Sponsored

Easiest Jeep Badge of Honor trail in California?

Col_Sanders

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLU Rubicon
I'd be interested in running some Big Bear trails too if you guys do a group run. I'm booked up the next few weekends though.
Sponsored

Fsttanks

First Name
Tony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 JKU / 2014 JK / 2020 JLUR
Because it has been asked a few time on this thread and via PMs. Horse Thief is in Big Bear not far from Tip Top Mountain which in turn is not far from the the start Pontiac. All three are on the east side of Big Bear along the same main forest road. This makes them easy to run back to back.

Since the weather has been great and there appears to be some interest I would be happy to lead a group of JL owners on these basic to intermediate trails. If any of you are interested let me know. But let’s not wait until winter hits in full force because I hate trying to get mud of my Jeep...LoL

Last edited:

neeesack

First Name
Anthony
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.instagram.com
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR, Granite Crystal
Occupation
Mechanical Engineer
I'd be interested in learning the basics and getting to know my rig, I've checked out parts of the Crab Flats Rd before and just got back from hitting some offroads in Utah (first time using 4hi :)). I have a friend's place in Green Valley Lake (15 mins before Big Bear, right after ArrowBear) that we frequently go to for our 3-day weekends and would be down to learn from y'all.

Fonzilla85

First Name
Fonz
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler JL Rubicon Unlimited
Occupation
Lawman
Because it has been asked a few time on this thread and via PMs. Horse Thief is in Big Bear not far from Tip Top Mountain which in turn is not far from the the start Pontiac. All three are on the east side of Big Bear along the same main forest road. This makes them easy to run back to back.

Since the weather has been great and there appears to be some interest I would be happy to lead a group of JL owners on these basic to intermediate trails. If any of you are interested let me know. But let’s not wait until winter hits in full force because I hate trying to get mud of my Jeep...LoL
Sounds good. Let us know what dates work best for you. Thanks again

_olllllllo_

First Name
William
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Hellayella JLU Rubicon 6-speed
I live near Tucson Arizona and I would actually be interested in joining if slots are available and the planned date(s). It is only an 8-hour drive, which for any Montanan's on the forum probably sounds like a trip to the store ;)

Sponsored

Zandcwhite

First Name
Zach
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 jlur
I live near Tucson Arizona and I would actually be interested in joining if slots are available and the planned date(s). It is only an 8-hour drive, which for any Montanan's on the forum probably sounds like a trip to the store ;)
But the east coasters are picturing a trip across 6 states, not to a neighboring one. 🤣

_olllllllo_

First Name
William
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
But the east coasters are picturing a trip across 6 states, not to a neighboring one. 🤣
I can take an 8-hour drive and never get out of Arizona. I was shocked I can get there in just over 7 hours going through Phoenix on the I-10. Even taking I-8, which is so less congested, only adds 30-minutes, which is what I would probably do.

Iggy

First Name
Russell
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLR
I think all you Jeepers volunteering to take off-road newcomers out for training and a great experience is perfectly wonderful! You are stars! :clap:

_olllllllo_

First Name
William
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
You never stop learning and it would be a great experience even for a veteran of off-roading, which I am not one. I am always looking to learn more and be more proficient on the trails.

Sponsored

El Zilcho

First Name
Max
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sport, Rubicon axles
I would totally join you guys on a group ride. Did gold mountain during summer, but I'm really new to this an need to learn :) Also if anybody want to try Pinion mountain and want some company I'm all the way in :)

Col_Sanders

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLU Rubicon
What is a good time of year to do these?

demisx

First Name
Dee
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Wrangler JLU Rubicon
Clubs

I'm interested in doing the easy Big Bear trails. This would be my first time. I guess I just need to get some the must have safety gear as it was suggested earlier in this thread. Would be pretty flexible on the days starting April (unfortunately all booked till then).

Thank you guys for offering your help and expertise. We truly appreciate it. đź‘Ť

lembowski

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR Sting Gray

Pontiac is really awesome as a moderate trail. Tip Top makes me queasy, its a horrible trail to be on if there is any traffic with the drop off to nowhere lol. I like to run up from Pioneer Town and hit the Sluice on my way up to Big Bear.

Fsttanks

First Name
Tony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 JKU / 2014 JK / 2020 JLUR
Pontiac is really awesome as a moderate trail. Tip Top makes me queasy, its a horrible trail to be on if there is any traffic with the drop off to nowhere lol. I like to run up from Pioneer Town and hit the Sluice on my way up to Big Bear.
I prefer to start the three trails I mentioned from the Pioneer Town area too. Just a much faster route to the trails vs fighting weekend winter time traffic up the 18 or 38.

The key to Tip Top is hitting it early in the morning. And then be back down by 11:00 to avoid those heading up to have lunch and enjoy the view. I usually run it first then head over to one of the other two trails depending on how adventurous everyone is feeling.

If Tip Top makes you nervous then Horse Thief will down right keep you on the edge of your set with pucker factor. NOT that it’s a hard trail, it mostly isn’t (one scary turn), it is just largely shelf road with steep drop offs to the sides. Sometimes on both sides of your Jeep at the same time🥴. It is not a heavily run trail because it plays visually with a lot of folks minds. But that is what makes it exciting. Oh and it is one way in all down hill and one way out all up hill. Going up is less exciting then going down.
Sponsored

Last edited: