Easy Shelter for 2-Door JL

jaymz

First Name
Jay
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Rubicon Unlimited
Thank you. I did consider painting, but I thought it might eventually crack and flake off, especially because the conduit flexes a little when the wind catches the tarp. That was the main reason I chose conduit instead of white PVC pipe, as it stands out a little less.
I'd use shrink tube if you really want to change the color. Obviously won't work on the extensions, but it will cover the center section nicely.
Sponsored

five9dak

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bikini '20 JL Freedom, '99 Dakota R/T, '97 Boxster
Does the top fold OK with the crossbar installed?

OP
OP
flyer92

flyer92

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 2-Door JL Sport, former '80 CJ-5 and '99 TJ
Vehicle Showcase
I'd use shrink tube if you really want to change the color. Obviously won't work on the extensions, but it will cover the center section nicely.
Great idea. Since it’s so hot here, it'll probably shrink when I just set it out in the sun!

I already painted the main crossmember with Fusion, but I might try the shrink tube if/when it starts chipping. Thanks for the recommendation!

Last edited:
OP
OP
flyer92

flyer92

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Does the top fold OK with the crossbar installed?
No idea, but I purposely cut the crossbar so it would clear the soft top tracks and support arms. The only reason I haven't tried it out, is because I have a Tuffy locking trunk installed, and I'm not sure if I'll be able to raise the top once it's lowered down onto the trunk. Perhaps someone can comment on that. If it's no problem, then I'll be happy to try it out.

five9dak

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bikini '20 JL Freedom, '99 Dakota R/T, '97 Boxster
No idea, but I purposely cut the crossbar so it would clear the soft top tracks and support arms. The only reason I haven't tried it out, is because I have a Tuffy locking trunk installed, and I'm not sure if I'll be able to raise the top once it's lowered down onto the trunk. Perhaps someone can comment on that. If it's no problem, then I'll be happy to try it out.

Not sure I understand the concern here, not familiar with the trunk. As far as the OEM soft top is concerned, if you don't engage the locks I don't see any reason it would not return up if there was an obstruction on the way down.

Sponsored

Guitar Man

First Name
Doug
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Wrangler S 2dr
Occupation
"Honey Do" List
Thanks so much. As for the tonneau, I would still recommend Rampage, as it is pretty heavy duty and has served me well. Just needed a little modification to install properly, and it is possible that Rampage has figured this out already and made the corrections.

Master Top is another alternative. I have one of these as well, and it is much easier to install. They do make a black diamond version that matches standard (not twill) soft tops, which is why I bought it. Seems to be pretty decent quality, but I haven't used it as much.
What modification did you make to the Rampage tonneau? Mine sagged quite a bit behind the seats. Looked like it needed the wind jammer to hold it up. Don't want the wind jammer. Returned it.

OP
OP
flyer92

flyer92

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
What modification did you make to the Rampage tonneau? Mine sagged quite a bit behind the seats. Looked like it needed the wind jammer to hold it up. Don't want the wind jammer. Returned it.
My problem was the opposite of yours. The tonneau was extremely tight and the plastic tabs were so wide, that I couldn't stretch the fabric enough to engage the tabs in the body tub channels. So...I cut the forward-most tabs lengthwise by 1/4 inch, and that was just enough to allow me to engage them on each side. I keep the tonneau on for most of the year, and even with all that stretching, it can still be a little challenging to install, even when I let it sit in the hot Nevada sun for awhile.

Not sure what to do about a loose tonneau though. might want to consider returning it and seeing if a replacement is any better.

Guitar Man

First Name
Doug
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Wrangler S 2dr
Occupation
"Honey Do" List
My problem was the opposite of yours. The tonneau was extremely tight and the plastic tabs were so wide, that I couldn't stretch the fabric enough to engage the tabs in the body tub channels. So...I cut the forward-most tabs lengthwise by 1/4 inch, and that was just enough to allow me to engage them on each side. I keep the tonneau on for most of the year, and even with all that stretching, it can still be a little challenging to install, even when I let it sit in the hot Nevada sun for awhile.

Not sure what to do about a loose tonneau though. might want to consider returning it and seeing if a replacement is any better.
Thanks for the reply. I've tried 2 covers so far and returned them. Both sagged in front behind the seats but fit tight in the back. Hate to keep ordering with same results. (Didn't Einstein have an opinion on that kind of activity?) I've seen several photos of the Rampage on 2 doors. Some look good, most are hard to tell because of the angle. Maybe they vary on when they are produced.

four low

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL
That sagging in the front could be corrected using a fiberglass rod ( repurposed tent support rod) that sockets into the tub side rails, with enough arch to lift the front of the tonneau. I did this prior to my JL, on CJs and JK 2 doors.
Kept water from pooling and running into the cockpit.
A DIY Velcro loop or snap loop will keep the rod centered under the front edge of the tonneau.
This was Old School DIY.

roaniecowpony

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR, 14 GMC 1500 CC All TERRAIN
Occupation
Retired Engineer
Great thread. I was thinking of something similar; small, lightweight, and simple, quick to setup and take down.
Sponsored