Sponsored

JABCAT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'20 GC High Altitude 4x4, '22 JLU on order
Occupation
College Professor
Back when we purchased our 2nd '16 JKU my wife really wanted the purple. Funny now when she sees one she says she's really glad I talked her out of it. Out of the rainbow of colors Jeep has used over the years, to me the purple ones never age well.

If Earl is similar to the TJ Gun Metal Pearl, I think it'll look good.

HeygirlHey

First Name
Jackie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Snazzberry Sahara Altitude (on order)
I love Snazzberry, but I'm going to be jealous of every single purple jeep I see! I will say that the swatch looks straight off of the Photoshop palette - they couldn't find one more interesting and multidimensional? When I hear Reign, I'm hearing pearl coat purple with some shimmer or some pizazz!

Sponsored

John VonJeep

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Many
I love Snazzberry, but I'm going to be jealous of every single purple jeep I see! I will say that the swatch looks straight off of the Photoshop palette - they couldn't find one more interesting and multidimensional? When I hear Reign, I'm hearing pearl coat purple with some shimmer or some pizazz!
I expect it to be the same purple they offered on the Challenger.

Jeep Wrangler JL Earl and Reign colors officially coming this year (late availability)! 1654778992393

JABCAT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
College Professor
I will say that the swatch looks straight off of the Photoshop palette - they couldn't find one more interesting and multidimensional?
Looks exactly like the swatch for extreme purple, which was code PHG. Will be interesting to see if it's the same color just renamed.

4F8934F1-2E91-432E-B95C-9C75B8858F36.jpeg

Whaler27

First Name
Alex
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JL, 2016 Jeep Grand Cherokee Altitude Ecodiesel, 2005 Mustang GT, 2018 Ford Raptor, 2018 BMW R1200GSA, 2020 Honda Monkeybikes (2), 1972 Honda CT-70, 1980 Honda CT-70,
Occupation
Saving the world :-)
I don‘t see the value in creating names for colors that tell you nothing about the color. I understand calling a tan “sand”, or a gray“slate” — or even “candy apple red”... but,

Earl = gray? WTF? (What percentage of the Jeep-buying population immediately thinks of Earl Grey tea?)

Reign = Purple? (Reference to Prince? Really? Barf.)

Shall we call plain old white “Barry””, or maybe “Shovel”?

…. I think Jeep’s artistic marketing wing is on a permanent acid trip. What I don‘t understand is who this stuff appeals to or why corporate management tolerates it.

John VonJeep

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Many
I don‘t see the value in creating names for colors that tell you nothing about the color. I understand calling a tan “sand”, or a gray“slate” — or even “candy apple red”... but,

Earl = gray? WTF? (What percentage of the Jeep-buying population immediately thinks of Earl Grey tea?)

…. I think Jeep’s artistic marketing wing is on a permanent acid trip. What I don‘t understand is who this stuff appeals to or why corporate management tolerates it.
By your standards, Sarge is out.

And I would totally buy a Barry White Jeep, but only if it came with a badass exhaust.

Also, I expect the overlap between Reign buyers and people who like Prince to be 100%, so not your problem.

Sponsored

Slippery Pete

First Name
Zach
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JLUW XR 2.0T

Betty White
Edit: (For the record, I like the white)

Last edited:

JABCAT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
College Professor

Google is your friend. Earl Grey is not referencing tea. :like:

grimmjeeper

First Name
Roy
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.grimmjeeper.com
Vehicle(s)
2021 Wrangler, 1987 Comanche, 1997 F250
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
enginerd
That Earl color will surely fill in the missing slot in the shades of grey...

rymanrph

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2006 LJ

I think Mark Allen (head of Jeep design) came up with the name Earl. Chrysler/Jeep has a history of fun color names. I appreciate them and I'm sure I'm not alone. I would say Earl tells you more about the color than something like Bikini. Would you rather it be called light grayish blue? I would also ask, what percent of the population is picking a color based on the name? Most people probably don't even know the name of their specific vehicle color. They liked it when they saw it on the lot. I'm sure the percentage of people who buy a vehicle without ever seeing the color they are purchasing is very low.
Sponsored