Sponsored

Easy Way to Hardwire 12V Accessories without Aux Switches

First Name
Sloan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR, 2001 TJ Sport
I just came across this wiring harness on Quadratec that connects into the back of the 12V socket in the dash and gives you leads to connect a small accessory like a CB radio. My JL didnt come with the 4 factory aux switches, and when I opened up the dash I realized the only way to tap into 12V power without going through the firewall was the socket. My brother told me Quadratec makes a harness like this for the TJ, and sure enough they have one for JL and JT now.

You will have to pop off the middle part of the dash (where the knobs are), and then the lower part (where the window switches are) pops off easy after you take out one screw. I had to do this anyway to install my Mic mount.

I didnt know this was available, so I thought I would share. I ordered one and it should be delivered Tuesday. So my JL is sitting in the driveway with the dash blown apart for a few days....not that I should be driving anywhere now anyways.

https://www.quadratec.com/p/quadrat...XF2iya7539RIqGiyrDMsHyG_AzMdHyfxoCa5IQAvD_BwE

Quadratec-JL-APT-12-Volt-Power-Adapter-Jeep-Wrangler-JL_0.jpg
Sponsored

OP
OP
Jeepin' w/ Dogs
First Name
Sloan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR, 2001 TJ Sport
So if I wired lights to it, how would I go about turning them on and off?
You would have to wire in a switch. These are pretty small wires, so I wouldn't want to run big off road lights through this. This is more for stuff like CB/VHF/Ham radios or dash cams that have their own power switch built in.

davejkenny

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU
Vehicle Showcase
Nice to know. I pulled the same panel out and fed the CB wires into the back of the cigarette lighter. Works fine but would only suit 1 accessory I suppose.

OP
OP
Jeepin' w/ Dogs
First Name
Sloan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR, 2001 TJ Sport
Nice to know. I pulled the same panel out and fed the CB wires into the back of the cigarette lighter. Works fine but would only suit 1 accessory I suppose.
Nice. I tried that and couldn’t get a good connection.

Sponsored

The Fixer

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mojito! JLS, 2018 Firecracker JLUSS
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Teacher
That harness made by @Quadratec is awesome - I installed one in each of our JL's to hook up a dual-USB power source on the back of the console for my kids to recharge their devices on long road trips.

VA72mlibu

First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mojito! JLR; 1972 Chevy Malibu; DHC-7 & BeechCraft King-Air (operated, not owned)
This is ignition power, not constant, correct?

The Fixer

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mojito! JLS, 2018 Firecracker JLUSS
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Teacher
This is ignition power, not constant, correct?
Correct, because the 12v port in the dash is switched power, so the accessories will turn off when the vehicle is turned off. FWIW, if you need that 12v accessory to be on all the time, there is a fuse you can move to make it so; it's listed in the owners manual.

ToPar9

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 JLU Altitude
Nice find .. I want to move the USB from the Media port, up to the tray on the top of the dash, then install the RAM phone mount in the same location. Use a 1 foot USB to lightning, and that should give me Apple CarPlay without the charger draped throughout the Jeep.
This would also allow for my passenger to use the 'Media' USB as a charger. Run power from the harness to the USB in the media port.
I would probably need to modify that USB, but it would clean up chargers throughout the cab.

OP
OP
Jeepin' w/ Dogs
First Name
Sloan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR, 2001 TJ Sport
Nice find .. I want to move the USB from the Media port, up to the tray on the top of the dash, then install the RAM phone mount in the same location. Use a 1 foot USB to lightning, and that should give me Apple CarPlay without the charger draped throughout the Jeep.
This would also allow for my passenger to use the 'Media' USB as a charger. Run power from the harness to the USB in the media port.
I would probably need to modify that USB, but it would clean up chargers throughout the cab.
Yeah being able to run short power cords from the tray on top of the dash would be nice. I’m thinking I’ll use the 2nd set of leads for that or a small Rugged/VHF radio in addition to the CB

Sponsored

four low

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL
Just keep in mind the total amperage draw through those power wires, for all the devices you want to run. Relays would handle lights, match wire gauge to amperage draw

PSI

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
XXXXXX 2020 JL Rubicon 3.6
Does anyone know if this will work on the cig plug in the rear cargo area?

jludave

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Wrangler Unlimited Sport Altitude
Occupation
IT Manager
Vehicle Showcase
Clubs

Does anyone know if this will work on the cig plug in the rear cargo area?
It works. Same connectors.

Reactions: PSI

Goluchowski

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Tesla Model 3
Yeah being able to run short power cords from the tray on top of the dash would be nice. I’m thinking I’ll use the 2nd set of leads for that or a small Rugged/VHF radio in addition to the CB
Hey there,

Are you thinking of drilling a hole in that tray on the dash? I want to do that as well but haven't pulled things apart yet. I ordered the cable from quadratec since it's on sale now.

I actually want to have the power for a radar detector coming out of that tray so I can use a permanent mount in that tray for the radar detector.
Sponsored