Early JL owners (18-19), a question please about your rigs reliability so far

theblackdog

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JL Unlimited Sport
2018 JLU Sport, built in January, late FIL purchased it March 2018. We inherited it Sept 2019, now has 75K miles on it. Supposedly it had an extended warranty purchased for it from the dealer but I never got the paperwork to try to transfer it over.

Did the recall work as needed and regular maintenance checks. The front brakes and rotors needed replacement at 70K and I replaced both batteries myself at that time since they were on the way out.

I did have to have the instrument cluster replaced because the odometer kept displaying 9999999 when I would start it. It went away after a few minutes but eventually I had the dealership take a look and it threw a fault code. $700 to fix that.
Sponsored

Spank

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon, 2020 Dodge Challenger RT Scat Pack
I just crossed 78k on my 2018 (built in late 2017) JLUR with the 3.6. It's been incredibly reliable and solid, but it hasn't been without a few issues:
  • One of the rear seat latches broke because of cheap FCA plastic, replaced under warranty.
  • Had a front Fox shock from the Mopar 2" Lift Kit leak about 8k miles in, but that was a Fox issue more than a Mopar one, replaced under warranty (even though I installed the lift kit).
  • Aircard died in my UConnect radio just after the bumper-to-bumper warranty expired, repaired it with replacement aircard, but then an update bricked the unit anyway so the entire unit was replaced. The replacement unit's screen started delaminating, so the screen was replaced. God damn nightmare, but it's been good ever since.
  • Replaced the rear drive shaft and ball joints around 60k.
  • Replaced transfer case and diff fluids at 60k. Front was gross, but rear wasn't too shabby. Was expecting the infamous locker sensor issue to crop up when I was done, but so far, so good.
  • Main battery died after about 3 years, replaced them both.
  • Oil filter housing slowly leaked oil in the valley that made its way onto the valve covers. Replaced it around 70k. While I was in there, I replaced the spark plugs and valve cover gaskets, but both were in good shape.
  • Alternator pulley started spraying grease just after I got the oil filter housing fixed, replaced the entire unit.
  • Had a bad injector replaced at 72k.
  • Had a really bad motor mount replaced at 73k.
  • Just replaced my Fox shocks as they've collected over 70k miles on them and have been on countless trails.
  • Just did transmission service (wanted to do it earlier, but couldn't get my hands on a filter at the time). Magnets didn't capture anything relevant, oil was dark (but not sludgy), gasket was still in excellent shape. Replaced the filter.
  • I'm convinced one or more rocker arm bearings are probably starting to go, so I'll need to address that at some point, but according to the computer, the engine is running perfectly. This is a known issue with Pentastar engines dating back to their beginnings, so I'm disappointed, but not surprised.
  • My rear main seal is seeping, but hasn't graduated to a full leak yet. It's real tiny and has remained that way for a while, so it's not a concern right now. EDIT: This ended up being a simple oil pan leak, no biggie, easily fixed.
I have taken this Jeep through 6 states (and have wheeled in them) multiple times, as well as Canada, so a lot of this is wear and tear from beating the crap out of it. For everything I've put this thing through, it's been a great vehicle and these issues are relatively minor.

This really has been the best Jeep I've ever owned. My previous JKs all had way more issues than this long before I even reached the bumper-to-bumper warranty with half the abuse. My JL has never stranded me anywhere and has never failed to take me anywhere I've wanted to go.

Last edited:

blessidsoul12

First Name
Jordan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 billet silver JLUR, 2019 chevy suburban
If you don’t mind me asking - what fixed your electrical gremlin? I think it makes it’s way to me and can’t seem to pin down the solve. I have it in a new shop today.
bad auxillary battery and power relay.

SavannahAL

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Wrangler Ecodiesel
Occupation
U.S. Army soldier (retired)
My 2018 JL Sport 3.6 with 8speed auto was purchased 20 August 2018 off the lot, so it was one of the earlier ones. While most members had great success, mine was a "frequent flyer" to the dealer"

Within 2 days: rain storm revealed Freedom top leaked big time in two places. It was almost comical how much rain water came through.
2 trips to the dealer over 2 weeks got the top 98% sealed, but never 100%.

Within 2k miles:
- left me stranded with engine overheating.
In total left me stranded 5 times and this is without towing anything.

- Within 30k miles: Rear defrost broke 3 different times. The first two times Jeep replaced the entire rear glass assembly. 3rd time just resoldered the wire.
Also developed a knock developed in the rear diff.
The a/c fan speed quit working on Speed 3 but would work on the other speeds.
The analog dash temp gauge quit working.
One of the headlights, don't remember if driver or passenger, quit working.

I used it on logging trails in the fall for bear hunting but other than that no off-roading.
I had it for 44 months and 53,000 miles.
I liked the off-road capability so much I traded it in on a spec' ordered 2022 Wrangler Ecodiesel, but glad to be done with the 2018. I never trusted it on out-of-state trips.

slowcrawlerZJ

First Name
Chad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR, 1982 CJ7, 2018 WK
Occupation
Retired Navy
My engine just went out at 45k. Rattle and CEL. Codes showed issue with cat and misfires.
Seem like parts are backordered! Has anyone had this issue and has any suggestions?
I’m in a similar boat as you. I posted earlier in this thread. My 2019 JLUR with 52k started having misfire issues took it in and they performed a block test as well due to erratic engine temps. It failed the block test. So now my Jeep is sitting at the dealership waiting on an engine. They have no ETA on an replacement engine. Was told it could range from a month up to six:headbang:. FWIW since my engine failure with mine that left me stranded 10 hours from home I have been tracking JL 3.6 engine failures for the last 2 weeks because I like data. There have been 5 thus far. I have had the highest mileage failure with 52K. The others have ranged from 45K down to under 10K. So when an EW is offered go for it.

Last edited:

Sponsored

58Willys

First Name
Geoff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Sport
2018 JL w/ 3.6 and 6 speed; 30k. No issues. Steering has always been tight, at least for a Jeep. Had the recalls done. Performed all my own maintenance, including replacing both batteries as they were getting weak. No complaints.

DanW

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JLUR, 18JLUR, 08JKUR, 15 Renegade, 04 WJ
Vehicle Showcase
I've never purchased an extended warranty. This '22 Jeep scares me tho, reliability wise. I put on about 22K miles a year, on average.

I have 4K more until 12K miles. If I buy an EW I want to do it before the price goes up. I have 3K set aside to either buy or bank.

Right now I'm reluctantly leaning towards banking it and taking my chances.

Any real life experiences with costly issues would be appreciated.
I've got one of the early JL's (delivered in early January 2018) and have had no significant issues beyond a couple recalls. It's been pretty bullet proof. Fit and finish were outstanding on it. No flaws, at all. One of the best machines I've ever owned over the first 65k. Check in with me at 100k.

Jeep Noob

First Name
JeepNewbie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JL Wrangler Sport S
Right after my warranty expired, the overheating oil indicator came on. I ran a diagnostic and received a code P2B28-00 Hybrid/EV Battery Pack Coolant Pump Performance. I’m not a mechanic so I’m letting it sit in my garage until I can get a general consensus from the wonderful experienced people on this website. How much is this going to cost me? And is it worth it to have it towed to the garage?
2019 2 door wrangler 2.0 24k miles, main warranty expired but I still have the drive train coverage

rayvonp

First Name
Patrick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Jeep Wrangler 4xe, 2021 Jeep Gladiator
Occupation
Truck Driver
Have an 18 with the 2.0 in it with 87,000 on it and the only issue was the hard top leaked when it was new

OP
OP
LuvHydro

LuvHydro

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JLUS Hella , 22 JLUSS Hydro
I'm glad to hear all these positive experience stories. Thanks everyone.

Sponsored

Kraty1

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited JL
Occupation
Sales & Marketing
2018 JLU Sahara, 22,xxx miles. Regular maintenance, several TSB’s and recalls, paint bubbles on hinges fixed, rear window defroster fixed, and upgraded to Rubi suspension with after market steering stabilizer and track bar to fix the steering issues/death wobble. No other issues or even any major issues, but it’s my weekend fun vehicle. I did buy the initial lifetime MOPAR warranty (no longer available) and can’t wait to see what that ends up saving me in the long haul as I plan to give this to my 5yo daughter in 11 years!

ObiMatt87

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Sahara JLU, 2018 Buick Enclave Avenir
Occupation
U.S. Air Force Active Duty (Retired), U.S. Air Force GS Civilian (Current)
I've never purchased an extended warranty. This '22 Jeep scares me tho, reliability wise. I put on about 22K miles a year, on average.

I have 4K more until 12K miles. If I buy an EW I want to do it before the price goes up. I have 3K set aside to either buy or bank.

Right now I'm reluctantly leaning towards banking it and taking my chances.

Any real life experiences with costly issues would be appreciated.
I have just crossed over 50,000 miles on my 2018 JLU Sahara and have had literally zero issues with it. I did have to change out the batteries earlier this year, but I live in San Antonio and the fact that they survived even 4 years is a miracle. I did have the steering box and stabilizer replaced under warranty as part of the TSB campaign out there, but it was just loose steering, not undriveable. Mine is my daily driver and I've taken it off-road here in Texas and up in Colorado. Love it and plan to keep it for a long time.

CaJLMetalHead

First Name
CAJLMetalHead
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler Sport Unlimited
my JLU Sport bought June 2018 only has 40K miles.. besides a service bulletin to upgrade the software to fix the steering system locking up at low temperatures my rig has been solid... it still has the original batteries! LOL

engarom

First Name
Jerry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU Sport
I’m in a similar boat as you. I posted earlier in this thread. My 2019 JLUR with 52k started having misfire issues took it in and they performed a block test as well due to erratic engine temps. It failed the block test. So now my Jeep is sitting at the dealership waiting on an engine. They have no ETA on an replacement engine. Was told it could range from a month up to six:headbang:. FWIW since my engine failure with mine that left me stranded 10 hours from home I have been tracking JL 3.6 engine failures for the last 2 weeks because I like data. There have been 5 thus far. I have had the highest mileage failure with 52K. The others have ranged from 45K down to under 10K. So when an EW is offered go for it.
Looks like we are in the same boat. I am located in southern California, where are you?
Sponsored