Eco Diesel and Tunes

Eeshasdon

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Diesel Rubicon
I love GDE. Had their tune on my Gen 2. I talked to them in Feb and they said they were trying to have their EPA compliant tune done within 12 months. Sure was nice to see the regen message so you could actually know when the regen was completed. Would have been even better if FCA could have done like all the VW TDIs and complete the regen even if the vehicle was not running.

I will definitely ge the GDE when it is available.
Sponsored

NW_Jeep

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR
If borders were open I’d run up. Just 5 hours away but like I mentioned Casey 250 you tuber got his. I’m sure I’m closer but until borders open no bueno

Casey250

First Name
Casey
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
2008 JKUR | 2020 JLUR-D | 2022 Demonator
Occupation
Video Creator
I spoke with Dirty Diesel Customs, they are up in Kelowna. If I wasn't on an island i'd consider taking a rip up. We also have a tuning shop in Victoria who just hired in a tuner who was doing diesel tunes in Alberta. We are taking a look at what we can do as well, as local is much easier to deal with.

bryan8379

First Name
Bryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR EcoDiesel
I spoke with Dirty Diesel Customs, they are up in Kelowna. If I wasn't on an island i'd consider taking a rip up. We also have a tuning shop in Victoria who just hired in a tuner who was doing diesel tunes in Alberta. We are taking a look at what we can do as well, as local is much easier to deal with.
Great to hear, I want to get a tune ASAP. I know not everybody does because of warranty issues but I think turning off the EGR sooner rather than later will greatly extend the life of this engine. Any info you could get out there would be great. I think you are the only content creator right now focused on the Wrangler Ecodiesel.

Sponsored

WXman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler Unlimited
Occupation
Meteorology and Transportation
Great to hear, I want to get a tune ASAP. I know not everybody does because of warranty issues but I think turning off the EGR sooner rather than later will greatly extend the life of this engine. Any info you could get out there would be great. I think you are the only content creator right now focused on the Wrangler Ecodiesel.
Also, the sooner you get a tune the better because eventually the EPA will figure the international orders out and shut that down too.

I wonder if going forward it'll be like the "old days" where we can buy an ECU, have it tuned, and keep the stock ECU also?

Wicked3.0

First Name
Zach
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 392 Rubicon
What about if you install a blanking plate where the origin of the EGR pipe stems from the DPF?

If I understand correctly, this will throw a check engine light? And will it hurt the performance since the EGR valve and cooler will detect no pressure and make the engine computer think there is a clog in the EGR pipe?

I’m just trying to think of ways I can prolong the life of this engine and not put exhaust with soot in the intake until someone comes out with a proper tune.

Thanks for any information.

-Z

JLURD

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Compass Latitude 6MT, 2020 JLUR 3.0
Also, the sooner you get a tune the better because eventually the EPA will figure the international orders out and shut that down too.

I wonder if going forward it'll be like the "old days" where we can buy an ECU, have it tuned, and keep the stock ECU also?
It won’t be the EPA shutting down Canadian tunes it’ll be Canada. Even if the EPA wanted to ban tunes from crossing the border they have no means of doing so. But if Canada can ban guns with no parliamentary vote you can bet your last dollar they can get rid of ECU tunes just as fast.

bryan8379

First Name
Bryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR EcoDiesel
What about if you install a blanking plate where the origin of the EGR pipe stems from the DPF?

If I understand correctly, this will throw a check engine light? And will it hurt the performance since the EGR valve and cooler will detect no pressure and make the engine computer think there is a clog in the EGR pipe?

I’m just trying to think of ways I can prolong the life of this engine and not put exhaust with soot in the intake until someone comes out with a proper tune.

Thanks for any information.

-Z
I think you could just disconnect the electrical connector while the Jeep is off and they will stay closed. I've thought about doing that myself but I've only spotted one EGR valve so far. I guess I need to do a little more exploring under the hood :fingerscrossed:

Remmy

First Name
Corey
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JL Rubicon, 2017 F250 6.7, 2018 Expedition
For me, 260 HP and 442 lb-ft of torque is plenty. The requisite 8-speed auto trans also makes a world of difference in terms of performance - for both miles per gallon and smiles per gallon. I just don't see the benefit of spending thousands of dollars for 5-10% gain in performance (at best) and 5-100% increases in pollution.
While you have some good points try 25-50% gains in engine performance. Custom tuning a diesel is like slapping a supercharger on a gasser. Substantial gains are made performance wise.

There are other benefits as well. The modern emissions systems create excessive heat and egts. In addition, they are prone to issues especially as the systems get some miles on them which can result in very expensive repair costs.

I have owned various diesel trucks for nearly 20 years and currently own a (5 position-up to) 675 HP 6.7 Powerstroke. When doing my research I used a tuner that was known for making "clean" tunes. If a diesel is pouring black smoke it is an inefficient poorly written tune...IMO.

Sponsored

Wicked3.0

First Name
Zach
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 392 Rubicon
While you have some good points try 25-50% gains in engine performance. Custom tuning a diesel is like slapping a supercharger on a gasser. Substantial gains are made performance wise.

There are other benefits as well. The modern emissions systems create excessive heat and egts. In addition, they are prone to issues especially as the systems get some miles on them which can result in very expensive repair costs.

I have owned various diesel trucks for nearly 20 years and currently own a (5 position-up to) 675 HP 6.7 Powerstroke. When doing my research I used a tuner that was known for making "clean" tunes. If a diesel is pouring black smoke it is an inefficient poorly written tune...IMO.
I agree with Remmy in bold above ^^^^

Last week, I got a CEL. Within one (1) day, the message then turned into "Vehicle Will not restart in 195 miles" because of an issue with the DEF system.

https://www.jlwranglerforums.com/forum/threads/tracking-jeep-jlur-diesel-issues.49566/page-2

This scares me.

My Ecodiesel only has 5,000 miles on it and has already been to the dealership twice. Total days out of commision so far is 8 days as of today. 2 weekends I had plans and wasn't able to go wheeling.

I don't even want to think about in many thousands of more miles what the issues and bills will be.

And that alone is a reason alone to get a tune, so that anything related to emissions crap can be erased to prevent me from my vehicle NOT starting in the middle of nowhere if I'm on a long hunting, fishing or camping trip, which is why I bought the Jeep in the first place.. to go anywhere, anytime.. but wait a sensor or system sends a code and now I'm parked? :facepalm:

Jeep 5.9.20.jpg

kogar

First Name
JD
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR EcoDiesel
Sure, EPA is federal, but who do they pretty much bend over and hand a jar of vaseline to? CARB. Aka California.
Bingo. Fortunately, there's some attempts to change that, but....I'm not holding my breath. Coal-burners need to be dealt with swiftly, but there's no need to punish the rest of us.

Buttercup 3.0

First Name
Shawn
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 JKUR 2012 JK
I'm working with a couple tuners in Canada looking like late summer or 4th quarter i dont need a ton of power but with 20 years in the diesel industry i want all the emissions off of our jeep it will spend most of its life off road im in a non emissions county at the moment and if tuned properly it wont smoke.

JLURD

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Compass Latitude 6MT, 2020 JLUR 3.0
I'm working with a couple tuners in Canada looking like late summer or 4th quarter i dont need a ton of power but with 20 years in the diesel industry i want all the emissions off of our jeep it will spend most of its life off road im in a non emissions county at the moment and if tuned properly it wont smoke.
If you hear anything more re commercial availability, please do let us know.

Ezun

First Name
Chad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 392
Vehicle Showcase
Bump... anyone hearing or finding anything? If I go for a JLURD I’m going to want to bypass the EGR as soon as humanly possible.
Sponsored