Easiest/cheapest way to go about 37"s?

omi205

First Name
Omar
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler Sahara Unlimited
Thinking about jumping up from the KO2s (that come stock with the Rubi) to 37''s. I know this will need a lift on my JLUS (Sahara). I think the max I can go without a lift is 35''s but even then your pushing it. I could actually settle for 35" but I would still do a slight lift. I do not want to mess with re-gearing. So if 37''s require re-gearing, then 37''s are out of the question. I don't want to do too much work to rig as ill be getting the Cyber Truck in about 16 month or so. Basically looking to do just enough to get me more off-road fun.

Any info is much appreciated. Also if you now any good places in the SoCal area that would do this kinda work that would be great. Called around to a few places and it seems like prices are all over the place. Dosnt make any sense.
Sponsored

blnewt

First Name
Brad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep JL V6 SportS, (Retired 74 CJ-5, 80 CJ-7)
Occupation
Just ask @cosine he knows!
Stick w/ 35s, easier on the entire drive train and your 3:45 gears and smaller axles won't be nearly as much of a burden. Try a Rubicon takeoff suspension to get a bit more lift and you should be good to go. If you stick w/ the stock 7.5" wide wheels you may want spacer to keep away from the inner fender liners and suspension at full flex.

Headbarcode

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR Stingray 2.0 turbo
Vehicle Showcase
35's will only fit a Rubicon at factory lift height. A set of Rubi springs and shocks, as blnewt suggested, would make 35's doable while being cost efficient.

Pig-Pen

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU
Occupation
jabroni
Clubs

35's will only fit a Rubicon at factory lift height. A set of Rubi springs and shocks, as blnewt suggested, would make 35's doable while being cost efficient.
35s will fit a stock sahara/sport but dont disconnect the sway bars lol.

if you dont plan to do any serious offroading than 37s will be fine. especially if just a pavement pounder. i would recommend getting a rubicon suspension in addition to RC spacer lift. we've put this on a few Sports and it works beautifully, even off road. then you could run 35s or 37s. @zeebo56 has rubicon suspension and RC spacer lift from his Sport he just pulled off and is selling. he just upgraded to $$Rock Krawler kit$$.

to go to 35s or 37s as cheap as possible, keep your stock rubi wheels and pick up some Milestar Patagonias. we both have them in 35" and just picked them up in 37". the cheapest GOOD tire you can get. much less $ than KO2s. and if you plan to take it off road and disconnect sway bars, i would then grab a set of wheel spacers for the stock rubi wheels.

Pig-Pen

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU
Occupation
jabroni
Clubs

Here is a bone stock Sport on 35” Patagonias. he drove around like this for about a week till i had time to install his suspension. zero issues on the street. offroad, the tires would hit the fenders for sure.

Jeep Wrangler JL Easiest/cheapest way to go about 37"s? 807F81A0-4683-4DDA-AD12-CC757A7BD5FD

Sponsored

Pig-Pen

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU
Occupation
jabroni
Clubs

Here is the same Sport with the same wheel/tire package but added Rubicon suspension and Rough Country spacer lift. The ride is great with this set up. No issues and easy install. And cheap! Lol

Jeep Wrangler JL Easiest/cheapest way to go about 37"s? 44847D66-20C8-49B8-B9DB-2ABFB0952DEF

Pig-Pen

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU
Occupation
jabroni
Clubs

some people say the 8spd with handle the 37s on the street no problem. ive seen people take them off road like that as well; its just more difficult to climb over obstacles.

35s with stock gears is no issue at all. plenty of get up and go still. you can get a tazer for either tire to change the computer for the tire size but its not 100% necessary. i put 35s on my wife's cousins Sport without the tazer and she's happy with it. she also wanted to spend as little as possible for everything.

blnewt

First Name
Brad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Also keep in mind braking will also take a big hit going to such large & heavy tires, but at least Omar has a Sahara with the bigger brake setup. I would recommend a better biting pad if you decide to go w/ 37s for sure. The Powerstop Z36 pads are about the best choice AFAIK, not many performance brake pad manufacturers have jumped on the Jeep platform for some strange reason :headbang::no::mad:

jdubya421

First Name
Jakob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Rubicon 2-Door MT V6
Build Thread
Link
There really is no easy or cheap way to do it. You are looking at a lift, gears, steering linkage, the tires themselves, potentially wheels if you are still stock wheels, potentially drive shafts as well. Steering linkage will survive till it doesn't and honestly same goes for axle shafts.

I myself have gears, lift, wheels, and 37s. I know I need steering linkage and my front driveshaft has decided it doesn't like living which I didn't expect, but it happens.

CarbonSteel

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ford Bronco Wildtrak
Vehicle Showcase
I keep seeing people post that 35's with stock gearing is fine or the transmission will compensate for it. I will take the opposite stance and call bovine scatology.

I have 35's and 4.10 gears and it is not fine and transmission does not and furthermore cannot compensate for the lack of gearing.

I now have a 6 speed transmission for most of the time in high winds or hilly terrain and the constant up and down shifting cannot be good from a long term perspective. I am counting the days until I can re-gear to 4.88.

@omi205 - with 3.45 gears, you will likely not be happy with any tire above 33" without a re-gear. Just speaking the truth.

Sponsored

jdubya421

First Name
Jakob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Rubicon 2-Door MT V6
Build Thread
Link
I keep seeing people post that 35's with stock gearing is fine or the transmission will compensate for it. I will take the opposite stance and call bovine scatology.

I have 35's and 4.10 gears and it is not fine and transmission does not and furthermore cannot compensate for the lack of gearing.

I now have a 6 speed transmission for most of the time in high winds or hilly terrain and the constant up and down shifting cannot be good from a long term perspective. I am counting the days until I can re-gear to 4.88.

@omi205 - with 3.45 gears, you will likely not be happy with any tire above 33" without a re-gear. Just speaking the truth.
3.45s and 33s (with the MT) was honestly awful.

Black Jeep Convertible

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.amazon.com
Vehicle(s)
'19 JLU Sport S 2.0T eTorque
Occupation
Amazon Influencer 😂
Thinking about jumping up from the KO2s (that come stock with the Rubi) to 37''s. I know this will need a lift on my JLUS (Sahara). I think the max I can go without a lift is 35''s but even then your pushing it. I could actually settle for 35" but I would still do a slight lift. I do not want to mess with re-gearing. So if 37''s require re-gearing, then 37''s are out of the question. I don't want to do too much work to rig as ill be getting the Cyber Truck in about 16 month or so. Basically looking to do just enough to get me more off-road fun.

Any info is much appreciated. Also if you now any good places in the SoCal area that would do this kinda work that would be great. Called around to a few places and it seems like prices are all over the place. Dosnt make any sense.
Less than 300 bucks, 2.5” fits up to 37”
https://amzn.to/3ehnxbO
Jeep Wrangler JL Easiest/cheapest way to go about 37"s? 851F53D2-0E8B-453C-BDAB-E454EE88F9F6

blnewt

First Name
Brad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
with 3.45 gears, you will likely not be happy with any tire above 33" without a re-gear. Just speaking the truth.
My 295s (about 33.3" tall) w/ Tazer on my 2dr w/ v6 8AT has been ok w/ the 3:45s, I'm going w/ 315/70/17 66lb Mickeys (295 Patagonias in E-rated are 2lbs less) in a couple months. I'll let you know how happy or unhappy I end up being. Got a feeling I won't be as happy w/ the gearing but MUCH happier w/ the tire, so maybe I'll still be happy :)
But I 100% get what you're saying!

CarbonSteel

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ford Bronco Wildtrak
Vehicle Showcase
My 295s (about 33.3" tall) w/ Tazer on my 2dr w/ v6 8AT has been ok w/ the 3:45s, I'm going w/ 315/70/17 66lb Mickeys (295 Patagonias in E-rated are 2lbs less) in a couple months. I'll let you know how happy or unhappy I end up being. Got a feeling I won't be as happy w/ the gearing but MUCH happier w/ the tire, so maybe I'll still be happy :)
But I 100% get what you're saying!
I took a 500 mile road trip yesterday into the Texas hill country and I have to say that I "HATED" driving my Rubicon. The wind was strong and with the hills, my transmission got a serious workout from 6-7-8-7-6-7-8-6-7-8-7-6-5-6-7-6-7-6-5-6-7-6-7-6-5-6-7-6-7... (you get the idea).

I left it in automatic on the way over, but on the way home, I put it in 7 to try and reduce the up and down shifting which only helped some. The engine lugs as it is not in its power band. I am running 1950RPM at 70MPH and 2100RPM at speeds between 77 and 80MPH.

I can only assume that a Jeep with 35" tires and 3.45 gears would be a complete dog...

blnewt

First Name
Brad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
I took a 500 mile road trip yesterday into the Texas hill country and I have to say that I "HATED" driving my Rubicon. The wind was strong and with the hills, my transmission got a serious workout from 6-7-8-7-6-7-8-6-7-8-7-6-5-6-7-6-7-6-5-6-7-6-7-6-5-6-7-6-7... (you get the idea).

I left it in automatic on the way over, but on the way home, I put it in 7 to try and reduce the up and down shifting which only helped some. The engine lugs as it is not in its power band. I am running 1950RPM at 70MPH and 2100RPM at speeds between 77 and 80MPH.

I can only assume that a Jeep with 35" tires and 3.45 gears would be a complete dog...
It's going to be far from ideal for sure, luckily I don't mind running in manual shift and keep the RPMs in a better place, and FWIW at least that 8AT is a fine transmission. Sure in a perfect world I'd rock 4:56 and I may go that route down the road, so we'll see :)
Sponsored