E-Locker for M220 axle

Kenten05

First Name
Ken
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Wrangler JL 2020
Does anybody know why the e-locker that comes installed on the M220 wide is not available as a stand-alone product to install on an M220 standard? Is it not compatible? Does FCA have an exclusivity deal with aftermarket manufacturers to try to incentivize people to buy a Rubicon?
Sponsored

Last edited:

jessedacri

First Name
Jesse
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Bright White 2dr JL Rubicon 3.6
Great questions and I'm hoping for a real answer too - honestly is kinda odd and would be nice for Sport/Sahara owners to be able to step up to a well integrated OEM locker.

What I have noticed on here though is that when people have issues with the locker under warranty, FCA replaces the entire finished axle as one piece rather than replacing the locker. I wonder if it's a dealer tech training/packaging or supply chain issue? Kind of like how Apple will opt to replace a whole iPhone if the back glass is cracked because it'd take too much labor and training to isolate and replace that part in an in-store repair. Shouldn't be the case though, Dana axles are pretty dead simple pieces of machinery.

OP
OP

Kenten05

First Name
Ken
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Wrangler JL 2020
I feel like the reason they replace the entire axle is because there is not a separate part number for a stand-alone e-locker product as of now. They literally cannot order the locker itself. I'm wondering if that's due to the M220 wide design - is the locker incorporated so thoroughly that it's not compatible to be installed on the M220 standard? Or is it that FCA has purposely blocked it from having its own part number?

Sheepjeep

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
01 xj, 04 Silverado 2500hd
looks like the part number is 68400407AA according to here
https://parts.allmoparparts.com/aut...niversals-and-rear-axle-cat/differential-scat

fca probably has not released it for sale

i recently had my whole rear replaced under warranty, but my guess as to why they had to order a whole housing vs just replacing the failed parts is because setting up gears requires very skilled labor and would be a big ask for most dealership techs and its over all just faster and safer to do. Just remove the drive shaft, tires brakes, control arms, and shocks swap the axle and bolt it all back up. Fun fact when they order a new assembly, it does not come with new shafts

OP
OP

Kenten05

First Name
Ken
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Wrangler JL 2020
looks like the part number is 68400407AA according to here
https://parts.allmoparparts.com/aut...niversals-and-rear-axle-cat/differential-scat

fca probably has not released it for sale

i recently had my whole rear replaced under warranty, but my guess as to why they had to order a whole housing vs just replacing the failed parts is because setting up gears requires very skilled labor and would be a big ask for most dealership techs and its over all just faster and safer to do. Just remove the drive shaft, tires brakes, control arms, and shocks swap the axle and bolt it all back up. Fun fact when they order a new assembly, it does not come with new shafts
That’s really frustrating.

Sponsored

Jmonroe

First Name
Jay
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR and a '99 Camaro SS convertible I bought new
Occupation
Retired
On our last JK I had Eaton electric lockers installed. As they were not tied into the OEM system they could be activated independent of where the transfer case was. 2H, 4L or 4H I could activate one axle or both.

OP
OP

Kenten05

First Name
Ken
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Wrangler JL 2020
That would be ideal, but Eaton hasn’t yet released any lockers for the JL axles. The spline count is different.

Jeepjunkie

First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLU Sport
Vehicle Showcase
I’m patiently waiting for an M220 elocker for my sport axle. I have an Eaton elocker in my PR44 and have been happy with it.

If I have to I’ll instaff an arb locker in the rear.

OP
OP

Kenten05

First Name
Ken
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Wrangler JL 2020
Jeep Wrangler JL E-Locker for M220 axle 873BD237-CBF8-43DD-9740-398F6A18FA2F

Looks like they were available at a reasonable price less than a year ago.

Sponsored

JoyRider

First Name
Christian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLR, 1996 YJ
https://www.jlwranglerforums.com/forum/threads/eaton-e-locker-on-jl-rubicon.53487/#post-1164176

The guy who posted this is apparently married to the CFO of Eaton. I told him to have her get us an ETA.
Yes although shes the VP Finance / CFO for Eatons Vehicle Group not entire Eaton. Anyways, thx for the info on the actual axle name I gave her that and she has forwarded that to their aftermarket team. Lets see what comes back, Ill try to give you guys some info.

OP
OP

Kenten05

First Name
Ken
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Wrangler JL 2020
BUMP!

Wondering if anyone has tried to install this in the narrow rear D44?
Last I checked this product wasn't actually available. I ended up swapping out the axles.

wibornz

First Name
Ted
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.instagram.com
Vehicle(s)
JL Unlimited Rubicon
Occupation
Retired from Corrections....I have stories.
I live in Lansing Michigan and I have a Dana 44 complete rear axle with the locker with 4.10 gears from a Rubicon. The axle has 8 miles on it and it is in a crate. I bought it to get the sensor out of it. If you have a sport or a Sahara, you do not need the sensor that I removed as your Jeep will not have the software for the sensor. Evereything will still work. The wiring is about $80 to wire up the Locker.

I want 1800.

Jeep Wrangler JL E-Locker for M220 axle 1606003968060

ChattVol

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU 4 door
I live in Lansing Michigan and I have a Dana 44 complete rear axle with the locker with 4.10 gears from a Rubicon. The axle has 8 miles on it and it is in a crate. I bought it to get the sensor out of it. If you have a sport or a Sahara, you do not need the sensor that I removed as your Jeep will not have the software for the sensor. Evereything will still work. The wiring is about $80 to wire up the Locker.

I want 1800.

Jeep Wrangler JL E-Locker for M220 axle 1606003968060
Crazy that you bought a whole axle assembly just to pull out a little locker sensor. Unbelievable that FCA doesnt offer this sensor separately.
Sponsored