 5spd , 2015 JK Sport 6spd
Ram/jeep is currently not able to sell the ecodiesel because they did not pass emissions and may not be able to for a while. i am actually hoping for a buyback option from the lawsuit similar to VW emissions scandle but i am not holding my breath.
The VW issue is different from the EcoDiesel issue. There are some minor similarities, but the extent of which is Apple to Oranges. The ED still passes emissions with those 8 pieces of code removed, the issue is that FCA did not disclose the 8 programming that changes profile for cold weather etc. and only 2 of those would even possibly influence testing, but hasn't been shown to. That the ED's were updatable through software, unlike the VW's in and of itself is a major difference. The EPA also dragged out testing for this model year with many 2017s being delayed late into last year and this year, with FCA being left to last, exacerbating the issue.

I actually will never buy another diesel vehicle ever again unless it is a Cummins. The cummins seems to be the only emmissions equipped engine that has not had major issues.
Depends on what you think is a 'major issue' , 570,000+ Cummins diesels sold to FCA that fail to meet EPA physical emissions requirements seems 'more major' than the ~105,000 EcoDiesels software issues in question.

https://www.epa.gov/enforcement/cummins-inc-settlement

I will be comparing it to the Toyota Tacoma/Tundra and we will see what i go with. I love jeeps and used to love Ram but the quality control is aweful.
Yeah, Toyota's not doing well in the JD powers rankings losing out to Chevy in both category classes (and Nissan for midsize) for initial quality.
For a diesel options, the Chevy rebadged VM 2.8L is doing OK despite its own teething pains, and the 5.0L in the Nissan is making that a much more compelling option than those from Toyota.

At best i would expect a new inline 6 diesel be an option later in the model life.
Not likely. If the ED doesn't make it sooner rather than later it will be displaced by the Hybrid and a much smaller diesel. 6-cylinder diesel for passenger vehicles is already a tough sell in North America, and it won't get easier with more years of improvements on the other platforms.

Sponsored

Kickin'Chicken

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'81 Scrambler

WXman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler Unlimited
Occupation
Meteorology and Transportation
Too bad they can't bring the 4.0 back.
Which 4.0? The one that was as heavy as an anvil, got terrible fuel economy, leaked oil like a sieve, had issues with the heads cracking between #3 and #4 cylinder, made very little power, clattered like a diesel, and had a crank position sensor that was impossible to get to?

Naa... that was OK back in the 1990s. We're WAY beyond that kind of boat anchor under the hood now days. There are engine rebuilders who have gotten rich off that junk Jeep sold us in the pre-Daimler era.

Billy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1997 TJ, 2022 JTRD
Vehicle Showcase
My 4.0 is almost old enough to go drinking, has 245k, no oil leaks, no head cracking, ZERO problems.
Sponsored

Status
Not open for further replies.