Sponsored

Early buyers - Is your JL 3 years old yet?

Sean L

First Name
Sean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU, 2017 Honda Accord, 2014 Yamaha XVS 1300
Occupation
Retired Marine, Construction Estimator
Vehicle Showcase
Wondering how many of these 3 year old Jeeps are 3.6 or 2.0.
They'll all be 3.6 4 doors. The two door and 2.0 didn't actually get built until later in 2018.
Sponsored

OP
OP

rallydefault

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 JLU Sport S
They'll all be 3.6 4 doors. The two door and 2.0 didn't actually get built until later in 2018.
Yea, I remember there were no 2 doors yet when I bought my JLU. I have a 3.6.

Edit: Actually, I think around March the 2 door custom orders were starting to arrive at dealers. I remember my sales guy saying he had a girl who custom ordered a 2-door manual and it was coming in soon.

Sean L

First Name
Sean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
Yea, I remember there were no 2 doors yet when I bought my JLU. I have a 3.6.

Edit: Actually, I think around March the 2 door custom orders were starting to arrive at dealers. I remember my sales guy saying he had a girl who custom ordered a 2-door manual and it was coming in soon.
I remember the 2.0 I was trying to order in February 18 showed up around August, lol.

OP
OP

rallydefault

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 JLU Sport S
I remember the 2.0 I was trying to order in February 18 showed up around August, lol.
lol yea it was definitely a different environment.

Anybody else remember the soft top debacle? I remember how cutthroat it was on the forums for people trying to find a soft top. A lot of the very first JLUs were hard top only, and dual top people were being told they'd have to wait months for their soft tops. And then some of them would turn around and sell them for a bit of profit on here haha

Rubycon50

First Name
Royce
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Rubicon JL
Vehicle Showcase
2018, 24,000, went through a major collision, new frame and a bunch of new plastic and running like a dream ;). I'm too deep into money and time on this and would not consider turning it over. Very happy with it.

Jeep Wrangler JL Early buyers - Is your JL 3 years old yet? Jeep edit 5.JPG

Jeep Wrangler JL Early buyers - Is your JL 3 years old yet? DJI_0193.JPG

Sponsored

Goin2drt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18 Rubicon, 17 Grand Cherokee Trailhawk
About to turn 3 years, 24,000 miles - also daily driver. No issues whatsoever, replaced Steering Box when TSB came out. Drives like new.
Curious: Anybody here decided to get extended Warranty?
Nope. Too many nightmares fighting with extended warranty companies. Unless my Jeep was 100% stock, most are not, then take that money and just put In a safety account. You are better off.

Gee-pah

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Andy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL Wrangler
Just thought I'd start this to see if it catches on. My JLU is just about 3 years old - March 2018 seems so long ago. Still going strong, no plans to trade. Just wanted to see how others at the same point are holding up.
I'm going great but believe my findings are not fairly reflective of true driving conditions given the relative infrequency with which I have used my 2018 since the emergence of COVID.

Sean L

First Name
Sean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
lol yea it was definitely a different environment.

Anybody else remember the soft top debacle? I remember how cutthroat it was on the forums for people trying to find a soft top. A lot of the very first JLUs were hard top only, and dual top people were being told they'd have to wait months for their soft tops. And then some of them would turn around and sell them for a bit of profit on here haha
Yep, pretty much every JLU on the lot was a Billet Silver Sahara, save for the one Sport S with a Soft top... I should have bought that one in hindsight. Not having to deal with swapping the hard top with the TrekTop, and a better selection of tires for the 17" wheels would have been less of a hassle for me.

But no, my wife isn't tall enough to get in without sidesteps... :headbang:

Jeep Wrangler JL Early buyers - Is your JL 3 years old yet? IMG_0951.JPG

No IFS

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL Rubicon
Coming up on three years. No issues. Love my choice. Mojito V6 automatic. However I may let it go to get the new V-8. Really don’t want to give up my awesome color. But maybe for gecko

OP
OP

rallydefault

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 JLU Sport S
given the relative infrequency with which I have used my 2018 since the emergence of COVID.
For sure. My driving has definitely been much less since last year. Work distance is always minimal, but we just haven't been taking the trips we typically would. Hoping this year will be better!

Sponsored

W5MQS

First Name
Mitch
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Granite Wrangler Rubicon JLU; 2020 Mercedes GLB 250; 2013 Red Ford F-150 4x4
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Interventional Cardiology
Yep...still have mine too. Took exactly a month to get it from the time it was ordered. Ordered on April 3, 2018, got her on May 3, 2018. 31,200 miles on it as of this morning. Only problem I've had has been with the automatic door locker when the Jeep is put in drive. Drove it around stock for a week and then promptly put a couple of bucks into it with a lift, wheels/tires, some powder-coating, bumpers, winch, lights and some nerf bars. Have been kicking around the idea of trading it in for a new F-150 for the past couple of months but not sure if I can part with it or not just yet. :)

OldGuyNewJeep

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JL, 2016 Yukon XL
Almost... I ordered it more than three years ago, but it took months to get built. It’ll be three years in June.

I love it. No big issues. Dual battery ESS setup sucks, but easy workaround.

For all the whining I see, I have zero complaints about my clutch or steering. Both are just fine.

MacombRoger

First Name
Roger
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR Ocean Blue
Occupation
Solution Architect
About to turn 3 years, 24,000 miles - also daily driver. No issues whatsoever, replaced Steering Box when TSB came out. Drives like new.
Curious: Anybody here decided to get extended Warranty?
Being a FCA and a 1st year model. I got the dealer to give me a deal on a 5 year/60k plan. Only up costing me like a grand, seemed like cheap insurance while I had a loan. Loan will be paid off sometime this summer, than it will be easier to swallow mods (yeah I'm married. :) ).

Really haven't it in for much beyond oil changes and a couple early simple recalls. It will be 3 years old late April. I am almost to 38k miles, one good thing out of Covid is I work from home now, else I would have easily another 12-14k miles on it by now.

I haven't felt the need for the Steering Box TSB, Jeep tracks fine.

b1er

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 JL Rubicon, '18 JL Sport, 1980 El Camino, 1969 Olds 442
Wife's Sport Dec 17 build purchased in April of 18, original steering box drives perfect lifted on 37's... radio reboots randomly, tail light harness failed, rear seat latches replaced on both sides. 7064 miles

My Rubicon June 18 build purchased in July. Steering box swapped out from the TSB, drives perfect lifted on 38's. NAV, hotspot, compass failed waiting on a new radio. 13700 miles.