Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU
Occupation
jabroni
Clubs

I took a 500 mile road trip yesterday into the Texas hill country and I have to say that I "HATED" driving my Rubicon. The wind was strong and with the hills, my transmission got a serious workout from 6-7-8-7-6-7-8-6-7-8-7-6-5-6-7-6-7-6-5-6-7-6-7-6-5-6-7-6-7... (you get the idea).

I left it in automatic on the way over, but on the way home, I put it in 7 to try and reduce the up and down shifting which only helped some. The engine lugs as it is not in its power band. I am running 1950RPM at 70MPH and 2100RPM at speeds between 77 and 80MPH.

I can only assume that a Jeep with 35" tires and 3.45 gears would be a complete dog...
you seem to be the only person i see complaining about it mr grinch! there are people with rubis on 37s that say it drives fine. i was perfectly happy with my 3.45 on 35"s. it ran just fine and still had plenty of get up and go. not a dog at all. its not a sports car. sure it took a slight hit from when i ran 33s but barely noticeable. maybe the wheel and tire combo youre running is too heavy. there are tons of people on this forum with sports on 35s and rubis on 37s who are very happy with their jeeps performance. ive talked to some who say they dont feel the need to regear and are happy with it. youre trying to convince everyone that it sucks because YOU hate your jeep.

i recently installed 4.88s on my sport on 35s. honestly the only real difference i see, on road, is that it goes into 8th gear all the time now. performance wise there is really no difference. it does not feel any quicker off the line. mpg has improved of course. that's it really.

my wife's cousins Sport on 35" E rated tires with no Tazer does feel a little more sluggish. the tires weigh significantly more and the tazer does make a difference. she's happy with it though.
Sponsored

OP
OP
omi205

omi205

First Name
Omar
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler Sahara Unlimited
you seem to be the only person i see complaining about it mr grinch! there are people with rubis on 37s that say it drives fine. i was perfectly happy with my 3.45 on 35"s. it ran just fine and still had plenty of get up and go. not a dog at all. its not a sports car. sure it took a slight hit from when i ran 33s but barely noticeable. maybe the wheel and tire combo youre running is too heavy. there are tons of people on this forum with sports on 35s and rubis on 37s who are very happy with their jeeps performance. ive talked to some who say they dont feel the need to regear and are happy with it. youre trying to convince everyone that it sucks because YOU hate your jeep.

i recently installed 4.88s on my sport on 35s. honestly the only real difference i see, on road, is that it goes into 8th gear all the time now. performance wise there is really no difference. it does not feel any quicker off the line. mpg has improved of course. that's it really.

my wife's cousins Sport on 35" E rated tires with no Tazer does feel a little more sluggish. the tires weigh significantly more and the tazer does make a difference. she's happy with it though.
Thank for sharing. I was a bit shocked when I read that 35s would require a re-gear and I really do not want to do that. I think I'll go up to 35s and give it a test for myself. Now I just need to find out how to get a good 1.5" to 2.5" lift without breaking the bank.

Again. If yall know any places in socal that would do this work, that you recommend. I'm all ears.

Thanks again to all for sharing and contributing. It has really been helpful. Much appreciated.

Jabarsetti

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR
Occupation
Ret. USAF
Vehicle Showcase
15 of 40k miles on 35 M/T's in my 3.6 Auto JLUR w/ 2" lift. No issues ever with shifting. it didn't like to stay in 8th very often but it is CO. there was a thread on here where someone was talking about tricking your transmission by running the shift points manually. I tried this and have noticed a huge difference. I routinely get 17-18 mpg city and well over 20 highway and through the mountains and it hangs in 7th/8th a lot more now without babying it .

CarbonSteel

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ford Bronco Wildtrak
Vehicle Showcase

Your comments are somewhat laughable and trying to tell me that the difference in a Sport with a 3.45 gear and 35" tires versus the same with 4.88 gears is only noticeable on-road and there is no performance difference is hilarious and bovine scatology. I do not hate my Rubicon, but I do hate the way it performs at present, but that will be corrected with the 4.88 gear change.

My wheels are OEM and my tires weigh 4.1 pounds more than the OEM 33" so that is not it. It is totally about the gear ratio or the lack thereof since I added the 35" tires. While you and others may not "feel the need to re-gear and are happy with it" that is not the same as the Jeep performing as it should or did prior to changing the tire size. If you think that it is, you are in denial and are choosing to live with it versus admitting that a re-gear is needed.

Pig-Pen

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU
Occupation
jabroni
Clubs

Your comments are somewhat laughable and trying to tell me that the difference in a Sport with a 3.45 gear and 35" tires versus the same with 4.88 gears is only noticeable on-road and there is no performance difference is hilarious and bovine scatology. I do not hate my Rubicon, but I do hate the way it performs at present, but that will be corrected with the 4.88 gear change.

My wheels are OEM and my tires weigh 4.1 pounds more than the OEM 33" so that is not it. It is totally about the gear ratio or the lack thereof since I added the 35" tires. While you and others may not "feel the need to re-gear and are happy with it" that is not the same as the Jeep performing as it should or did prior to changing the tire size. If you think that it is, you are in denial and are choosing to live with it versus admitting that a re-gear is needed.
you should change your name to Qanon Steel because apparently you are the only who sees the truth and everyone else is wrong.

yes, when my jeep was bone stock it used to beat mustang GTs from a dig. Now it only beats the ecoboost stangs.

now stop being mr cranky pants and telling everyone they are going to be a miserable person like you if they put 35s on their stock geared jeeps.

Sponsored

CarbonSteel

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
you should change your name to Qanon Steel because apparently you are the only who sees the truth and everyone else is wrong.

yes, when my jeep was bone stock it used to beat mustang GTs from a dig. Now it only beats the ecoboost stangs.

now stop being mr cranky pants and telling everyone they are going to be a miserable person like you if they put 35s on their stock geared jeeps.
Give me a break--I never said that anyone would be miserable. I do stand by what I said and by my reply to you--especially the part where you say that there is no difference between 3.45 and 4.88 gearing with 35" tires. I am not sure who you are tying to convince, but the math is NOT in your favor.

Pig-Pen

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU
Occupation
jabroni
Clubs

Thank for sharing. I was a bit shocked when I read that 35s would require a re-gear and I really do not want to do that. I think I'll go up to 35s and give it a test for myself. Now I just need to find out how to get a good 1.5" to 2.5" lift without breaking the bank.

Again. If yall know any places in socal that would do this work, that you recommend. I'm all ears.

Thanks again to all for sharing and contributing. It has really been helpful. Much appreciated.
they dont require a regear. You live in so cal. Everyday you see 100 jeeps on 35s. 99% probably are not re-geared. Ive taken my sport, on 35s, with stock gears, on some fairly tough trails in big bear area and its done great on 99% of the obstacles. Only on the tougher ones that you have to climb over did it struggle some; which is why i switched to 4.88s. On the street it was perfectly fine.

i cant recommend any shops really. There is 4 Wheel Specialties near me in the valley. Been around forever. Its an easy DIY install really. If you can do an oil change you can install the springs/shocks. Just basic tools. If you dont have them, now is a good time to start building your tool set like every car guy should have. Zeebo56 said he sent you a pm. You should grab his kit.

Pig-Pen

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU
Occupation
jabroni
Clubs

Give me a break--I never said that anyone would be miserable. I do stand by what I said and by my reply to you--especially the part where you say that there is no difference between 3.45 and 4.88 gearing with 35" tires. I am not sure who you are tying to convince, but the math is NOT in your favor.
i didnt say there no was difference. I said, on road, i cant really feel any difference. I did say mpg has improved and i see 8th gear all the time now. Thats it. No difference in acceleration that i can tell. I dont need to convince anyone, except to not to listen to your whiny complaints about your jeep. The rest of the jeeping world must feel the same way i do or we would see more threads with Karens like yourself moaning about how terrible their jeep drives. In fact, i dont recall seeing ANY threads like that, from anyone, but you, Karen. Until YOU swap gears and can speak from experience about it, stop telling the world what you assume its like.

Arterius2

First Name
Jerry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sahara 2.0L
I took a 500 mile road trip yesterday into the Texas hill country and I have to say that I "HATED" driving my Rubicon. The wind was strong and with the hills, my transmission got a serious workout from 6-7-8-7-6-7-8-6-7-8-7-6-5-6-7-6-7-6-5-6-7-6-7-6-5-6-7-6-7... (you get the idea).

I left it in automatic on the way over, but on the way home, I put it in 7 to try and reduce the up and down shifting which only helped some. The engine lugs as it is not in its power band. I am running 1950RPM at 70MPH and 2100RPM at speeds between 77 and 80MPH.

I can only assume that a Jeep with 35" tires and 3.45 gears would be a complete dog...
Because you probably have the 3.6. The skinny 35s run like a dream on my 2.0T eTorque with 8spd. Super peppy and I see 7th and 8th all the time. With that said my 285/75R18 Duratracs being at only 60lbs and stock wheels probably helped. Which is probably lighter than some 33/34s aftermarket combos. I also get 21-23mpg mostly highway on my 35s.

I also run a fairly minimalist build and don’t slap on a whole bunch weight for shits and giggles.

Jeep Wrangler JL Easiest/cheapest way to go about 37"s? 6D3F2B9E-FD64-4EB9-9B74-959D13E174C7

OP
OP
omi205

omi205

First Name
Omar
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler Sahara Unlimited
Because you probably have the 3.6. The skinny 35s run like a dream on my 2.0T eTorque with 8spd. Super peppy and I see 7th and 8th all the time. With that said my 285/75R18 Duratracs being at only 60lbs and stock wheels probably helped. Which is probably lighter than some 33/34s aftermarket combos. I also get 21-23mpg mostly highway on my 35s.

I also run a fairly minimalist build and don’t slap on a whole bunch weight for shits and giggles.

Jeep Wrangler JL Easiest/cheapest way to go about 37"s? 6D3F2B9E-FD64-4EB9-9B74-959D13E174C7
Love this set up!!!! It's basically what I want. Clean study bumper, slight lift, 35s, and it's a Sahara too!!! Rock on man. 🤘

Sponsored

CarbonSteel

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
i didnt say there no was difference. I said, on road, i cant really feel any difference. I did say mpg has improved and i see 8th gear all the time now. Thats it. No difference in acceleration that i can tell. I dont need to convince anyone, except to not to listen to your whiny complaints about your jeep. The rest of the jeeping world must feel the same way i do or we would see more threads with Karens like yourself moaning about how terrible their jeep drives. In fact, i dont recall seeing ANY threads like that, from anyone, but you, Karen. Until YOU swap gears and can speak from experience about it, stop telling the world what you assume its like.
:LOL: :LOL: :LOL: :LOL: :LOL: :LOL:

Coming from the guy who says "on road, i cant really feel any difference" between 3.45 and 4.88 gears has zero room to try and tell anyone what it should feel like...so there's that.

Last edited:

zeebo56

First Name
Zee
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 jeep wrangler unlimited sport
Vehicle Showcase

So I had 35s on my sport for 1 year. Plenty of miles. It had good get up and go and didn't seem to take a huge hit. Maybe it's because I had 22 lbs wheels and 64lb tires or whatever the patagonias are. That's a lighter wheel and tire combo than a lot of people are running. I recently regeared to 4.88s like @JLUin818 and it's definitely got some more go but the biggest difference was seen with crawling. Day to day on road driving is not super crazy of a difference but highway is much more pleasurable.

I think 35s do work and probably more so with 4.10s on a rubi.

Can this guy run 35s with a lift, sure. He doesn't absolutely need to regear. If he chooses he can do so later. He can take some time to do it if he ever does. I think he needs to find a good wheel and tire combo or just use one of the lighter options in his current wheels.

Last edited:

blnewt

First Name
Brad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep JL V6 SportS, (Retired 74 CJ-5, 80 CJ-7)
Occupation
Just ask @cosine he knows!
WTF is this Karen talk?? He was just stating pretty factual stuff. I don't like hearing that 3:45s and 35" tires is a shitty combo since I'm about to go that route, but it damn sure isn't ideal.

I've done gear changes in past 4X4s and IME the difference on the road was pretty dramatic, luckily we've got a great 8AT that helps quite a bit along w/ Tazers that help w/ the shift points.

I know if I had a big budget I'd just get Rubicon axles and run those 4:10s and I would be happy. Just because @CarbonSteel has a different opinion doesn't make him a Karen, at least in my book.

Carry on.....

Kevin32199

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Wrangler 2 Door
3.45s and 33s (with the MT) was honestly awful.
I have an 18 JL w 6 spd and D44 rear w LSD. The very first thing I did was put on stock ruby takeoff wheels with Wild Peak 33s. Theres absolutely no difference in power. Mileage on highway is better. I live in flat FL where the nearest hill is hundreds of miles away. First gear is so high its almost useless--it only gets halfway thru an intersection from a stoplight and its revved out. Im running well over 2000 rpm at 80 in 6th. Theres plenty more high end to go here. I plan on at least 35s for sure, would love to stuff 37s in there. If I ever need lower gears, well, isnt that what 4wd low range is for...?

LSguy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Willys
Running 37s on my willys, no lift stock gearing. On road performance is fine. Just got back from a 1200 mile trip, no issues. Have around 7k miles on the 37s. Lock to lock steering is fine, though flex is impacted. Mild offloading has been fine. Doesn't go into 8th much, but fuel mileage and acceleration loss was fairly minimal. Willys does have the bigger brakes and the d44 rear, stock brakes are plenty.
Sponsored