Sponsored

Easiest way to tap into ambient lighting?

fknMeow

First Name
Tommy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR 6SPD /20 Wrangler JL Sport (6spd) - Sold
Hi all; I'm completely new to Wranglers, I purchased a 2020 JL sport in manual last month and love it so far. I bought it off the lot as I needed the car asap, and since I wanted (ie, demanded) a manual, I didn't have many cars to choose from...

Anyways, I'm trying to figure out the best way to tap into the ambient light wiring so I could add a few LEDs and be able to use the factory dimmer. Now I know that currently, the only lights hooked up to that on my car are the cupholder light and the door handle lights...I've done plenty of wiring work on cars in the past, so I'm not afraid to dig in, I'm just curious if anyone else has tapped into the system and how they went about it.

Thanks!
Sponsored

bdubschitown

First Name
Ben
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep JL
Second this request. Somewhere in here I did read that the chip is different for the OEM housing and LED; but I'm looking to add different lighting to that switch too and not afraid to tap the right wire!

YellOhJL

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Wrangler Unlimited Sport S
Occupation
Network Engineer
Bumping this to see if anyone has attempted this yet. I know the wiring to the Sport footwell lights only has 2 wires compared to the Sahara's 4.

WagzDad

First Name
Carroll
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
Oracle lighting has a video applicable to their ambient light product.

Sponsored

JEEPIDON

First Name
Charlie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Rubicon, 2021 Gladiator Rubicon, 2013 Ram2500
Occupation
Retired - Business Consultant
Hi all; I'm completely new to Wranglers, I purchased a 2020 JL sport in manual last month and love it so far. I bought it off the lot as I needed the car asap, and since I wanted (ie, demanded) a manual, I didn't have many cars to choose from...

Anyways, I'm trying to figure out the best way to tap into the ambient light wiring so I could add a few LEDs and be able to use the factory dimmer. Now I know that currently, the only lights hooked up to that on my car are the cupholder light and the door handle lights...I've done plenty of wiring work on cars in the past, so I'm not afraid to dig in, I'm just curious if anyone else has tapped into the system and how they went about it.

Thanks!
White with green tracer on the footwell light.

YellOhJL

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Wrangler Unlimited Sport S
Occupation
Network Engineer
White with green tracer on the footwell light.
Sport doesn't have those wires, it only has 2 wires going to the light in the foot well. Guess I 'll have to follow it to the source and see if they are available at the previous connector.

iamstillvince

First Name
Vince
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 wrangler sport s
Sport doesn't have those wires, it only has 2 wires going to the light in the foot well. Guess I 'll have to follow it to the source and see if they are available at the previous connector.
Old post but did you ever find out if you can trace back and add a wire?

Sponsored

DavidArmen

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR
Not sure if this will be any help to anyone but my 2021 JLUR has three wires going to the light under the foot wells. One wire is ground, one wire is for the led that only lights up when doors are open, and the third wire is for the ambient lighting which works with the left dimmer. The ground is the purple wire and for the ambient lighting system, the positive is the white wire.

Another note, I have not noticed my cup holder lights dimming with the dimmer switch, Ive only noticed the footwell and the door handle lights dim.
For anyone who does not have the ambient yellow wire in their footwell light, and whose cup holder lights definitely dim with the left dimmer switch, then that would be the easiest location to tap into, as the cup holder plastic top is very easy to remove, no tools and only requires a tug upwards.

EDIT: I’ve removed my center console top plastic covering this way but I do not recommend anyone else do this because apparently some people on this forum think that you can break it loool please don’t follow my advice as I don’t wanna get sued lmfaoooooo

Last edited:

CarbonSteel

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ford Bronco Wildtrak
Vehicle Showcase
Yep; tapped into one for my LEDs in my ROAM sliders and the other for the backlights in my axle temperature gauges.

iamstillvince

First Name
Vince
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 wrangler sport s
In my 20 sport the cupholder doesn't dim with left ambient roller, it dims with right dash lighting ring

Hound Dog

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JL Rubicon, 2002 TJ Rustomatic

Thanks!
So if you needed a car, why did you go for a Jeep instead?
Sponsored