Early JL owners (18-19), a question please about your rigs reliability so far

kakwvu

First Name
Kyle
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLR
I bought a used 2018 JLR (3.6L, no eTorque, auto) in February 2022 with 23k on the odometer. It now has 34k and the only issue I have had was having to pull the stereo fuse to reboot it so CarPlay would work (it froze me out).
Sponsored

LuckyShooter

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLR
2019 JL Rubicon 2door Manual Transmission

35k Miles
1) Bad Rockers on both sides of engine
-replaced
2) Rockers cause dmg to camshafts
-replaced at a separate time
3) Oil leak onto O2 sensor
-caused the vehicle run rough or randomly die on the highway
4) Rear main seal leak
-had the tranny dropped twice to fix this, first time they didnt see oil on the rms so they didnt do the repair when they have everything dropped
5) Radio screen has delaminated
-waiting to get this fixed
6) Both Visors have broken
-waiting to get this fixed
7) Radio randomly turns off when shifting sometimes
-cannot replicate, dealership wont fix
8) Shifter starting makes clicking noises when shifting from 3rd to 4
-waiting on parts to get this fixed
9) Oil leak coming from one of the cam sensors
-fixed
10) Oil leak coming from somewhere on the lower engine, slow leak
-waiting for an appointment to get this fixed

I think that's it. Besides all that, super great and reliable. GO Jeep!!

Edit: forgot some more issues
11) Srvc 4wheel drive error
-bad sensor on transfer case
12) Start Stop System goes out in the winter, just stop functioning
-dealership said its not throwing a code even though I get the codes delivered to my phone, I think it has to do with the second battery losing charge in the winter. It functions just fine in the summer
13) Oil leak from the rear differential, it looks like it coming from one of the sensors on the upper right of the differential
-haven't brought this up to the dealer yet
14) Steering all over the place, a gust of wind made it feel like you were going to die
-steering box replaced, issue mitigated some but its still there and white knuckled driving is now the norm for me

Jeeps response was give me a 6 year 75k bumper to bumper warranty that has a 100dollar deductible.

Last edited:

Stormin’ Moorman

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
19 JLUR, 20 JLUR, 21 JL, 21 GCL, 89 YJ, 04 LJ
Occupation
Forester
Vehicle Showcase
Can you please indicate what engine-transmission combos you have had in your '19, '20 and '21?
Sure, all are 3.6 (non etorque). The 2021 is a manual

Rico1111

First Name
Rico
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Rubicon 2 door JL
2018 manual purchased used with just under 10k. I have had very little to complain about ..early on had the dealership check and fix a dif leak at plug and it took them three tries to get it to stop. Have had many service Esc and Auto S/S cells show up but then disappear when the engine is shut down. I get it every day 2 minutes before pulling into driveway at home. Going to work(nothing) always when I am coming home. Changed out the batteries with an oddysey and a braille ..still getting it!
I did have the steering gear replaced and all warranties for manual done. I normally do my oil changes and maintenance ..well most of the easy stuff! They are generally easy to work on still but anything electrical I'll leave to the dealership.

So my esc and auto s/s lights coming on is caused by bad Vacuum pump! Ordered and Dealer will call me when in.... to install.

Last edited:

Sponsored

jaymz

First Name
Jay
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Rubicon Unlimited
I bought my '18 JLUR about a year ago with about 29k miles on it. I'm just over 38k now. The only issue I've had so far is a radiator leak. Dealer wouldn't cover it under the powertrain warranty so I had to replace it myself. Total cost with coolant was around $240 bucks and about an hour and a half of time.

If a vehicle is going to have a major mechanical failure, the vast majority of the time it'll happen within the factory warranty period. I'd bank the cash.

Nomad

First Name
Ron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Sport S
Vehicle Showcase
I've never purchased an extended warranty. This '22 Jeep scares me tho, reliability wise. I put on about 22K miles a year, on average.

I have 4K more until 12K miles. If I buy an EW I want to do it before the price goes up. I have 3K set aside to either buy or bank.

Right now I'm reluctantly leaning towards banking it and taking my chances.

Any real life experiences with costly issues would be appreciated.
I bought a mid-year '18. I did buy the extended warranty.

I think I had every recall that could possibly apply to my Jeep, and maybe more.

First, almost immediately the auto start/stop wasn't working, faulty clutch switch, but it took 4 times in the dealer before they figured it out. The first two times they couldn't replicate the fault or the warning message and said it had to stay running after the failure.. So the third time I drove around until it happened, took a picture of the message before it disappeared, and left the Jeep running so they could retrieve the code, and they... promptly shut it off and said oops, we can't check it now AGAIN. I was pretty pissed that time. So they took a stab at it after finally listening to me, ordered the clutch switch, and a few days later it was fixed for good. They did apologize.

Radiator recall.

Steering stabilizer recall.

Manual transmission reinforcement thing, and the subsequent torque lowering reflash.

7" head unit replaced.

Steering unit replaced with newer cast iron. It wasn't loose when new but over time got pretty squirrely.

Despite all of this, with the extended warranty the dealer (Koons in VA) did everything at no charge without hesitation, the first time except for the the duh moments with the ESS. And honestly nothing failed in such a way as to leave the vehicle inoperable. It would have been nice to have no issues whatsoever, but I still love the Jeep and wouldn't part with it.

Karnak

First Name
Yan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
19 JL 3.6 Sport S - 2 door
Occupation
government
Vehicle Showcase
2019 3.6L (ESS) with Automatic, 107000 km (approx 66500 miles) No issues whatsoever, replaced the steering box when the steering bulletin came out but thats it for now but I expect to have to start doing some maintenance as far as balljoints or else etc soonish.

Phred

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Sport S JLU, 2020 JL, 1948 Willys Pickup
2018 Sport S JLU 10,000 miles Battery at 4 months
2020 Sport S 20,000 miles Circuit board under fuse box failed in rush hour traffic in Phoenix. Very scary. At 20,000 miles engine failed while on vacation 717 miles from home. 41 days and counting at nearest dealer with no estimate to complete repair.

slowcrawlerZJ

First Name
Chad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR, 1982 CJ7, 2018 WK
Occupation
Retired Navy
2018 Sport S JLU 10,000 miles Battery at 4 months
2020 Sport S 20,000 miles Circuit board under fuse box failed in rush hour traffic in Phoenix. Very scary. At 20,000 miles engine failed while on vacation 717 miles from home. 41 days and counting at nearest dealer with no estimate to complete repair.
Oh that sucks on the 2020. Mine 2019 JLUR with 52K on it. I was in the same boat, vacation 550 miles from home and the engine said I'm done. Now going through the whole engine change process.:headbang:

Sponsored

JDyj90

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR / 1990 YJ (sold) / 2012 Challenger R/T
2019 JLUR 3.6 - auto

Just turned 29k mi yesterday. Only major repair was the transmission valve body 2 months ago.
Apparently it’s common for that trans and was covered under basic warranty.

SadRobot

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JL 2dr Sport
2019 JL Rubicon 2door Manual Transmission

Edit: forgot some more issues
11) Srvc 4wheel drive error
-bad sensor on transfer case
I'm going through this right now. Did you end up replacing the sensor?

edit to add:

- my sun visor broke this week
- stereo starting making popping noise and restarting every time I started the Jeep. Had to replace the stereo.

Otherwise my 2019 has been doing ok. It's a 2dr Manual Sport. 3.6L engine.

slowcrawlerZJ

First Name
Chad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR, 1982 CJ7, 2018 WK
Occupation
Retired Navy
2019 JL Sport - 45k miles, not a single issue.
Those having issues are typically doing something advertently to cause those issues. Sorry not sorry.

Spoken like a true mall crawler:LOL:
Sponsored