Sponsored

Ebay Rubi Steel Bumper (not a knock-off) pretty legit!

davidafuller

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Wrangler JLUS (Granite Crystal)
Occupation
CPA
I am pleasantly surprised at how much I enjoyed the discussion and thank you for reminding me that how I interpret things I wish to convey may not come across that way when read by others. Shame you arent closer, we could go wheeling
likewise sir.
Sponsored

ebelp

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU Rubicon (bright white)
Vehicle Showcase
I think it's a stretch to think FCA knows or cares about these knockoff bumpers being sold on ebay. I think it's something that is way off their radar. The only legal concern I can think of is that these bumpers are definitely not DOT approved. But that's basically a "use at your own risk" situation. Would FCA approve? Definitely not. But does FCA give a crap? Probably also no. They make their profits off vehicle sales...not Mopar parts sales. That's my 2 cents.

davidafuller

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
CPA
I think it's a stretch to think FCA knows or cares about these knockoff bumpers being sold on ebay. I think it's something that is way off their radar. The only legal concern I can think of is that these bumpers are definitely not DOT approved. But that's basically a "use at your own risk" situation. Would FCA approve? Definitely not. But does FCA give a crap? Probably also no. They make their profits off vehicle sales...not Mopar parts sales. That's my 2 cents.
don’t basically all manufacturers of bumpers and lights state that their products are for off road use only? Like I’m pretty sure ORACLE says that about their lights. Wouldn’t shock me if most bumper manufacturers say the same. It’s just a liability play I imagine.

ebelp

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
don’t basically all manufacturers of bumpers and lights state that their products are for off road use only? Like I’m pretty sure ORACLE says that about their lights. Wouldn’t shock me if most bumper manufacturers say the same. It’s just a liability play I imagine.
Well if we're talking about the Mopar steel bumper, then it absolutely should be for ON road usage (DOT approved) since it's an optional part from the factory.

gr8ridn01

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Wrangler Sahara Unlimited
I ended up buying the Mopar Bumper from my Jeep dealer. He was willing to beat the shipped prices from the internet Mopar dealers. As it turned out he had the bumper in stock and I picked it up the following day. No worries about shipping damage and the possibility it would need to be returned across country. For me this was a fair deal on a street legal genuine steel bumper that carries a one year warranty if I have issues.

The box it was delivered in clearly showed the correct part number and a statement : Made in the USA.: Interestingly the Mopar Long Lower Control Arms I bought from an internet dealer did have labels with Made In China. They seem to be of good quality. This tells me some parts are manufactured in China under license and others are manufactured domestically. The part labels will show this information on Mopar parts.

I am pleased with the bumper purchase with the perfect fit and finish I expected from Mopar. Next project will be a winch and mount plate for this bumper. More research needed.

I do appreciate the information I gleaned from this thread and the civility of a lively discussion as to the pros and cons.

Sponsored

richardya

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Edge 2011
Vehicle Showcase
Wake up this is China. This is their MO.

In order to run an auto factory in China an American company is forced to form a partnership/joint venture with a Chinese company. The Chinese company steals all the know-how and secrets. Eventually China will form a competitor and will kick out the American company and sell the Chinese product world-wide. They often start doing things like this knockoff bumper. This will morph into trying to replace suppliers (Like Mopar) by undercutting suppliers. Besttop will be next. The bumper is the exact same bumper made in a 100% China owned company. And they are more than happy to make no profit as they build a brand. Government will often even subsidize. They will print made-in-the-usa unless there is a law against it. The culture is ok with stealing and cheating as long as it supports the greater party.

This is part of their 100 year plan.

Enjoy saving $100.

https://www.fcagroup.com/en-US/media_center/insights/Pages/jeep_plant_guangzhou_china.aspx

davidafuller

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
CPA
Well if we're talking about the Mopar steel bumper, then it absolutely should be for ON road usage (DOT approved) since it's an optional part from the factory.
Agreed. I just mean if you buy any aftermarket bumper I'm pretty sure they all say off-road only. I guess I just view this knock-off as any other aftermarket.

ebelp

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Eventually China will form a competitor and will kick out the American company and sell the Chinese product world-wide.
You sound angry! I don't see these knockoff bumpers "kicking out" FCA. If you want to start a discussion on global economics and copyright infringement, you should definitely start a thread in the general discussion forum. :like:

PyrPatriot

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Gladiator
You sound angry! I don't see these knockoff bumpers "kicking out" FCA. If you want to start a discussion on global economics and copyright infringement, you should definitely start a thread in the general discussion forum. :like:
It is patent infringement but yes, another subforum would be appropriate. I had the discussion on the topic here because it pertained specifically to buying this bumper

AZ Hella

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR
Vehicle Showcase
I am pleasantly surprised at how much I enjoyed the discussion and thank you for reminding me that how I interpret things I wish to convey may not come across that way when read by others. Shame you arent closer, we could go wheeling
I’m just glad you guys are done.

Sponsored

davidafuller

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
CPA
Supposed to come in Thursday. Just thinking about installation. UPS tracking says package weighs 114 lbs (!). Anyone here install already? What's the ideal way to prop this damn heavy thing up to install?

gr8ridn01

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
The actual bumper weighs closer to 85 lbs. That additional weight is the winch plate and the extras included like the protection bar. I was able to lift the bumper in place but chose to get a friend to help control it while aligning the bolts to the frame. Your choice depending on how strong you feel. Other methods to lighten the weight would be to remove the outer sections during installation and replacing them after the stubby bumper is secured. It's doable if you are comfortable with DIY.

Since this e-bay bumper doesn't come with instructions be aware the eight mounting bolts need to be torqued to 64 lb/ft or 90 N/M. This is important to get right.

davidafuller

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
CPA
Since this e-bay bumper doesn't come with instructions be aware the eight mounting bolts need to be torqued to 64 lb/ft or 90 N/M. This is important to get right.
Crap. That means next to nothing to me.

gr8ridn01

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)

ebelp

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Crap. That means next to nothing to me.
Uh oh haha....definitely get someone to help out. Hell I'd even trust the dealer to do that install. It's pretty easy.
Sponsored