EnjoyLife

First Name
Darren
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 Camaro SS, 2018 Jeep Grand Cherokee Larado
Repost from another thread, as I posted it in a poor category:

I am looking at placing an order for a Rubicon 2020 in the next 3 or so months. My biggest hangup right now is deciding on an engine to use. I currently have a 2013 Camaro SS and obviously the Jeep won't compare on the speed. We also have a 2018 Grand Cherokee Larado (wife's car) and have no trouble with the speed in that. We are in St. Louis and my wife would like to get a horse (and trailer) in maybe 5 years. So we may need it for towing in the future.

My question is on the engine to choose. I have no idea what engine would fit my uses. Does the future 3.0-liter EcoDiesel V6 have better 0-60 times than the other two engines? I don't need the Jeep to go 90 MPH, but also don't want to be disappointed. I feel that I would be fine with the 3.6L and did test drive the 2.0 in the 2019 with the eTorque and was okay with that. However, the 2020 Rubicon will not have the eTorque.
Sponsored

VNT

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
SRT Challenger, 2015 Hemi Overland, 02 WJ 4.7, 2000 Durango, PT Cruisers, 2018 Punkn Sahara 2020 OB Rubicon
Wranglers cant tow, regardless of engine. look at the ratings,

get a gladiator if you wish to tow.

Dalingrin

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Repost from another thread, as I posted it in a poor category:

I am looking at placing an order for a Rubicon 2020 in the next 3 or so months. My biggest hangup right now is deciding on an engine to use. I currently have a 2013 Camaro SS and obviously the Jeep won't compare on the speed. We also have a 2018 Grand Cherokee Larado (wife's car) and have no trouble with the speed in that. We are in St. Louis and my wife would like to get a horse (and trailer) in maybe 5 years. So we may need it for towing in the future.

My question is on the engine to choose. I have no idea what engine would fit my uses. Does the future 3.0-liter EcoDiesel V6 have better 0-60 times than the other two engines? I don't need the Jeep to go 90 MPH, but also don't want to be disappointed. I feel that I would be fine with the 3.6L and did test drive the 2.0 in the 2019 with the eTorque and was okay with that. However, the 2020 Rubicon will not have the eTorque.
While you *might* be able to get a horse trailer and horse under the max tow rating of a JLU(3500 lbs), they aren't known for being an easy tow. IMO, the Jeep Wrangler isn't well suited. Lots of people have issues pulling bumper pull horse trailers with a full size truck. Towing a 3500 lbs RV is usually easier than a 3500 lbs horse and trailer. The main issue here is stability and braking, not the engine's ability to move it.

OP
OP

EnjoyLife

First Name
Darren
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 Camaro SS, 2018 Jeep Grand Cherokee Larado
Thank you for the insight. We don’t own a horse yet, but my wife would like one in the future. I was not aware of the resources needed to tow a horse. We do have access to a pickup as well and would consider that then, if we ever need to tow one.

HealthRebel

First Name
Jerry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLRU Ocean Blue
My recommendation, unless you are fine with the 3.6 V6, is to wait. The 2019 2.0 turbo you drove is NOT the same 2.0 turbo being offered in the 2020 Rubicon's. It does NOT have the e-torque system. I have a feeling there is going to be a lot of disappointment in performance without it. That's just my opinion and I hope I am wrong. Wait until the non e-torque 2.0 turbo and diesel options hit the dealerships where you can drive all 3 options ( V6, 2.0 turbo w/o e-torque and the diesel) back to back.

I was hoping the 3.6 V6 with e-torque was offered on the 2020 Rubicon's. I would have strongly considered ordering it. But, I placed my order on 07/11/2019 with the V6 w/o the e-torque. Maybe best in the long run. A lot less complications and expense later on.

Sponsored

mikegcny

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Wrangler Willys 4xe
Occupation
Software
get a gladiator if you wish to tow.
Also remember if you wish to tow in a Gladiator, the Sport with the Max Tow package will get you the best tow rating.

I am in a similar position as you. I have a F150 to that can tow our boat. Wrangler cannot pull it, and the Gladiator that will just barely be rated to pull it, is not practical for me.

So I'm most likely going to buy a JLU and get an old $2k beater pickup to haul the boat, construction material and junk.

Hudson

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLR
Vehicle Showcase
Same boat as OP - decided to wait and test out the 2020 Turbo before committing.

And yeah - Jeeps don't tow. I saw an ad of a Gladiator towing an Airstream and laughed. I think it was a 27" AS, which has an unloaded hitch weight of almost 800lbs and weighs about 5900 lbs before you add anything. Uhh....no. I tow my 27" with a RAM 2500 which may be overkill, but ask me again when you are ascending a 12% grade and getting passed by scooters in your Gladiator.

A Bambi, maybe, or even a 23 footer, but don't get fooled by the tow rating. A Gladiator has at best a 1600lb payload. Deduct 400 lbs for your average US couple, another 200lbs if you have kids, another 800lbs of hitch weight, and you're not even loading your gear before you are at or over capacity.
Sponsored