Sponsored

Early buyers - Is your JL 3 years old yet?

Goin2drt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18 Rubicon, 17 Grand Cherokee Trailhawk
So you've had 5 and this was your first bad one but you expect little from them? I'm not following that expectation, but ok.

I wasn't afraid of the 1st year or even early production blues because first, the JL's basic architecture is an evolution of the JK, not really a revolution, and the Pentastar was well proven. Even the updated version had been on the road in some numbers with the Grand Cherokee and the feedback on it had been excellent.

I'm sorry you got a rough one. I hope it has been worked out by now and it will give you good service in the coming years.
I never said expect a little. I said expect LESS. as the previous guy was comparing them to Mercedes and Lexus. I do not expect the experience to be that of Mercedes, Lexus or even Porsche (all vehicles I have owned) You pay for that exceptional service, quality and treatment. I expect LESS from Jeep. They make a great product when it works and that is why I continue to buy them. Hope that explains it for you.

Also and yes my steering is fixed. All on my own dime, time and dealing with them to no avail. Got tired of wasting time and not enjoying the Jeep so I dumped my own money in to fix THEIR problem. Now it is a wonderful Wrangler and we enjoy it. Can't wait to topless season.
Sponsored

Sean L

First Name
Sean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU, 2017 Honda Accord, 2014 Yamaha XVS 1300
Occupation
Retired Marine, Construction Estimator
Vehicle Showcase

Strommen95

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 GMC Canyon
So you've had 5 and this was your first bad one but you expect little from them? I'm not following that expectation, but ok.
Like with many things in life perception is everything. If this was his fifth Toyota and his first to have issues, he would be lamenting how great the brand is and he just had "bad luck" with the fifth one. People don't care about real world reliability, they rather just regurgitate what the echo chamber says. Jeep got lamented(rightfully) for the 2018 frame weld recalls. Toyota got praised for recalling many more vehicles for incredibly pre-mature frame rot. Again, all comes down to perception. Both are terrible examples of quality control but the reaction to both, even though one was substantially greater, was completely different.

To pre-empt the obvious "Jeep isn't Toyota" that's incoming, that's not the point. The point is people will excuse Toyota, Honda, Volkswagen, whatever company for their issues and scream the sky is falling when their one Jeep of 5 had issues. That's extremely hypocritical.

Toycrusher

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR
I rest my case. I guess because you paid 1/5 the price (BTW just so you have your facts straight a $60,000 JLUR is not 1/5th the price) you expect problems and junk. Plenty of great cars and autos that are 1/5th the price of those are great vehicles with no problems.

Only complaining here is people should actually expect more, not less when they spend $60K on a vehicle. If you don't and think people just are complainers that is your prerogative. They should also expect the actual manufacture to back their mistakes which in terms of the huge steering issue, THEY HAVE NOT. Too include plenty having to take them to arbitration, AND WON. That is sad.
I believe you are misunderstanding me. I'm referring to Chrysler/FCA accumulated bad reputation stemming from K-Cars, Neons, and their many other entry level vehicles. I think my JL is a masterpiece of engineering. I haven't owned any other vehicle that rides and drives so well on 37" tires, and with an SFA at that!

DanW

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JLUR, 18JLUR, 08JKUR, 15 Renegade, 04 WJ
Vehicle Showcase
I believe you are misunderstanding me. I'm referring to Chrysler/FCA accumulated bad reputation stemming from K-Cars, Neons, and their many other entry level vehicles. I think my JL is a masterpiece of engineering. I haven't owned any other vehicle that rides and drives so well on 37" tires, and with an SFA at that!
I get what you mean. Funny thing whenever anyone mentions a K-car, we had a neighbor that ran one of those things for nearly 3k miles. It was a Plymouth Reliant. He loved that car! Of course, he babied it and never really stressed it. He was an old guy that drove like it was always Sunday morning! Lol!

Sponsored

Sean L

First Name
Sean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
I get what you mean. Funny thing whenever anyone mentions a K-car, we had a neighbor that ran one of those things for nearly 3k miles. It was a Plymouth Reliant. He loved that car! Of course, he babied it and never really stressed it. He was an old guy that drove like it was always Sunday morning! Lol!
The Plymouth Reliant was nearly indestructible! lol I also don't know why everyone brings up K cars as bad... Pretty much every car in the 80s was bad compared to what we have now. They got you where you needed to go well enough but that's about it.

DanW

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JLUR, 18JLUR, 08JKUR, 15 Renegade, 04 WJ
Vehicle Showcase
The Plymouth Reliant was nearly indestructible! lol I also don't know why everyone brings up K cars as bad... Pretty much every car in the 80s was bad compared to what we have now. They got you where you needed to go well enough but that's about it.
Well, my neighbor's Reliant ran forever! Lol! Can't diss that one!

Sean L

First Name
Sean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
Well, my neighbor's Reliant ran forever! Lol! Can't diss that one!
lol there were several Reliants in my extended family. They were all running fine in the early 2000's when they started getting replaced by newer cars... Dodge Stratus and the like.

tenor (2).gif

AZHUND

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sport S, 2018 CX-5, 2020 RAM 1500 BTS
Mine is a 2/18 born on date. But bought it after it was sitting for a bit (that period when 19s were showing up and they were willing to deal on the 18s). Been solid - had its aux battery replaced, but nothing else including complete lack of rattles or squeaks that were not my fault. Finally getting around to more substantive mods and looks and drives brand new:

B8CD4B47-1484-4FEB-B03C-9145DD99CAC6.jpeg

Sponsored

DOOKEY

First Name
Andy
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.tractionoffroad.com
Vehicle(s)
2021 GCM 392 - 2019 SG JLUR
Occupation
Wheel Pimp.
I‘ve been on that trail, red cone. Was a good day.
I think about it often. My wife and I did that together. It's one of our favorites.

Sgt Beavis

First Name
Rick and Miyako
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Wrangler JL Unlimited Sport S
Occupation
The Man, The Myth, The Legend. In my own mind.
Vehicle Showcase
We didn’t quite make it to three years. Our 2018 JLUSportS had 33K miles on it when we traded it last month. It was a little over 2.5 years. The only downside was the steering, which was loose like many others had experienced.

We traded it in for a 2021 Rubicon.

LoveBugJL

First Name
Blake
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sahara, 2012 JLU Shara
I got my 2018 Sahara in Sept of 2018. It has 21K miles and is still going strong. Love it.
Sponsored