Sponsored

Ebay Rubi Steel Bumper (not a knock-off) pretty legit!

ModMike

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep JL Willy’s
Hi everyone! This is my 1st post and I actually installed this bumper less than 2 weeks ago. I wanted a stubby steel bumper for my 2018 Granite Rubi that I just bought in early Nov. 2020.

The bumper comes with no instructions, a few hardware bags, and everything else pictured above. The tow hooks didn’t fit my frame, but I was able to use the ones from my plastic bumper. The finish probably isn’t as good as Mopar, but I was able to touch up with VHT Wrinkle Plus and a heat gun to blend in where I scratched it during the install. The included fog lights electrical connection didn’t match the factory connection so I pulled out the led fog lights from my plastic bumper, secured them w/thick cable ties, and covered them in plastic wire loom for good measure. I also didn’t install the winch plate since there were no instructions. But plan on later. Although I’m sure someone on the forum likely will add a link to this post later. I also reused the plastic cover that covers the frame between the jumper and front end. I did order the Mopar steel skid plate and it also fit. I did have to use some of the hardware from the aftermarket bumper as the holes on the bumper aren’t threaded to use the Mopar skid plate bolts. I also ordered 1 1/8” plastic plugs from Amazon to fill the sensor holes.

The customer service from the eBay company was actually very good. The responded to every email question I had that night. They are in China, but have several distributors in the US where the bumpers ship from. UPS actually lost the 1st shipment and they sent a second after the original due date past with no questions.

All in all I was able to save a few hundred $ over the Mopar stubby bumper and I’m happy with how it turned out. Here a few pics...

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg
Did you paint the Amazon plugs or did they already have that finish?
Sponsored

Bun707

First Name
Brandon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler JL Sport S
I saw a few posts talking about weight, including "feels like 85lbs" or "it's the same as the OEM bumper". I messaged the eBay vendor and they said "1824 ounces". Why they answered in ounces was weird enough, but that's 114 lbs! This matches a reviewer on Amazon stating the shipping weight is 114lbs. Perhaps there's 20-30 lbs of packing materials? Has anyone really weighed it themselves? Unfortunately, if really over 100 lbs, I might just keep looking.

ModMike

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep JL Willy’s
Hi everyone! This is my 1st post and I actually installed this bumper less than 2 weeks ago. I wanted a stubby steel bumper for my 2018 Granite Rubi that I just bought in early Nov. 2020.

The bumper comes with no instructions, a few hardware bags, and everything else pictured above. The tow hooks didn’t fit my frame, but I was able to use the ones from my plastic bumper. The finish probably isn’t as good as Mopar, but I was able to touch up with VHT Wrinkle Plus and a heat gun to blend in where I scratched it during the install. The included fog lights electrical connection didn’t match the factory connection so I pulled out the led fog lights from my plastic bumper, secured them w/thick cable ties, and covered them in plastic wire loom for good measure. I also didn’t install the winch plate since there were no instructions. But plan on later. Although I’m sure someone on the forum likely will add a link to this post later. I also reused the plastic cover that covers the frame between the jumper and front end. I did order the Mopar steel skid plate and it also fit. I did have to use some of the hardware from the aftermarket bumper as the holes on the bumper aren’t threaded to use the Mopar skid plate bolts. I also ordered 1 1/8” plastic plugs from Amazon to fill the sensor holes.

The customer service from the eBay company was actually very good. The responded to every email question I had that night. They are in China, but have several distributors in the US where the bumpers ship from. UPS actually lost the 1st shipment and they sent a second after the original due date past with no questions.

All in all I was able to save a few hundred $ over the Mopar stubby bumper and I’m happy with how it turned out. Here a few pics...

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg
Did you paint the Amazon plugs or did they already have that finish?

Crusifix

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLU Rubicon 2.0T Hurricane
I saw a few posts talking about weight, including "feels like 85lbs" or "it's the same as the OEM bumper". I messaged the eBay vendor and they said "1824 ounces". Why they answered in ounces was weird enough, but that's 114 lbs! This matches a reviewer on Amazon stating the shipping weight is 114lbs. Perhaps there's 20-30 lbs of packing materials? Has anyone really weighed it themselves? Unfortunately, if really over 100 lbs, I might just keep looking.

Packing materials. Hardware, bull bar, as well as winch plate. It weighs almost exactly what the Mopar version weighs, if not 100% exact.

Sponsored

demisx

First Name
Dee
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Wrangler JLU Rubicon
Clubs

Well that is pretty much all it consists of, but you have to torque all the bolts back to spec.
When I tried to torque the supplied tow hook nuts to the factory value, the thread got stripped and I had to look for a new bolt/nut. I am suspecting the fasteners quality is left to be desired.

demisx

First Name
Dee
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Wrangler JLU Rubicon
Clubs

Since this e-bay bumper doesn't come with instructions be aware the eight mounting bolts need to be torqued to 64 lb/ft or 90 N/M. This is important to get right.
I wish I saw this sooner. My factory tow hook bolt snapped at ~70 lb/ft. Can you please share where you get these torque specs? I’ve used this post before https://www.jlwranglerforums.com/forum/threads/torque-values-for-jeep-jl-wrangler.17791/post-518034, but it’s not clear what is what and the “front bumper to nuts” is speced at 90 lb/ft which I tried to follow and broke the bolt. Thank you. 🙏🏻

demisx

First Name
Dee
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Wrangler JLU Rubicon
Clubs

I set mine to 69 lb/ft on the mounting bolts.
My OEM red tow hook bolt got snapped at 70 lbs/ft. Maybe I got a faulty bolt from the factory. Set me back $50 with a new replacement hook from BAM Warehouse. ☹

I've used my new torque wrench only a few times and never dropped it. Would be surprised if it needs calibration already.

Sponsored

JLMOPARMAN

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 JKU Rubicon
So I just picked up an eBay knock-off listed as “ 10th Anniversary Front bumper For 2007-2018 Jeep Jk Wrangler Rubicon-0873”. No sensor holes. License plate holes in a slightly different spot and appears to be pretty well put together. Even the holes around the tow hooks look better than the video review posted earlier. This one says “RUBICON” on the winch cover.

1DE834FB-D301-4C49-AE8F-AD31B4DA58D8.jpeg

676A0EF3-1AFA-47D1-90DC-F04232FC4830.jpeg

40EE96E7-8B96-428A-9132-C6771D3D303C.jpeg

C824CC73-3F0C-47FF-9793-66FD3DFEE570.jpeg

WilhelmSR

First Name
Wilhelm
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 HellaYella JLUR
So I just picked up an eBay knock-off listed as “ 10th Anniversary Front bumper For 2007-2018 Jeep Jk Wrangler Rubicon-0873”. No sensor holes. License plate holes in a slightly different spot and appears to be pretty well put together. Even the holes around the tow hooks look better than the video review posted earlier. This one says “RUBICON” on the winch cover.

Jeep Wrangler JL Ebay Rubi Steel Bumper (not a knock-off) pretty legit! C824CC73-3F0C-47FF-9793-66FD3DFEE570
I love this one, shame it doesn't fit the JL

ModMike

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep JL Willy’s
I love this one, shame it doesn't fit the JL
The tow hook holes on the one I got from e-go bike were perfect. I suspect the video guy got a bad one.

I also saw somewhere that the rubicon bumpers fit the JK and JL but do your research before you buy the one above for a JL.

Last edited:

ModMike

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep JL Willy’s

Jeep Wrangler JL Ebay Rubi Steel Bumper (not a knock-off) pretty legit! C824CC73-3F0C-47FF-9793-66FD3DFEE570

that winch plate looks like a clone of the Harbor Freight one. I much prefer the one I got in my kit. It attaches directly to the frame rails and sits mostly in the bumper.

I could be wrong but I think the one you have does not. It also means the winch sits on top of the bumper.

Of course this is not an issue if you don’t get a winch.
Sponsored