Easy to moderate Washington Trails

zmanz28

First Name
Zman
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler Sahara
I'll be out there the first week of May. I'll have about 3-4 days of being able to check out some awesome views. My buddy lives on Whidbey Island. I would like to check out anywhere from the Anecortes area to Bellingham or Mt Baker area's. I'll be a single Jeep so not looking to do any rock crawling or anything like that. Just get easy to maybe moderate offroading and get to some awesome views. Could you guys recommend some Forrest Roads or trails please.
Sponsored

Hudson

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLR
Vehicle Showcase
Go on Facebook and find the Jeep JL Wrangler No-BS group, the moderator Jason lives in Tacoma area and knows local trails. Ask the group for suggestions.

Main issue in May besides rain will be snow - some of the most fun Easy trails like a stampede pass are off of I90 or in the Olympics and snow is still an issue for several trails. You’ll want to bring recovery gear if you head up anything more than a forest road, as it gets muddy.

In your area, you’ll be looking off Hwy 20 which has some nice trails but again, snow may still be an issue. The better trails are south of your pals area, or east of I5. Whidbey and Bellingham don’t have many decent trails, you’ll have to head East.

Here are some threads or links:

https://www.jlwranglerforums.com/forum/threads/resources-for-off-roading-in-the-pnw.4227/

https://ridebdr.com/wabdr/

Also, the PNW forum of Advrider.com is a great resource for local trails, as there are lots of dual sport riders who know the good trails for playing on.

Finally, consider the area north or south of Chelan, good trails.

OP
OP
zmanz28

zmanz28

First Name
Zman
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Thank you for the advice. I’ll def have recovery gear including my Warn winch. Being from Minnesota, my goal is to get off pavement and onto gravel roads and see some cool views and take some cool photos of the Jeep with the beautiful state of Washington as my background.

AgentWolf

First Name
Tyler
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon
Just went up NF75 , 7030 and a few others on Saturday.
Snow is very slippery and fairly deep once you get up there. Absolutely do not go alone, I had to pull a bunch of people out.

Right now you maybe able to just hop on Mountain Loop and hit some side trails.

OP
OP
zmanz28

zmanz28

First Name
Zman
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Just went up NF75 , 7030 and a few others on Saturday.
Snow is very slippery and fairly deep once you get up there. Absolutely do not go alone, I had to pull a bunch of people out.

Right now you maybe able to just hop on Mountain Loop and hit some side trails.

Thanks. I will heed you advice and not go alone. Sound like I will have to try it on a different trip when its summer time.

Sponsored

AgentWolf

First Name
Tyler
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon
Thanks. I will heed you advice and not go alone. Sound like I will have to try it on a different trip when its summer time.
Hit me up if you decide to go somewhere. I go out pretty often and could tag along. If we get one or two other folks with some experience then I don't mind going out on some of the deeper stuff.

jconli1

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sport
Occupation
Emergency Comms, Music
Vehicle Showcase
Yep, early May is tough because the snow level will still be a big factor for the real must-see scenic spots (Twin Lakes north of Mt. Baker is one of my favorites)... but like AgentWolf said there are still plenty of good and relatively sane/safe NF road options off of Mountain Loop Highway between Darrington and Granite Falls. Would be cool to get a small group together if possible... I come more from the dual sport motorcycle background, so doing these trails on 4 wheels is still fairly new to me.

Chuck

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Rubicon M/T 2dr, 2009 Nissan Xterra Off Road M/T with a 2" lift
Vehicle Showcase
As others said, this is a tough time because of A) snow and B) COVID closures. I can't speak on current conditions, but I've explored some neat forest roads just east of Bellingham, some of which might be mostly snow-free right now.

Sumas Mountain might be one possibility. Best access is right after the North Fork Brewery (on the left).
https://www.alltrails.com/trail/us/washington/sumas-mountain-p-1000-and-p-1200-ohv-trail

Samish Overlook has one of the best views you can drive to near Bellingham. It's a fairly easy forest road (when dry), but it has some stellar views. Currently, trails are closed due to COVID, though you still might be able to drive to this parking lot (and maybe restrictions will be lifted by the time you go there). Hopefully it isn't gated right now.
https://www.theoutbound.com/washington/chillin/catch-a-sunset-at-the-samish-overlook

If Samish Overlook is gated, you can salvage your journey by driving up nearby Chuckanut Drive (11) to Bellingham. It's paved, but it's a beautiful, shoreline drive that hugs the cliffs above Bellingham Bay.

This interactive map shows the condition of some forest roads in the region. It looks like many are still holding snow, though maybe not the entire road. One thing to note: Even when snow-free, many forest roads in Washington lack sweeping views, as they're mostly just in forests. The forest roads with the best views are on the east side of the Cascades.
https://usfs.maps.arcgis.com/apps/MapSeries/index.html?appid=2f5351d70b0d4ed9b13d372e9d109fcb

If you're able to drive a few hours, there are lots of forest roads (easy to difficult) around Cle Elum, Ellensburg, and Yakima that should be mostly dry right now. Umtanum Ridge would be right up your alley -- fairly easy, relatively safe to do alone (with emergency gear, of course), and highly scenic:

47616386012_8533394826_c.jpg

OP
OP
zmanz28

zmanz28

First Name
Zman
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
As others said, this is a tough time because of A) snow and B) COVID closures. I can't speak on current conditions, but I've explored some neat forest roads just east of Bellingham, some of which might be mostly snow-free right now.

Sumas Mountain might be one possibility. Best access is right after the North Fork Brewery (on the left).
https://www.alltrails.com/trail/us/washington/sumas-mountain-p-1000-and-p-1200-ohv-trail

Samish Overlook has one of the best views you can drive to near Bellingham. It's a fairly easy forest road (when dry), but it has some stellar views. Currently, trails are closed due to COVID, though you still might be able to drive to this parking lot (and maybe restrictions will be lifted by the time you go there). Hopefully it isn't gated right now.
https://www.theoutbound.com/washington/chillin/catch-a-sunset-at-the-samish-overlook

If Samish Overlook is gated, you can salvage your journey by driving up nearby Chuckanut Drive (11) to Bellingham. It's paved, but it's a beautiful, shoreline drive that hugs the cliffs above Bellingham Bay.

This interactive map shows the condition of some forest roads in the region. It looks like many are still holding snow, though maybe not the entire road. One thing to note: Even when snow-free, many forest roads in Washington lack sweeping views, as they're mostly just in forests. The forest roads with the best views are on the east side of the Cascades.
https://usfs.maps.arcgis.com/apps/MapSeries/index.html?appid=2f5351d70b0d4ed9b13d372e9d109fcb

If you're able to drive a few hours, there are lots of forest roads (easy to difficult) around Cle Elum, Ellensburg, and Yakima that should be mostly dry right now. Umtanum Ridge would be right up your alley -- fairly easy, relatively safe to do alone (with emergency gear, of course), and highly scenic:

47616386012_8533394826_c.jpg
In 2018 when I was out there on my motorcycle, I rode Chuckanut Drive. Very cool and beautiful road. Great advice on all of this. I appreciate it. I also rode to Artist Point. Phenomenal motorcycle ride.

OP
OP
zmanz28

zmanz28

First Name
Zman
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Hit me up if you decide to go somewhere. I go out pretty often and could tag along. If we get one or two other folks with some experience then I don't mind going out on some of the deeper stuff.

Def will let you know. Always great meeting wheelers.

IdahoJOAT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLURe Tuscadero, Black '05 Silverado
Vehicle Showcase
Whatever happened to Tahuya? Before I left in 2011 that was a great mixed bag of wheeling.

Elbe was fun too.
Sponsored