Sponsored

Ebay Rubi Steel Bumper (not a knock-off) pretty legit!

entropy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler Sport S JL 2-D
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Professional dancer/male stripper
Did anyone have install instructions? I’m finally getting around to removing my stock plastic off the JLUS, and swore I saw an install thread link somewhere. Went through every post and can’t find it now.
Take the stock bumper off.
Install new bumper.

jking lol. just look up videos on how to remove oem bumper and install aftermarket, should give you an idea.
Sponsored

davidafuller

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Wrangler JLUS (Granite Crystal)
Occupation
CPA
Take the stock bumper off.
Install new bumper.

jking lol. just look up videos on how to remove oem bumper and install aftermarket, should give you an idea.
Wise guy I see!

Yeah, I wound up finding a couple of videos that helped and got that baby installed last night. Just need my BIL to help tighten with a torque wrench to seal the deal.

Couple of questions for everyone:

1. I may have missed this, and if it was included I'm sure I have it, but is there some type of backing that is supposed to cover the backside of the bumper (keep the wiring harness locked away, help with the aesthetics so the inners aren't exposed, etc.)? Can you install this once the bumper is on or would I need to take it off to get that done correctly?

2. Is there anything else you need to install? When the plastic bumper is on, you have to remove the plastic air dam and the metal piece behind it.. not sure what that's called. I know you can use a skid plate, but is that even necessary if you're not off-roading?

Like most of you, I wound up with a TON of leftover pieces. I don't intend to install a winch, did not install (nor don't think I will) the lower tow hooks, etc. I simply removed the tow hooks, had them powder coated, reinstalled, and swapped out the fog lights. Also removed the wiring harness from the plastic Sahara bumper for re-use in the steel bumper. Anything obvious I'm missing here that NEEDS to be installed?

davidafuller

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
CPA
Head-on pic taken today in the daylight; angled view taken last night as the sun was going down. Burnt orange tow hooks are an homage to the paint color I've always wanted on the Wrangler ("mango tango") but since they stopped making it with the JL version, I had to adapt.

1.jpg

2.jpg

Breault720

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLU Freedom Edition
Head-on pic taken today in the daylight; angled view taken last night as the sun was going down. Burnt orange tow hooks are an homage to the paint color I've always wanted on the Wrangler ("mango tango") but since they stopped making it with the JL version, I had to adapt.

Jeep Wrangler JL Ebay Rubi Steel Bumper (not a knock-off) pretty legit! 2

Jeep Wrangler JL Ebay Rubi Steel Bumper (not a knock-off) pretty legit! 2
I noticed your fog light bezels don’t have the sensor holes in them, did you replace the ones provided with this bumper with ones without holes?

Sponsored

davidafuller

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
CPA
I noticed your fog light bezels don’t have the sensor holes in them, did you replace the ones provided with this bumper with ones without holes?
yessir. got Mopar replacements off BAM.

treoguy

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler JL Sahara
Just to clarify, this bumper doesn't come with crash cans, correct? Is that something which can be purchased aftermarket? My bumper arrived, but concerned about safety and likely going to pass. Have it listed here if anyone in NY is interested. Box is beat up, as many here have experienced. The thing is heavy.

Crusifix

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLU Rubicon 2.0T Hurricane
I was able to get mine installed last night. I ordered replacement front caps, but only one arrived so far. I did the install by myself. It wasn't too bad. An extra set of hands would have been nice, but not necessary.

The Pros..
  • It shipped from Chicago and arrived in 3 days.
  • It looks terrific and fits perfectly.
  • Winch plate is different than the Mopar unit, but very heavy duty.
  • No need to install the OE fog lights. The ones it comes with are brighter than the OE LED ones...Assuming they are LED, as I have the LED package.

My issues - You get what you pay for.
  • My tow hooks were beat to hell. Will the tow hooks off of my Rubicon plastic bumper work? If not, I will just clean these up and paint them. I honestly didn't notice it until it was installed as they have foam wrapping on them. Not a big deal, as they will get beat up anyway.
  • The paint is really thin.
  • I was going to convert to a stubby, but there is a groove left in the paint where the end caps overlapped with the center section.
  • Does the Mopar bumper use hardware for the end caps that has nutserts or something similar built in? Trying to get my guerrilla hands behind everything to hold the nuts was a pita!

Jeep Wrangler JL Ebay Rubi Steel Bumper (not a knock-off) pretty legit! 20200902_194453

5thofJuly

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Sahara
I was able to get mine installed last night. I ordered replacement front caps, but only one arrived so far. I did the install by myself. It wasn't too bad. An extra set of hands would have been nice, but not necessary.

The Pros..
  • It shipped from Chicago and arrived in 3 days.
  • It looks terrific and fits perfectly.
  • Winch plate is different than the Mopar unit, but very heavy duty.
  • No need to install the OE fog lights. The ones it comes with are brighter than the OE LED ones...Assuming they are LED, as I have the LED package.

My issues - You get what you pay for.
  • My tow hooks were beat to hell. Will the tow hooks off of my Rubicon plastic bumper work? If not, I will just clean these up and paint them. I honestly didn't notice it until it was installed as they have foam wrapping on them. Not a big deal, as they will get beat up anyway.
  • The paint is really thin.
  • I was going to convert to a stubby, but there is a groove left in the paint where the end caps overlapped with the center section.
  • Does the Mopar bumper use hardware for the end caps that has nutserts or something similar built in? Trying to get my guerrilla hands behind everything to hold the nuts was a pita!

Jeep Wrangler JL Ebay Rubi Steel Bumper (not a knock-off) pretty legit! 20200902_194453
Looks really good! Quick question, what plugs did you use for the parking sensor holes in the end caps? I purchased the ones referenced in an earlier post in this thread, but they didn't really work. Did you find something that works well?

Crusifix

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)

Sponsored

buenhombre

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JKU
Question - do you need to buy a separate winch plate to install a winch? From other forums, I swear I’ve heard a plate is needed for the stock hard rock bumpers... does the stock hard rock bumper not come with a plate? Thanks!

Crusifix

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Question - do you need to buy a separate winch plate to install a winch? From other forums, I swear I’ve heard a plate is needed for the stock hard rock bumpers... does the stock hard rock bumper not come with a plate? Thanks!
This one comes with the plate.

treoguy

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler JL Sahara
Has anyone returned this bumper and shipped it back? Curious as to the cost to ship it back to them.

huntb

First Name
Ben
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18 JLUS, 22 WL 4xe
Does anyone have pictures of this bumper with the end caps off? I know the Mopar bumper has a hole for mounting a dune flag on the front passenger side. Curious if this one does as well
Sponsored