Sponsored

Easiest Jeep Badge of Honor trail in California?

stylett9

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep
Hi everyone,
I have a stock JLUR with the exception of 315/70/17 Nitto Ridge Grapplers. Are there any Jeep Badge of Honor trails in California that can be done stock, without dragging, scraping, etc?

I've researched Big Bear has 3, but all would require a lift and bigger tires to get through without dragging. Is this accurate?

thanks for any info.
Sponsored

YJA

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR, 1988 YJ, 1983 CJ-7
Hi everyone,
I have a stock JLUR with the exception of 315/70/17 Nitto Ridge Grapplers. Are there any Jeep Badge of Honor trails in California that can be done stock, without dragging, scraping, etc?

I've researched Big Bear has 3, but all would require a lift and bigger tires to get through without dragging. Is this accurate?

thanks for any info.
Gold Mtn is one of the three Big Bear Trails. With careful tire placement you shouldn't drag anything on that trail. You can stack some rocks if you're really worried about it, but make sure to unstack them afterwards.

Pinyon Mtn Trail is another SoCal BoH trail that you shouldn't have an issue with. The squeeze is a little tight, but otherwise it's not bad.

Walk the major obstacles first, pick good lines, use a spotter you trust, and you shouldn't have any issues with those two trails.

Fsttanks

First Name
Tony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 JKU / 2014 JK / 2020 JLUR
Hi everyone,

thanks for any info.
I have run all three of the “badge” trails and then some in my stock 2020 JLUR (also on 315/70/17s) None are hard, but then I have been running Big Bear trails for the last 30 years.

I would first suggest running “Horse Thief Canyon” then “Tip Top Mountain” followed by “Pontiac Sluice”. All are in Big Bear. After those you will know your Jeep better and be ready for the more challenging Big Bear trail fun. Expect to scrap and bang things it happens even with lifts and large tires just no way around it. Your JLUR is well protected underneath and a few belly scarps and light bangs will not hurt anything.

Your JLUR is extremely capable, but you have to have the ability to get the most out of it with proper driving. Building up off road driving skill is far more important then lifts and large tires.

I would be happy to make a day of the trails with you and maybe include a few other new JL owners. PM me if you would like some company in Big Bear.

wibornz

First Name
Ted
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL Unlimited Rubicon
Occupation
Retired from Corrections....I have stories.
I have run all three of the “badge” trails and then some in my stock 2020 JLUR (also on 315/70/17s) None are hard, but then I have been running Big Bear trails for the last 30 years.

I would first suggest running “Horse Thief Canyon” then “Tip Top Mountain” followed by “Pontiac Sluice”. All are in Big Bear. After those you will know your Jeep better and be ready for the more challenging Big Bear trail fun. Expect to scrap and bang things it happens even with lifts and large tires just no way around it. Your JLUR is well protected underneath and a few belly scarps and light bangs will not hurt anything.

Your JLUR is extremely capable, but you have to have the ability to get the most out of it with proper driving. Building up off road driving skill is far more important then lifts and large tires.

I would be happy to make a day of the trails with you and maybe include a few other new JL owners. PM me if you would like some company in Big Bear.
People like you make this site a great place. If I was out there I would take you up on the offer and feed you lunch.

Sponsored

Beetle Bailey

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR, HD Dyna, HD Softail

[ /QUOTE]

I found Tip Top on the map, but cannot find Pontiac sluice. Also, is Horse Thief near Corona?

Thank you...and I agree with Wibornz...people like you make a big difference

demisx

First Name
Dee
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Wrangler JLU Rubicon
Clubs

Thank you for sharing. Are these trails easy enough to do by yourself or would you recommend to go at least with another car? I am a new Jeep owner and never done a trail before. Looking for something easy to start with.

chevymitchell

First Name
Shawn
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR (Pain Train), 2022 2500 AT4
Occupation
Avi Engineer
^^This^^

I ran all of the badge trails in CA stock. You can certainly do it. Seat time is your most valuable tool.

OP
OP

stylett9

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep

thank you for the details. I just looked up Horse Thief Canyon, is it otherwise known as Horse Thief Flat? Either way it seemed much more palatable for my current skill level.

A few of the other guys mentioned Pinyon. I looked up videos and was incredibly "humbled" if this is what people view as "easy". The tight squeeze part, I watched a video of a JL tear off it's rear fender and scratch the hard top. He went slow and was trying to be very careful, not sure how I would have done any better.

Iggy

First Name
Russell
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLR
Thank you for sharing. Are these trails easy enough to do by yourself or would you recommend to go at least with another car? I am a new Jeep owner and never done a trail before. Looking for something easy to start with.
1. Don't go out on Jeep trails alone until you're quite experienced (years).
2. Ensure someone in your group has at least a 30' tow strap.
3. Carry a shovel.
4. Have some extra water and blankets because you'll likely get stuck.
5. A winch can be a life saver. A Hi-lift jack is a life saver.
6. See #1

Sponsored

demisx

First Name
Dee
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Wrangler JLU Rubicon
Clubs

1. Don't go out on Jeep trails alone until you're quite experienced (years).
2. Ensure someone in your group has at least a 30' tow strap.
3. Carry a shovel.
4. Have some extra water and blankets because you'll likely get stuck.
5. A winch can be a life saver. A Hi-lift jack is a life saver.
6. See #1
Thank you. Your message is very clear and extremely valuable. I appreciate it. Could you guys please recommend the best way to get together with a group of people, so we can go together? Especially, if one doesn't use Facebook (or any social sites for that matter).

_olllllllo_

First Name
William
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Hellayella JLU Rubicon 6-speed
Great advice @Dusty about not doing out alone. I have done it on trails that I know well and are frequently used by others. I live in Southern Arizona and carrying extra water is a necessity and double in the summer. Always prepare for trouble and you usually won't encounter it, but the opposite always seems to come to fruition. I would add a first aid kit, map of the area and a compass to the list, but I was involved in Boy Scouts as a youth and a leader so those items are ingrained in my thinking.

I would also invest in a GMRS radio as they have more distance and can hit repeaters to get help. As part of that have a list handy of the emergency services in the area as you probably will be out of cell service. A GMRS license is easy to get from the FCC and allows you to use much higher wattage radios.

GMRS vs FRS
Big Bear GMRS Repeaters

40”JLURD

First Name
Ross
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JL Unlimited Rubicon Diesel
Occupation
Bad Mother Fucker
Thank you. Your message is very clear and extremely valuable. I appreciate it. Could you guys please recommend the best way to get together with a group of people, so we can go together? Especially, if one doesn't use Facebook (or any social sites for that matter).
I would PM @Fsttanks and take him up on his offer from post #4 in this thread.

That was very generous of him and he’s not that far from you. Would be well worth the trip I’d think.

_olllllllo_

First Name
William
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Hellayella JLU Rubicon 6-speed

Fonzilla85

First Name
Fonz
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler JL Rubicon Unlimited
Occupation
Lawman

@Fsttanks That’s an sweet offer. If this happens let me know, I’d like to come out.
Sponsored