flyer92

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 2-Door JL Sport, former '80 CJ-5 and '99 TJ
Vehicle Showcase
Given the lack of awning/shelter options for the 2-door JL, I decided to make my own.

Jeep Wrangler JL Easy Shelter for 2-Door JL IMG_4243.JPG
Jeep Wrangler JL Easy Shelter for 2-Door JL IMG_4245.JPG

Members in other threads asked me to post my final product, so here's a short video about it:

It is important to note that this may not accommodate everyone's use case, but here were my requirements:

-Usable with the soft top in safari mode.
-Portable.
-Durable.
-Easy to deploy, take down, and stow.
-Cheap, but not chintzy.

The main crossmember can be left in place while the Jeep is being driven, or you can easily remove it from the Quick Fist clamps:

Jeep Wrangler JL Easy Shelter for 2-Door JL IMG_4257.JPG

Once you have the main crossmember mounted on the sport bars, these are the only other parts you need and they can easily be stowed in a small duffle, backpack or gym bag:

Jeep Wrangler JL Easy Shelter for 2-Door JL IMG_4258.JPG

From top to bottom:

-83"x95" tarp x 1
-Telescoping tent poles x 2
-Removable crossmember ends x 2
-Crossmember tube insert for additional rigidity (optional) x 1
-Gated hitch pins x 4
-Stakes x 2
-Guy lines x 2

This set-up is highly configurable for different tarp sizes, and I'm sure that our members will come up with a variety of upgrades. I just needed something quick and easy, but I'm interested to see how y'all can improve on it. Enjoy!
Sponsored

j-rob

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Incoming 2023
Given the lack of awning/shelter options for the 2-door JL, I decided to make my own.

Members in other threads asked me to post my final product, so here's a short video about it:

It is important to note that this may not accommodate everyone's use case, but here were my requirements:

-Usable with the soft top in safari mode.
-Portable.
-Durable.
-Easy to deploy, take down, and stow.
-Cheap, but not chintzy.

The main crossmember can be left in place while the Jeep is being driven, or you can easily remove it from the Quick Fist clamps:

Once you have the main crossmember mounted on the sport bars, these are the only other parts you need and they can easily be stowed in a small duffle, backpack or gym bag:

From top to bottom:

-83"x95" tarp x 1
-Telescoping tent poles x 2
-Removable crossmember ends x 2
-Crossmember tube insert for additional rigidity (optional) x 1
-Gated hitch pins x 4
-Stakes x 2
-Guy lines x 2

This set-up is highly configurable for different tarp sizes, and I'm sure that our members will come up with a variety of upgrades. I just needed something quick and easy, but I'm interested to see how y'all can improve on it. Enjoy!
What tonneau cover are you running?

OP
OP
flyer92

flyer92

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
What tonneau cover are you running?
Rampage, but they only have it available in twill even though they also advertise black diamond (e.g., vinyl). It was impossible to install because the plastic tabs were far too wide, but I narrowed them just enough so two people could stretch the tonneau cover and just barely slide the tabs into the channel along each side of the body tub. Hopefully, they've improved on the design since I purchased mine last year.

dragoneggs

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 Snazzberry Pearl JLR
Build Thread
Link
Clubs

Looks great... watched the video. Inspired to do a DIY myself. Can you post a link to the tarp and extension poles?

OP
OP
flyer92

flyer92

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Looks great... watched the video. Inspired to do a DIY myself. Can you post a link to the tarp and extension poles?
Thanks! Still need to field test the tarp and see just how durable it really is over time, but here are the links:

Tarp:
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07FTGZX7Y?ref=ppx_yo2ov_dt_b_product_details&th=1

Poles:
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07DFFK33K?ref=ppx_yo2ov_dt_b_product_details&th=1

Clamps:
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B000CQPANY?psc=1&ref=ppx_yo2ov_dt_b_product_details

Best of luck and happy Jeepin'!

Sponsored

Krondor

First Name
Gary
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler JL - Punk'n Edition
Build Thread
Link
So stealing this idea.

Thanks for sharing!

j-rob

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Incoming 2023
Rampage, but they only have it available in twill even though they also advertise black diamond (e.g., vinyl). It was impossible to install because the plastic tabs were far too wide, but I narrowed them just enough so two people could stretch the tonneau cover and just barely slide the tabs into the channel along each side of the body tub. Hopefully, they've improved on the design since I purchased mine last year.
Thanks for the review! I’ll check out some other options.

Your shelter is awesome btw!

Last edited:

The Last Cowboy

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JL Willys 2 door
Occupation
Wandering Vaquero
Well done, nice setup. Some flat black Krylon Fusion on the PVC pipe would help it blend in a little better.

I just want the top part of a soft top so I can use safari mode.

Sponsored

OP
OP
flyer92

flyer92

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Well done, nice setup. Some flat black Krylon Fusion on the PVC pipe would help it blend in a little better.
Thank you. I did consider painting, but I thought it might eventually crack and flake off, especially because the conduit flexes a little when the wind catches the tarp. That was the main reason I chose conduit instead of white PVC pipe, as it stands out a little less.

The Last Cowboy

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JL Willys 2 door
Occupation
Wandering Vaquero
I suggested Fusion becuase it’s made specificly for plastic. If it doesn’t work, no big deal. A new piece of PVC is cheap.

I wouldn’t bother with the pieces that slide in since they will get scratched, unless you only painted that parts that would be exposed.

OP
OP
flyer92

flyer92

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
I suggested Fusion becuase it’s made specificly for plastic. If it doesn’t work, no big deal. A new piece of PVC is cheap.

I wouldn’t bother with the pieces that slide in since they will get scratched, unless you only painted that parts that would be exposed.
Yes...good points for sure. I have used Fusion before and it does work pretty well. I'll probably try it when the winds here die down and I can effectively spray paint outside.

OP
OP
flyer92

flyer92

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Thanks for the review! I’ll check out some other options.

Your shelter is awesome btw!
The
Thanks so much. As for the tonneau, I would still recommend Rampage, as it is pretty heavy duty and has served me well. Just needed a little modification to install properly, and it is possible that Rampage has figured this out already and made the corrections.

Master Top is another alternative. I have one of these as well, and it is much easier to install. They do make a black diamond version that matches standard (not twill) soft tops, which is why I bought it. Seems to be pretty decent quality, but I haven't used it as much.

four low

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL
I am going to use your telescoping tubes, with that tarp, to make a side awning for my 2 door, hard top.
The tube can mount to the Thule roof racks, and will make a light, simple side awning.
Thank you for the DIY Video!
Sponsored

Last edited: