Eco diesel Oil leak

SargeRubi

First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Wrangler Rubicon Diesel
Hi guys I have read all the threads on the oil leaks other members have experienced and here to post mine.

I have a 2021 JLUR Eco diesel

I noticed a couple drops of oil in my garage and noticed that the diff cover, pan and other hardware under the driver side was covered in oil. I noticed this at about 6K miles shortly after my oil change.

I read other members with similar issues and on the Ram forums people who attributed it to the timing chain cover.

My car has been at the dealer now for 3 weeks. They say its a leak somewhere around the seals of the oil filter adapter part # 68566093aa. They say they cleaned it up and thats where it was coming from and not the timing chain cover.

This oil filter adapter part is not being made for some odd reason and no where to be found in the country and on back order for another couple weeks.

My concerns are if this indeed is the issue, since so many have said its the timing chain. My other concern is getting to this and if they will screw something else up and how long it will take. At this point Im told there are 22 on back order and this part is not being made which is odd since this is a current vehicle.

Im currently in a rental but want my car back but want it done right. I just hope this is worth waiting for and I dont find out it wasnt the issue.

What are your thoughts? Thanks in advance.
Sponsored

GtX

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR 3.0D
Occupation
Working for the man.
Vehicle Showcase
Have you searched for the part online? Might be able to find it in someone inventory, buy it, and take it to your dealer to install.

I have no thoughts on timing cover vs. oil filter adapter given that I can't look at your Jeep from here.

GearWhore

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR Diesel, 1972 Arctic Cat Climber, 2006 Triumph Speed Triple
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Gentleman Explorer
Did you get your Jeep back?

I've had the timing chain cover oil leak. Not fun, and parts were on national backorder for many many weeks. I was out of my Jeep for more than 2 months. Check your state's lemon law and warranties act. From what I read, RI is 30 days out of service. You're nearly there. Raise the issue with your Jeep Cares case manager. If you don't have one, start there. They may be able to get the part expedited (but probably not). They may get a lot more attentive when they realize they're about to have consequences.

Sponsored

OP
OP

SargeRubi

First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Wrangler Rubicon Diesel
Did you get your Jeep back?

I've had the timing chain cover oil leak. Not fun, and parts were on national backorder for many many weeks. I was out of my Jeep for more than 2 months. Check your state's lemon law and warranties act. From what I read, RI is 30 days out of service. You're nearly there. Raise the issue with your Jeep Cares case manager. If you don't have one, start there. They may be able to get the part expedited (but probably not). They may get a lot more attentive when they realize they're about to have consequences.

My jeep has been at the dealer since May. Its now 3 months. Part ETA to dealer keeps changing. I have a case open and they have expedited it for me but the materials to make the part are not available so no part is being made. I really like the jeep and dont mind waiting but not sure for how long and at what point do I jus say forget it and order another one. Im worried about ordering another one during these time when parts availability is low and new cars are harder to come by.

What are your thoughts?

GearWhore

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Gentleman Explorer
Sucks. I was in a similar boat where there were just one or two parts needed for the timing chain cover replacement (I believe a fuel injector line was the final one) to complete my repair, but for many weeks there was no ETA and just nothing. I too was given the line that mine would be the first one shipped out when it was available, for weeks.

When I got the Jeep back the tech had made a mess of things. Wire looms were left unsecured, the plastic engine cover wasn't screwed back on, new paint chips, and then it overheated several times because they didn't get the coolant right.

I started down the lemon law route, but ended up settling with FCA and keeping the Jeep. I'm still not sure it was the right call, but with the ordering mess and the months of waiting without any vehicle last year makes me think we did the right thing, for us, for now.

We've had some good trips in it this year since getting it back (and cancelling two because it was in the shop for so long), but I still am not fully trusting of it and waiting for the next major failure.

If you haven't already, do a chronological documentation of the leak: date you first noticed, date you first spoke to dealer/Jeep, dates it was in the shop, dates you spoke to Jeep Cares and dealer and summary of those conversations. Email the pdf to your case manager along with the RI warranty code reference (lemon law), and let them know how by many days they have already exceeded the state law or the date they will do so. It sounds like you are beyond the required days out of service, so you have more options than previously.

Overland Productions

First Name
Justin
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.offroadsupplyco.com
Vehicle(s)
21 JLURD
Vehicle Showcase
Sucks. I was in a similar boat where there were just one or two parts needed for the timing chain cover replacement (I believe a fuel injector line was the final one) to complete my repair, but for many weeks there was no ETA and just nothing. I too was given the line that mine would be the first one shipped out when it was available, for weeks.

When I got the Jeep back the tech had made a mess of things. Wire looms were left unsecured, the plastic engine cover wasn't screwed back on, new paint chips, and then it overheated several times because they didn't get the coolant right.

I started down the lemon law route, but ended up settling with FCA and keeping the Jeep. I'm still not sure it was the right call, but with the ordering mess and the months of waiting without any vehicle last year makes me think we did the right thing, for us, for now.

We've had some good trips in it this year since getting it back (and cancelling two because it was in the shop for so long), but I still am not fully trusting of it and waiting for the next major failure.

If you haven't already, do a chronological documentation of the leak: date you first noticed, date you first spoke to dealer/Jeep, dates it was in the shop, dates you spoke to Jeep Cares and dealer and summary of those conversations. Email the pdf to your case manager along with the RI warranty code reference (lemon law), and let them know how by many days they have already exceeded the state law or the date they will do so. It sounds like you are beyond the required days out of service, so you have more options than previously.
Can you check your service paperwork and see if this part number is on it? 68524869AA tube kit

GearWhore

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Gentleman Explorer