Easy trails in San Diego/Orange County area

First Name
Jamie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU Sport
Clubs

Good morning everyone. I just traded my Subaru for a 2020 JLU Sport and I'm excited to take it out this weekend. Does anyone have any recommendations for beginner roads or trails? Or any other advise in general?
Thanks!
Sponsored

jludave

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Wrangler Unlimited Sport Altitude
Occupation
IT Manager
Vehicle Showcase
Clubs

kah.mun.rah

First Name
Merenkahre Jr.
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon
If you are in Santa Barbara there are probably some fire roads nearby. Other than that I would suggest Hungry Valley State Vehicular Recreation Area in Gorman or Rowher Flat OHV in Santa Clarita. For Orange County you can check out Santiago Peak and for San Diego the video above is a great resource. Anza-Borrego State Park is another popular one.

gd3mats

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2o21 willys sport unlimited
Lots of easily accessible trails within reach here in greater l.a. area.

Hungry valley ohv (gorman) run by the state. $5 per day to play. Lots of trails/fire roads and fun learning area. Definitely can play the whole day here.

Plenty of fire roads scattered throughout santa clarita as well. Drinkwater, Rohwer and Del Sur ridge are pretty fun for a quick trip.

Don't dismiss the San Bernardino Mountains with trails surrounding Lake Arrowhead, Green Valley Lake and Big Bear Area.

So many places to have a good time.
Be safe, enjoy the jeep and welcome to the jeep community.

Just an FYI.
May need to display an adventure pass ($30 year/$5 a day) on trails within Angeles National Forest, Cleveland National Forest, Los Padres National Forest and San Bernardino National Forest. I've never been asked for one, but it was lightly mentioned by a forestry worker once.

Mx5red

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JTR, 2020 JLUR
Build Thread
Link
I love the mountains, good suggestions above.
Anza Borrego is huge and can be neat to explore as well.
Your stock jeep can surprise you.
Look on Alltrails.com, forest service website for MVUM (official maps).
I had a lot of fun on this route:
https://www.jeepgladiatorforum.com/...o-with-your-gladiator-today.19626/post-851845
Jeep Wrangler JL Easy trails in San Diego/Orange County area 1661320891233

I drove east from Julian down the S2 (or great southern overland stage route) past agua caliente and turn north on vallecito creek rd (32.9153083, -116.2406586). That turns east until a wide wash.
Then up arroyo tapiado road (32.8951470, -116.1794128) to the huge mud caves (actually on google maps). Then back east and up north on arroyo secco del Diablo rd (32.8809063, -116.1573553) through the canyon to turnoff east (32.9391886, -116.1899163) to Diablo dropoff. Easily went down the drop in my JTR. Then drive up north east through fish creek wash to split mountain rd to ocotillo wells.
Did that all with my 8yo so I think they could handle it.

Airing down really makes for a smoother drive on bumpy roads, so decent deflators and an air pump are good investments!

Sponsored

SadRobot

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JL 2dr Sport
Good morning everyone. I just traded my Subaru for a 2020 JLU Sport and I'm excited to take it out this weekend. Does anyone have any recommendations for beginner roads or trails? Or any other advise in general?
Thanks!
Did you end up hitting any of these trails? I'm looking to do some easier trails as well if you are looking for a trail buddy.

Killerbell

First Name
Jeremi
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Wrangler
Hey, let’s make it a trio. Just got my Wrangler yesterday and really want to explore SoCal. Disclaimer though, I’m a complete newb to off roading but willing to listen and learn.

Industrialwrench

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
08 SRT Challenger. 18 4Runner off-road premium.
Orilamme canyon
Valley of the moon
Black mountain (too easy)
Pinyon mountain
Espinosa trail
Sidwinder(save this one for when you feel ready)
Indian mountain
Gold mountain
Heartbreak ridge.
All fairly chill

4x4Punk

First Name
Skully
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
97 Wrangler TJ, 22 Wrangler JL Sport
If you're in OC and just want to get it dirty, Santiago Canyon has some nice trails. Farther northeast, Big Bear has plenty of fun trails, but personally for a day ride I would check out Clark's Grade from Angelus Oaks to Big Bear - it's more scenic than challenging, except for one small rocky stretch. My personal favorite destination though is Anza Borrego State Park near the Salton Sea. Lots of fun trails to explore for all skill levels. Just don't go there in the summer unless you love to sweat.
Sponsored