Sponsored

DynoMax muff. delete, still don't love the sound. Suggestions?

swflfireguy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLU Sahara
Occupation
Retired Fireman
Vehicle Showcase
Ok, So, the sound isn't great, but I don't hate it either. I am a fan of the stock muffler removal, as it has, for me, lowered the engine temp about 20°. I wouldn't mind replacing the cat back, but sound clips are tough to judge over a computer, and some of the hi-tuck rock-crawler setups are way too $$ for me.
Any suggestions on this are appreciated. TIA
Sponsored

blnewt

First Name
Brad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep JL V6 SportS, (Retired 74 CJ-5, 80 CJ-7)
Occupation
Just ask @cosine he knows!
Since you have a 4dr, scroll down this section for the thread w/ the flowmaster welded in prior to the Dynomax. If I had a 4dr I'd have done that already :)
I think that thread is in the V6 section though, but will still work AFAIK for the 4cyl.

OP
OP
swflfireguy

swflfireguy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLU Sahara
Occupation
Retired Fireman
Vehicle Showcase
I'd like to find something to just take the edge off the inital noise, after that the cruising sound is tolerable. Searching other threads, teh Borla touring one looks good too.

Caymanedge

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR
I just deleted the muffler with the Dyna pipe. It sounds like crap. Quiet at steady RPM but sounds like a Honda when on the gas.

I just ordered a round race muffler to install just after the resonator. The 2.75” pipe limits the options a lot.

I will follow up once completed.

Sponsored

Deleted member 43521

Caymanedge- looking forward to your results. I tried the muffler delete and it felt like I was looking for the nearest ricer.

cjmdwyer

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR 2.0 sting gray
Ya, I tried to give the muffler delete from Dynomax a chance. Had it on for a week and then took a trip down to Tucson and that was the last straw. Sounded like a 16 year old kid's fast & furious rice rocket...
Took it off, sent it back and just blacked out the original flat blacked the original with exhaust paint.

Deleted member 43521

Ya, I tried to give the muffler delete from Dynomax a chance. Had it on for a week and then took a trip down to Tucson and that was the last straw. Sounded like a 16 year old kid's fast & furious rice rocket...
Took it off, sent it back and just blacked out the original flat blacked the original with exhaust paint.
I did the exact same thing. I used bbq paint black. I got it on sale and it’s a flat black

Sponsored

OP
OP
swflfireguy

swflfireguy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLU Sahara
Occupation
Retired Fireman
Vehicle Showcase
^^^ You are correct, sir.
When I had my JK, I had a snorkel with the Pypes system, it was WAY TOO LOUD, IMHO.
The 2.0 isn' too bad but I'm looking to take that low tone down just a notch without spending big $$

Caymanedge

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR
As mentioned, I installed the pipe and hated the sound. I cut in a 2-3/4” race muffler I bought on eBay and it solved the issue. It is installed afte that factor6 resonator. It’s a little louder at idle than stock, but no issue when on the gas. Very happy. So like $120 for the delete pipe and $50 for a muffler and clamps.

Petey

First Name
Pete
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 jl sport manual
Ok, So, the sound isn't great, but I don't hate it either. I am a fan of the stock muffler removal, as it has, for me, lowered the engine temp about 20°. I wouldn't mind replacing the cat back, but sound clips are tough to judge over a computer, and some of the hi-tuck rock-crawler setups are way too $$ for me.
Any suggestions on this are appreciated. TIA
Lowered engine temps by 20F? how was that measured?
Sponsored