First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JL Willys 2 door
Occupation
Wandering Vaquero
E15 won't hurt anything, or E30 for that matter. To run on E85 requires different tuning and injectors.

The bad thing about ethanol is that it is hard on certain rubbers and plastics. If a vehicle is not built to handle ethanol you can expect these parts to deteriorate after time. Shouldn't be a problem for most cars built in the last 15 years or so. The other bad thing about it is that is stores poorly. Ethanol blend fuels break down quicker and ethanol, being a form of alcohol, readily mixes with water, further complicating fuel line issues.
Sponsored

blnewt

First Name
Brad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep JL V6 SportS, (Retired 74 CJ-5, 80 CJ-7)
Occupation
Just ask @cosine he knows!
Jeep Wrangler JL E15? [WARNING: NO POLITICS] 1652892453409

The other bad thing about it is that is stores poorly. Ethanol blend fuels break down quicker and ethanol, being a form of alcohol, readily mixes with water, further complicating fuel line issues.
Very true, all my 2 stroke lawn equipment pretty much has to be gone through every winter w/ complete carb & fuel filter/line cleansing. Gold old days where you could just fire it up year after year w/ only real concern was running out of gas are long gone :(
Hate that Ethanol crap!

four low

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL
Would some one define " slight decrease in mpg" with real- world actual numbers, Your " slight decrease" might be my
"Major decrease"
Example ; 10% Ethanol gives me a 3 mpg decrease over the same octane Non- ethanol. This is my actual experience, not "I saw it on YouTube ". Over 10,000 miles, that's how many gallons and or miles difference.??
So E15 could be expected to give 5 mpg decrease over non ethanol, or 2 mpg less than E10.
Those with actual E15 experience , please chime in.

blnewt

First Name
Brad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Would some one define " slight decrease in mpg" with real- world actual numbers, Your " slight decrease" might be my
"Major decrease"
Example ; 10% Ethanol gives me a 3 mpg decrease over the same octane Non- ethanol. This is my actual experience, not "I saw it on YouTube ". Over 10,000 miles, that's how many gallons and or miles difference.??
So E15 could be expected to give 5 mpg decrease over non ethanol, or 2 mpg less than E10.
No e15 here, but w/ my e10 on our Infiniti G I would get 30mpg w/ ethanol free (ran it for a couple years until the whole town no longer had it). With e10 it went to 27 w/ the exact same conditions.
And add in the "winter blend" crap it went down another 2 mpg give or take.

OldBlue

First Name
Doug
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
See my Signature
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Aerospace Forgings Test Lab
Vehicle Showcase
Very true, all my 2 stroke lawn equipment pretty much has to be gone through every winter w/ complete carb & fuel filter/line cleansing. Gold old days where you could just fire it up year after year w/ only real concern was running out of gas are long gone :(
Hate that Ethanol crap!
And that's the reason for the last 10 years or so I only use pure gas in my lawn and farm equipment, as well as my older vehicles ('94 Ranger, '90 Miata).

Sponsored

blnewt

First Name
Brad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
And that's the reason for the last 10 years or so I only use pure gas in my lawn and farm equipment, as well as my older vehicles ('94 Ranger, '90 Miata).
We don't have any source for pure gas except going to the airport and get racing/aviation fuel, might have to give that a try though. I have a couple 40v electric trimmer/blowers but they just don't have the same power.

Sean L

First Name
Sean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU, 2017 Honda Accord, 2014 Yamaha XVS 1300
Occupation
Retired Marine, Construction Estimator
Vehicle Showcase
"Major decrease"
  • My computer average is usually around 20-21 MPG running on E10.
  • On E15 it was around 19.7-20.5 ish.
  • Running on 100% Gasoline (that for some reason I can only find in 93 Octane so it's phenomenally more expensive) it's around 20.5-21.5.

Some more pertinent info to my driving style:
  • I use ESS at Stoplights and avoid using it at stop signs.
  • I typically use the cruise control at 65 on the highways.
  • I run Auto AC at 75 when I have the top up.
Everyone's mileage will vary, so take my Data with a grain of salt.

Sean L

First Name
Sean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU, 2017 Honda Accord, 2014 Yamaha XVS 1300
Occupation
Retired Marine, Construction Estimator
Vehicle Showcase
We don't have any source for pure gas except going to the airport and get racing/aviation fuel, might have to give that a try though. I have a couple 40v electric trimmer/blowers but they just don't have the same power.
AvGas in a Jeep might make for a spectacular explosion should you get into an accident. :CWL:

Bryce

First Name
Bryce
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR
Vehicle Showcase
Yep, I just replaced the complete fuel system on an 84 Bronco II from the tank to the carb.
Ethanol and lack of use. Rust, clogs, gunked up, etc.
100% gasoline and Sta-bil in it now.

Sponsored

JSFoster75

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR (Mojito), 2022 JLR (Tuscadero)
Vehicle Showcase
I've been using 87 octane in my 2.0L with 10% Ethanol for over 16,000 miles with no issues that I'm aware of. I don't think we have E15 here though?

OldBlue

First Name
Doug
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
See my Signature
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Aerospace Forgings Test Lab
Vehicle Showcase

JSFoster75

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR (Mojito), 2022 JLR (Tuscadero)
Vehicle Showcase
  • My computer average is usually around 20-21 MPG running on E10.
  • On E15 it was around 19.7-20.5 ish.
  • Running on 100% Gasoline (that for some reason I can only find in 93 Octane so it's phenomenally more expensive) it's around 20.5-21.5.

Some more pertinent info to my driving style:
  • I use ESS at Stoplights and avoid using it at stop signs.
  • I typically use the cruise control at 65 on the highways.
  • I run Auto AC at 75 when I have the top up.
Everyone's mileage will vary, so take my Data with a grain of salt.

I'm averaging 19.4mpg with 87 Octane on a 2.0L eTorque Rubi over the past 10 fill-ups, and I live in the foothills of the Appalachian Mountains.
Sponsored