Travis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU
Build Thread
Link
Vehicle Showcase
Backstory: 18 JLU Sport with rear D44 replaced 3 times so far. Need to re-gear and ditch the factory LSD. Over 60k miles and FCA has flagged my VIN.

I've been talking with a local off-road and fabrication shop and they are looking at the offering for the Nissan Titan #913A582. It's for a similar metric D44 with the same axle splines. Modifying will need to happen, but it could be as simple as trimming/shimming. Cost with fabrication looks to be around the same as installing and ARB and mini compressor, but I'd prefer to stay away from air personally.
Anyone play around with ideas like this? Would it be better to swap to Rubicon take off axles?
Sponsored

DanW

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JLUR, 18JLUR, 08JKUR, 15 Renegade, 04 WJ
Vehicle Showcase
Backstory: 18 JLU Sport with rear D44 replaced 3 times so far. Need to re-gear and ditch the factory LSD. Over 60k miles and FCA has flagged my VIN.

I've been talking with a local off-road and fabrication shop and they are looking at the offering for the Nissan Titan #913A582. It's for a similar metric D44 with the same axle splines. Modifying will need to happen, but it could be as simple as trimming/shimming. Cost with fabrication looks to be around the same as installing and ARB and mini compressor, but I'd prefer to stay away from air personally.
Anyone play around with ideas like this? Would it be better to swap to Rubicon take off axles?
What does it mean that they flagged the VIN? Why was the rear D44 replaced? How did they fail?

OP
OP
trav87

trav87

First Name
Travis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU
Build Thread
Link
Vehicle Showcase
What does it mean that they flagged the VIN? Why was the rear D44 replaced? How did they fail?
If I show up with anything other than stock sized wheels and tires, the warranty on my current axle will be denied.
As far as what's wing with them, they burn up the clutches extremely quickly and that results in contamination in oil, excessive wearing on bearings, seals, and gears, and a low speed knocking sound.
https://www.jlwranglerforums.com/forum/threads/knock-in-rear-with-dana-44.16921/

DanW

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JLUR, 18JLUR, 08JKUR, 15 Renegade, 04 WJ
Vehicle Showcase
If I show up with anything other than stock sized wheels and tires, the warranty on my current axle will be denied.
As far as what's wing with them, they burn up the clutches extremely quickly and that results in contamination in oil, excessive wearing on bearings, seals, and gears, and a low speed knocking sound.
https://www.jlwranglerforums.com/forum/threads/knock-in-rear-with-dana-44.16921/
That's a bummer. I can't help but think bigger tires would actually put less wear on the limited slip, but I'm no physicist.
Sponsored