Sponsored

Early buyers - Is your JL 3 years old yet?

DanW

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JLUR, 18JLUR, 08JKUR, 15 Renegade, 04 WJ
Vehicle Showcase
Nope. Too many nightmares fighting with extended warranty companies. Unless my Jeep was 100% stock, most are not, then take that money and just put In a safety account. You are better off.
I think the warranty he was talking about was through FCA. I've had the lifetime no-deductible powertrain warranty from FCA with my JK for 13 years and it is lifted and modified. Never an issue. Had the transmission replaced at 116k with no hassle and they even gave me a loaner.

I did buy the lifetime bumper to bumper with $200 deductible for the JL, mainly to cover the expensive electronics.

One thing I forgot to mention was that my 8.4 screen is delaminating. The good news is two-fold. Worst case, I pay $200. But JeepCares called me today and after being rejected by FCA twice (dealer was advocating for me), they said they were going to take care of it. So score one for JeepCares and also for my dealership. Not sure when the part will come in, but I'll have a new screen at some point. I think that means a whole new head unit? Not sure, but I'm very happy. Jeep has treated me very well over the 3 decades I've owned Wranglers. I would have been disappointed but not angry if I had to use the warranty and shell out $200.
Sponsored

Bikemobile

First Name
Zak
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL
Vehicle Showcase
About to turn 3 years, 24,000 miles - also daily driver. No issues whatsoever, replaced Steering Box when TSB came out. Drives like new.
Curious: Anybody here decided to get extended Warranty?
I bought the mopar fully refundable extended warranty. If I never use it I get my money back. I’ve bought it on 3 vehicles so far. Refunds on 2 after the warranty runs out.

txj2go

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
CTS-V, 2018 JLU Sport Firecracker Red
I believe my JLU Sport is just over 3 years old. I've only had it 8 months, I bought it from a dealer who used it as a loaner car. It's just over 12k miles. I've put about 6k miles on it including 3 trips to Colorado which means it gets driven very little around town. I have not had any problems with it, I'm considering replacing the battery before my next trip to remote locations.

JeepU4IA

First Name
Rod
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 Dodge Charger R/T, 2018 Jeep Wrangler JLU
My base Sport Unlimited was ordered in January '18, built in March (delay because of Punk"n color), and delivered in April. My only regret is not getting tow package but no big deal. In 18,000 miles my only issues were with the stock stereo which is replaced with aftermarket now. No other issues whatsoever. This is my first Jeep, first 4x4, first convertible................I love my Jeep.

Jeep Wrangler JL Early buyers - Is your JL 3 years old yet? IMG_20200426_191113166_HDR
Jeep Wrangler JL Early buyers - Is your JL 3 years old yet? IMG_20200530_200728668

Sponsored

Fuel Fire Desire

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sport S, 2020 JT Sport
I have the first JL to be delivered to a private customer in my state. Build date is 11/17, delivered early or mid 1/18. Just bought it out of its lease, and am loading up the parts cannon to make it more off-road oriented rather than mall oriented. One tons and 40’s in its future.

defroster tabs have gone multiple times, and now it doesn’t work at all (even with the tabs reattached by the dealer), rear seat latch likes to break, and my battery is starting to give warning signs it’s about to go (stop/ start doesn’t always work anymore, saying “battery charging”, and remote start doesn’t work all the time).

By far the best Chrysler product I’ve owned. Very pleased with it, and it’s minor problems dont bother me.

jlroman2

First Name
Jorge
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler JLU Sahara (Granite)
Occupation
BCBA
Vehicle Showcase
2018 bought on Jan 18. Major problems so far I’ve had are electric (nothing too extreme), replacing a few USB ports. Aux battery went out after 1.5 yrs. and my Dana 44 LSD had a clicking noise. Everything was covered under warranty. So far no more problems. Oh and the bubbles on the hinges. And cracked windshield of course.

jlroman2

First Name
Jorge
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler JLU Sahara (Granite)
Occupation
BCBA
Vehicle Showcase
2018 bought on Jan 18. Major problems so far I’ve had are electric (nothing too extreme), replacing a few USB ports. Aux battery went out after 1.5 yrs. and my Dana 44 LSD had a clicking noise. Everything was covered under warranty. So far no more problems. Oh and the bubbles on the hinges. And cracked windshield of course.
Planning on keeping it till the end of times.
35k miles currently

97765AC7-1C96-43B8-8FF6-DD88959F8C28.jpeg

2AB21C64-623A-4F43-AC48-190AA44D8907.jpeg

Goin2drt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18 Rubicon, 17 Grand Cherokee Trailhawk
I have the first JL to be delivered to a private customer in my state. Build date is 11/17, delivered early or mid 1/18. Just bought it out of its lease, and am loading up the parts cannon to make it more off-road oriented rather than mall oriented. One tons and 40’s in its future.

defroster tabs have gone multiple times, and now it doesn’t work at all (even with the tabs reattached by the dealer), rear seat latch likes to break, and my battery is starting to give warning signs it’s about to go (stop/ start doesn’t always work anymore, saying “battery charging”, and remote start doesn’t work all the time).

By far the best Chrysler product I’ve owned. Very pleased with it, and it’s minor problems dont bother me.
Well I guess with all those problems and you still say the best Chrysler product says it all. Folks I guess expect junk from them.

DanW

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Well I guess with all those problems and you still say the best Chrysler product says it all. Folks I guess expect junk from them.
Lol, then why do you keep buying them? I've never had a bad Chrysler product. I've had 5 of them since 1993.

Sponsored

Toycrusher

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR
Lol, then why do you keep buying them? I've never had a bad Chrysler product. I've had 5 of them since 1993.
People love to complain how they just aren't built as sturdy as a Mercedes or Lexus yet conveniently forget they paid 1/5th the price.

Chrysler group built many many affordable vehicles over the years. The quality of the components is reflected in the purchase price. Our JLs were NOT cheap and they are filled with many quality components throughout. Sure, a few cheap parts break now and then, and show me one automaker with a truly reliable infotainment system. I rest my case

Goin2drt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Because this was my first bad one. I have owned 5 and sadly I bought a first gen (2018) against my better judgement so I got a bad one. I expect a lower bar from them. Less of a dealer experience, less of a service experience and certainly would not get an extended warranty as that experience is HORRIBLE.

I just find it funny the guy that I quoted rattled off like 4-5 problems in 3 years and then says its the best Chrysler he has owned. That is just sad. Can't you buy a car/truck/Jeep and own it for 3 years problem free? Doesn't really matter what you pay for something even if it is 3X cheaper than another make, can't you expect a quality product or just because someone buys something for 3X cheaper they should expect junk?

DanW

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
People love to complain how they just aren't built as sturdy as a Mercedes or Lexus yet conveniently forget they paid 1/5th the price.

Chrysler group built many many affordable vehicles over the years. The quality of the components is reflected in the purchase price. Our JLs were NOT cheap and they are filled with many quality components throughout. Sure, a few cheap parts break now and then, and show me one automaker with a truly reliable infotainment system. I rest my case
They also forget that they don't beat the hell out of their Mercedes or Lexus off road. Btw, I have a Mercedes, and it is great, BUT it has not had the reliability of most of my Jeeps. or Fords, GM, Toyotas, etc. Great car. Not perfect. But I do love that old car.

DanW

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Because this was my first bad one. I have owned 5 and sadly I bought a first gen (2018) against my better judgement so I got a bad one. I expect a lower bar from them. Less of a dealer experience, less of a service experience and certainly would not get an extended warranty as that experience is HORRIBLE.

I just find it funny the guy that I quoted rattled off like 4-5 problems in 3 years and then says its the best Chrysler he has owned. That is just sad. Can't you buy a car/truck/Jeep and own it for 3 years problem free? Doesn't really matter what you pay for something even if it is 3X cheaper than another make, can't you expect a quality product or just because someone buys something for 3X cheaper they should expect junk?
So you've had 5 and this was your first bad one but you expect little from them? I'm not following that expectation, but ok.

I wasn't afraid of the 1st year or even early production blues because first, the JL's basic architecture is an evolution of the JK, not really a revolution, and the Pentastar was well proven. Even the updated version had been on the road in some numbers with the Grand Cherokee and the feedback on it had been excellent.

I'm sorry you got a rough one. I hope it has been worked out by now and it will give you good service in the coming years.

Goin2drt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)

I rest my case. I guess because you paid 1/5 the price (BTW just so you have your facts straight a $60,000 JLUR is not 1/5th the price) you expect problems and junk. Plenty of great cars and autos that are 1/5th the price of those are great vehicles with no problems.

Only complaining here is people should actually expect more, not less when they spend $60K on a vehicle. If you don't and think people just are complainers that is your prerogative. They should also expect the actual manufacture to back their mistakes which in terms of the huge steering issue, THEY HAVE NOT. Too include plenty having to take them to arbitration, AND WON. That is sad.
Sponsored