First Name
Jon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
19 Raptor, 68 Y body coupe.
Occupation
G650 driver
I don’t know why I didn’t come up with this when I had my JK, but better late than never I guess. All in, this cost me about 40 bucks. 20 of it was in mirrors, and the other 20 was from Home Depot. What makes this work are the 7/8 atv/ motorcycle handlebar mounts.

Update: I ended up removing the sockets to paint them with the epoxy paint. Even though the sockets appear to have a protective finish, they started to rust fairly quickly.

The parts list:
Mirrors and mounts https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01HAXAYSM/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1(You can also buy them separate, but this was the only package available via prime)
2 14mm sockets (They had the 14mm in black, and they fit the mounts the best)
2 8-1.25 30mm cap head screws
2 1/4 x 1-1/4 neoprene washers
2 1/4 x 1-1/4 stainless washers

The pictures show a split washer, but I omitted those during the install because I didn’t like the way that it fit, and opted to use loc-tite instead.

2co0oy9.jpg

j5dqg6.jpg

29zexsk.jpg

The first thing I did was bore out the washers to fit the bolts, then I sprayed them black with some appliance epoxy. I used a 30-06 shell to punch out the neoprene washers.

15qx7c4.jpg

The assembly is pretty straight forward: put the bolt through the socket, then the two washers, making sure the neoprene is against the vehicle.

4hut6e.jpg

Next, use the factory provided t40 to remove the cowl bolts, and screw the socket on in their place. Add a little loc-tite and you’re ready to clamp the mirrors on when you want to run doorless.

295cw2c.jpg

ojqg00.jpg

161z79w.jpg

2i03lsl.jpg

2vmca4p.jpg

2e2111v.jpg
Sponsored

Last edited:

OldGuyNewJeep

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JL, 2016 Yukon XL
OP
OP
JJexp

JJexp

First Name
Jon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
G650 driver
Thank you for the compliment! The main advantage for me over the hinge mounted mirrors, is that these don’t fold in and become unusable at 80 miles an hour on the highway.

rafaelmcs

First Name
Rafael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler JL Sahara
I don’t know why I didn’t come up with this when I had my JK, but better late than never I guess. All in, this cost me about 40 bucks. 20 of it was in mirrors, and the other 20 was from Home Depot. What makes this work are the 7/8 atv/ motorcycle handlebar mounts.

The parts list:
Mirrors and mounts https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01HAXAYSM/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1(You can also buy them separate, but this was the only package available via prime)
2 14mm sockets (They had the 14mm in black, and they fit the mounts the best)
2 8-1.25 30mm cap head screws
2 1/4 x 1-1/4 neoprene washers
2 1/4 x 1-1/4 stainless washers

The pictures show a split washer, but I omitted those during the install because I didn’t like the way that it fit, and opted to use loc-tite instead.

2co0oy9.jpg

j5dqg6.jpg

29zexsk.jpg

The first thing I did was bore out the washers to fit the bolts, then I sprayed them black with some appliance epoxy. I used a 30-06 shell to punch out the neoprene washers.

15qx7c4.jpg

The assembly is pretty straight forward: put the bolt through the socket, then the two washers, making sure the neoprene is against the vehicle.

4hut6e.jpg

Next, use the factory provided t40 to remove the cowl bolts, and screw the socket on in their place. Add a little loc-tite and you’re ready to clamp the mirrors on when you want to run doorless.

295cw2c.jpg

ojqg00.jpg

161z79w.jpg

2i03lsl.jpg

2vmca4p.jpg

2e2111v.jpg
:clap::clap::clap:

JLURnoob

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
Occupation
SHAP Electrician
Vehicle Showcase
You sir, are an engineering genius! Well done!

Sponsored

OP
OP
JJexp

JJexp

First Name
Jon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
G650 driver
Thanks guys, I updated the first post because I had to remove the sockets and paint them. Despite their finished appearance, they started to rust fairly quickly when it rained. Now, they’re good to go.

I’ll also add that these have been tested to 70+ mph without vibrating so much that they become unusable, or fold over.

Lewdag

First Name
Lewis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sahara
Do the sockets impede the doors when you open them?

thousandbuckle

First Name
Brandon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2007 Jeep Wrangler
Hi JJexp, can you tell me how well you can see out of the Passenger Side mirror from the driver seat? Does the mirror have the flexibility to to pivot and tilt to be adjusted to necessary viewing angles?

WaldorfJL

First Name
Chip
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JL
Just got the parts in to do this....FYI...Kobalt brand sockets from Lowes...is the 15mm....for a tight fit.
Sponsored