Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep JL EcoDiesel
Occupation
Card Dealer
Hi everyone,
I have a 2021 JL ECODIESEL. I’m trying to figure out which bracket works best for it. I see there is a huge thread but I can’t find to many Diesel’s. Can you guys send me any knowledge on your builds with the Diesel or links to the best mounts. I’m doing arb lockers front and rear as well. I hear it the gear oil can become stinky if compressor mounted inside the cab so I’d prefer under hood.
Thank you!
Sponsored

Last edited:

Headbarcode

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR Stingray 2.0 turbo
Vehicle Showcase
Hi everyone,
I have a 2021 JL ECODIESEL. I’m trying to figure out which bracket works best for it. I see there is a huge thread but I can’t find to many Diesel’s. Can you guys send me any knowledge on your builds with the Diesel or links to the best mounts. I’m doing arb lockers front and rear as well. I hear it the gear oil can become stinky if compressor mounted inside the cab so I’d prefer under hood.
Thank you!
You will not get gear oil smell by having the compressor in the cabin.

OP
OP
Cman

Cman

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep JL EcoDiesel
Occupation
Card Dealer
Not aware of under the hood diesel option mount for the ARB compressor. I will be mounting mine in the rear tub in the next week after I get more 12v wire to extend the harness to the battery.
Please post some photos I’d like to see it.

OP
OP
Cman

Cman

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep JL EcoDiesel
Occupation
Card Dealer
You will not get gear oil smell by having the compressor in the cabin.
that’s what my mechanic told me. He mentioned if you don’t use the lockers for a period of time the lines will vent through the compressor. Do you have arb air lockers or have any first hand knowledge? Any info or knowledge would be appreciated.

Sponsored

Headbarcode

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
that’s what my mechanic told me. He mentioned if you don’t use the lockers for a period of time the lines will vent through the compressor. Do you have arb air lockers or have any first hand knowledge? Any info or knowledge would be appreciated.
I've got an ARB twin compressor and their locker manifold was an available option for the compressor and mount package that I got from Northridge 4x4. I got it for future use, as I may go with air lockers down the line. This has me hands on familiar with the compressor itself.

I'm a former truck and heavy equipment mechanic of over 30 years, so I've spent a lot of time with their compressors, air brake systems, and various air-actuated accessories like the power take off systems that engage hydraulic systems. I've come across a lot of mechanics that had no business in the trade, and often times were the reason why I had to charge the poor customer more than I would've if it wasn't for the added mess made by that guy. Not trying to knock a guy I don't know, but not looking into something before advising a customer is not how one instills confidence from someone willing to pay them.

The ARB locker is spring loaded in the open position, so compressed air is only used to lock and hold. This surge of air is contained in a diaphragm driven piston assembly that is sealed from the environment of the gearset and oil sump. The exhausted air from unlocking is vented into the carrier, which already has its own breather tube that vents to the outside. I'm not at all saying that gear oil smell couldn't possibly back flow the piping and compressor and exit into the cabin through the compressor intake filters. But it would take a specific failure of the locker diaphragm to cause that, so smell would be the least of your issues at that point.

The only real concern is the couple seconds of compressor noise upon locking. This can be greatly reduced by locating the compressor in the rear cubby under the cargo floor. There's plenty of room to house the twin compressor, the locker manifold, and solenoids for the front and rear lockers. Also, that location opens up some options for easily getting the air lines to the axles, via a couple of bulk head fittings through the floor of the body. Or at least some rubber grommets to keep that pass through water tight.

Apologies for running a bit long here. Just trying to be as informative as possible. Roky's gonna block me if he sees this. Twice in one week. Lol

OP
OP
Cman

Cman

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep JL EcoDiesel
Occupation
Card Dealer
I've got an ARB twin compressor and their locker manifold was an available option for the compressor and mount package that I got from Northridge 4x4. I got it for future use, as I may go with air lockers down the line. This has me hands on familiar with the compressor itself.

I'm a former truck and heavy equipment mechanic of over 30 years, so I've spent a lot of time with their compressors, air brake systems, and various air-actuated accessories like the power take off systems that engage hydraulic systems. I've come across a lot of mechanics that had no business in the trade, and often times were the reason why I had to charge the poor customer more than I would've if it wasn't for the added mess made by that guy. Not trying to knock a guy I don't know, but not looking into something before advising a customer is not how one instills confidence from someone willing to pay them.

The ARB locker is spring loaded in the open position, so compressed air is only used to lock and hold. This surge of air is contained in a diaphragm driven piston assembly that is sealed from the environment of the gearset and oil sump. The exhausted air from unlocking is vented into the carrier, which already has its own breather tube that vents to the outside. I'm not at all saying that gear oil smell couldn't possibly back flow the piping and compressor and exit into the cabin through the compressor intake filters. But it would take a specific failure of the locker diaphragm to cause that, so smell would be the least of your issues at that point.

The only real concern is the couple seconds of compressor noise upon locking. This can be greatly reduced by locating the compressor in the rear cubby under the cargo floor. There's plenty of room to house the twin compressor, the locker manifold, and solenoids for the front and rear lockers. Also, that location opens up some options for easily getting the air lines to the axles, via a couple of bulk head fittings through the floor of the body. Or at least some rubber grommets to keep that pass through water tight.

Apologies for running a bit long here. Just trying to be as informative as possible. Roky's gonna block me if he sees this. Twice in one week. Lol
No, I appreciate the info. This is my first time going through this so I’m trying to figure out location before the 8th when they install lockers and compressor. Apparently he has had a few Jeep’s he installed compressor under the front seat and he had them come back to the shop complaining about the smell. After contacting ARB they told him this is due to the compressor venting in the cabin and advised not to install in the cabin. But that’s being said the rear cubby sounds like a good option. And this being the diesel I know the engine compartment is a little different. So any info or input is appreciated.

FinnCustomKnives

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Wrangler Rubicon Ecodiesel
I mounted ours with the M.O.R.E. bracket just behind the rear seat on the driver side. Works great, but then again I don't use it for lockers

OP
OP
Cman

Cman

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep JL EcoDiesel
Occupation
Card Dealer
I mounted ours with the M.O.R.E. bracket just behind the rear seat on the driver side. Works great, but then again I don't use it for lockers
right, I know that’s a good spot just would hate to have my wife driving to work every day smelling gear oil so I’m a little confused on the lockers incorporated with the compressor.
Thanks for the reply.

Headbarcode

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
No, I appreciate the info. This is my first time going through this so I’m trying to figure out location before the 8th when they install lockers and compressor. Apparently he has had a few Jeep’s he installed compressor under the front seat and he had them come back to the shop complaining about the smell. After contacting ARB they told him this is due to the compressor venting in the cabin and advised not to install in the cabin. But that’s being said the rear cubby sounds like a good option. And this being the diesel I know the engine compartment is a little different. So any info or input is appreciated.
Now I'm curious about how the diff oil smell is making it into the cabin, when the air side of the locker cartridge is sealed to hold pressure against the unlock spring and there's only the supply air line running to it.

Again, just genuinely curious, not arguing. I've looked at the parts breakdown and read about how the cartridge functions. It's a pretty simple unit. Unless I'm missing something, only a leak in the pressure chamber diaphragm could introduce oil and its smell into the supply air line, while unlocked and not pressurized. At that point, the compressor would cycle multiple times while locked to maintain engagement.

Interested if anyone else has any thoughts.

Sponsored

brewski

First Name
Jack
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR-diesel
American Adventure Lab has a nice kit, but takes a ton of work to make it fit cleanly with OEM floor with the remote kit. It is what I have and happy with it. It is inside the cabin, but back trunk under the floor so maybe the smell won't be an issue. It is definitely a lot quieter back there than elsewhere in the cabin. I'm pretty particular in making things look like they were a factory option and I think the AAL kit can do that, but it will take a lot of trimming of ribs and such on rear trunk areas. I also like the battery in the back for the fridge and air compressor. But FYI, while I think it is a good product and a great customer service orientated company, it isn't a simple bolt it in install. You will need to take out a lot of beauty panels out of your rear and passenger side and multiple pieces need to be trimmed to allow cabling and tubing to run to keep that hidden look w/ still being able to put weight on your OEM floor.

OP
OP
Cman

Cman

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep JL EcoDiesel
Occupation
Card Dealer
American Adventure Lab has a nice kit, but takes a ton of work to make it fit cleanly with OEM floor with the remote kit. It is what I have and happy with it. It is inside the cabin, but back trunk under the floor so maybe the smell won't be an issue. It is definitely a lot quieter back there than elsewhere in the cabin. I'm pretty particular in making things look like they were a factory option and I think the AAL kit can do that, but it will take a lot of trimming of ribs and such on rear trunk areas. I also like the battery in the back for the fridge and air compressor. But FYI, while I think it is a good product and a great customer service orientated company, it isn't a simple bolt it in install. You will need to take out a lot of beauty panels out of your rear and passenger side and multiple pieces need to be trimmed to allow cabling and tubing to run to keep that hidden look w/ still being able to put weight on your OEM floor.
very good, do you have and pixs of the completed project? I’d like to see.
Thank you!

BAKNBLK

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JT diesel
Another option...IMO best.
If you have the room behind the passenger tail light like the JK's do install the smallest ARB compressor their. Its quite unlike a cabin mounted compressor.
Then get a Power Tank..
I can fill my all 4 40's with a Power Tank faster than any on board compressor their single 37.

brewski

First Name
Jack
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR-diesel
very good, do you have and pixs of the completed project? I’d like to see.
Thank you!
Not right now, my jeep is all pulled apart working on some things. I can get some in a week or so when I have it all back together.

GSLSE21B

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 jLURD
I have the ARB twin mounted under the passenger seat . Front and rear arb Dana 60 /14bolt . No smell inside the cabin . I also have a 2.5 gallon reserve tank mounted under the driver side frame rail . The tank is great for keeping the compressor from cycling often while switching the lockers on and off .
Sponsored