Sponsored

Ecodiesel Engine Bay - Is There Room for Any Mods?

First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2002 Toyota 4runner SR5
I haven't actually gotten my hands on a Wrangler diesel in person. So I was watching the video from Case 250 on YouTube when he picked up his JLURD with great interest. The first thing that came into my mind when he popped the hood was "Wow, there isn't a lot of room in there". Two things jumped out at me immediately:

1. I'm not sure there would be room for a dual battery set up, even with extensive alterations to existing components.
2. The air intake is on the other side than the 3.6! This means that petrol versions of the snorkel that I've had my eye on won't work with the diesel. New designs will have to be made, and the snorkel will be on the driver's side.

Looking at the two engine bays side by side, there isn't a ton more room with the 3.6 liter, so maybe I'm just feeling pessimistic.

Here's the EcoDiesel:
Jeep Wrangler JL Ecodiesel Engine Bay - Is There Room for Any Mods? Ecodiesel

And here is the 3.6:

Jeep Wrangler JL Ecodiesel Engine Bay - Is There Room for Any Mods? 3.6 Liter

I've heard the area down around the wheel wells is also more crowded with goodies, which makes me wonder whether fitting an ARB dual compressor under the hood is possible with the oil burner. Luckily, I'm sure there are clever individuals with far more ingenuity than I working on how to cram a mod or two under the hood as I write this. That being said, I'd love to hear your thoughts on what you plan to fit under the hood of your diesel. What are your thoughts on the engine bay of the Wrangler Ecodiesel? Do you think there is more or less room to fit modifications under the hood than with the 3.6?
Sponsored

Compression-Ignition

First Name
Roy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR 3.0 Diesel, 2020 6.7L F350
There is indeed less available room under the hood of a diesel equipped Wrangler. Having said that I think mods can still be fitted. IMO the caveat is that for the 1 additional item you'd like to add to or for a system you may have to also change/reroute 2 or 3 other (non-related) components to shoehorn your mod in.

I think I've found a spot to mount a bypass oil filter setup, but it's gonna be tight. You're gonna have to REALLY want to mod a diesel to fit anything else under that hood. Definitely interested to see what people come up with.

MCJA

First Name
Matthew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon EcoDiesel
I've encountered some "no-go" mods that I was initially planning on installing. For example, the UpDownAir control module that fits the gas JLs won't fit the diesel JL because the battery and fuse box are arranged differently.

There are a couple of spots where one could add an item or two:
  • Behind the radiator on the right side, near the fuse box
  • Above the brake valves / in front of the master cylinder
  • Next to the battery on the right side
I installed a fuse box next to the OEM PDC (write-up coming soon).

There's room... it's just tight.

WXman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler Unlimited
Occupation
Meteorology and Transportation
The part that perplexes me the most is the air intake relocation. Why did they move that to the driver side? Like you said it makes the Mopar CAI unusable, and it also adds time to oil filter changes. Looks like the fuse box is where the air box used to be...why couldn't those two things swap places?

OP
OP
First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2002 Toyota 4runner SR5
The part that perplexes me the most is the air intake relocation. Why did they move that to the driver side? Like you said it makes the Mopar CAI unusable, and it also adds time to oil filter changes. Looks like the fuse box is where the air box used to be...why couldn't those two things swap places?
Good point about the air box. You've started me wondering whether the aftermarket might create something like a 3.6 liter retrofit for the airbox in the diesel?

Sponsored

shufly09

First Name
Alex
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ecodiesel JL (ordered)
Probably an unpopular opinion, but I don't think an ARB compressor is worth it. The only reason I had one in my previous vehicle (highly modified 2015 4Runner) was for my front air-locker, and as a backup for my power tank. I used my power tank almost exclusively to air up my tires. It's faster, cheaper, and much more reliable than any vehicle installed compressor. I'd wheel twice a month, and the tank would last all season re-filling 35" tires.

Reactions: GtX

AC77

First Name
AC Abegian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22 Jeep Wrangler diesel Sahara Altitude , 94 MKIV
Occupation
Autobody , singer-songwriter
take a look at my mods so far
Sponsored