Sponsored

Easiest Jeep Badge of Honor trail in California?

The_Paper_Cut

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep JL Sport 2-Door
I'd love to join you guys at Big Bear if there's still space available! Currently in a stock JL 2 door. The only trail experience I have is riding in a buddies JKU on the East coast on some moderate trails. But I'd love to get into it and learn the ropes
Sponsored

Pig-Pen

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU
Occupation
jabroni
Clubs

id be interested in going. ive done Gold Mountain once. i dont think i even had 35s yet. i just need to install my new skid plates, just in case. that's an afternoon install.

ive gone out there in groups of 15-20. plenty of room. plus people always cancel at the last minute for various reasons.

planning to move much closer to there in a few months. will be out there all the time :jk:

El Zilcho

First Name
Max
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sport, Rubicon axles
So I would say Pinyon mountain is the easiest BOH trail in Cali from my experience. Did it yesterday by myself with my wife spotting me ( worked surprisingly well this time :)). From technical stand point the trail is not very difficult. But from psychological perspective Heart Attack Hill is scary AF, I saw 34 degrees incline in Off-road pages and it was when I was not scared to look at the gauges, so most likely it was more at some point. Very easy to make a mistake and roll the Jeep. So dont make my mistake and never go alone. Its a very long hike to get a cell phone reception if something goes wrong.

demisx

First Name
Dee
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Wrangler JLU Rubicon
Clubs

So I would say Pinyon mountain is the easiest BOH trail in Cali from my experience. Did it yesterday by myself with my wife spotting me ( worked surprisingly well this time :)). From technical stand point the trail is not very difficult. But from psychological perspective Heart Attack Hill is scary AF, I saw 34 degrees incline in Off-road pages and it was when I was not scared to look at the gauges, so most likely it was more at some point. Very easy to make a mistake and roll the Jeep. So dont make my mistake and never go alone. Its a very long hike to get a cell phone reception if something goes wrong.
Glad to hear you are OK, man. Thanks for sharing. Any pics by any chance?

DuRsT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Unlimited Rubicon
Well now you guys are tempting me to drive to Cali for a few days. Now THAT would be one heck of a road trip.

Sponsored

El Zilcho

First Name
Max
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sport, Rubicon axles
Glad to hear you are OK, man. Thanks for sharing. Any pics by any chance?
I have some videos I need to put together, I try to do it today and post it here.
Interesting observation. I think the The Squeeze is way easier in Sport than in Rubicon. Sport is narrower and can take a safer line.

Last edited:

steverino

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR
Hi everyone,
I have a stock JLUR with the exception of 315/70/17 Nitto Ridge Grapplers. Are there any Jeep Badge of Honor trails in California that can be done stock, without dragging, scraping, etc?

I've researched Big Bear has 3, but all would require a lift and bigger tires to get through without dragging. Is this accurate?

thanks for any info.
Do you have any dates when you want to go. I have a stock JLUR so far. I want to do Mengle Pass in Death Valley in the few weeks. I have done it once....

Keith C

First Name
Keith
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR
Occupation
High School Athletic Director/ Track Timer
I live in Riverside area, have a new-to-me 2019 JLUR on 35s and would love to join in on a ride up in Big Bear. There is snow expected this weekend so that may not be the best time. Open to going pretty much anywhere in SoCal area. I have done most of the offshoots on Cleghorn but really need some seat time and experience plus some trail buddies.

demisx

First Name
Dee
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Wrangler JLU Rubicon
Clubs

As promised my first try at editing videos. I know I need to find better music :)
Nichego sebe! The first few seconds of the video made me confident that this trail is far up on my scale. Good job at not damaging the Jeep.

Sponsored

Keith C

First Name
Keith
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR
Occupation
High School Athletic Director/ Track Timer
As promised my first try at editing videos. I know I need to find better music :)
NIce video. That little bobble on the downhill was enough to cause a heart attack I guess!

Moto_21

First Name
Erik
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sport
Occupation
Maintenance
Vehicle Showcase
I would be happy to make a day of the trails with you and maybe include a few other new JL owners. PM me if you would like some company in Big Bear.

@Fsttanks That’s an sweet offer. If this happens let me know, I’d like to come out.
I was thinking the same, im always down to go lol @Fsttanks

Fsttanks

First Name
Tony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 JKU / 2014 JK / 2020 JLUR
Pinyon is NOT a trail for those without some prior off road driving experience. Most of it is easy except where it is not...LoL. That’s when folks get into trouble. Lots of “roll overs” on the downhill portion usually by novice driving pushing their limits. And lots of fender and mirror damage trying to make it through the “squeeze”.

Last edited:

raj21747

First Name
raj
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
R. Enfield500, Suzuki M109, 392XR, 1999 TJ
Gold Mtn is one of the three Big Bear Trails. With careful tire placement you shouldn't drag anything on that trail. You can stack some rocks if you're really worried about it, but make sure to unstack them afterwards.

Pinyon Mtn Trail is another SoCal BoH trail that you shouldn't have an issue with. The squeeze is a little tight, but otherwise it's not bad.

Walk the major obstacles first, pick good lines, use a spotter you trust, and you shouldn't have any issues with those two trails.
I would be happy to join one day. I am in Palm Desert and a newbie myself.
Sponsored