Sponsored

Dynatrac EnduroSport Lift - wheels/tires needed immediately?

From0toJ

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Firecracker Sahara (ordered 4/16/18, received 5/12/18), 2015 QX60, 2012 5.0, 2013 Prius V (hers)
Morning all - forgive me for this question - after much research, I have decided (albeit 1.5 years later) on a lift kit for Wruby, and it will be the Enduro kit. Based on cost, and the fact that everyone has their thresholds, I know that if I got the kit, plus the wheels and tires I really want, it will be an almost $5k total proposition. :( So, I am hoping that I can do these things in steps or segments.

So the question is - can I go ahead and install the Enduro kit and punt on the new/bigger wheels and tires till later? Other than aesthetics (it would probably look stupid... ugh...), are there any detrimental effects to running the stock wheels and tires on my Sahara, while I wait till maybe Xmas/bday for my wife to get me my 35's and new wheels?

Thanks.

edit: Would I have to get an alignment after the lift install even if using stock wheels and tires, and then get another alignment yet again once I do get the wheels and tires?
Sponsored

Last edited:

Token

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR
There's nothing mechanically wrong with lifting and driving on stock wheels and tires.

If finances are that tight you may want to reconsider doing either until you square away sufficient cash for both.

If something else comes up along the way, you don't want to be caught out.

Maverick909

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.instagram.com
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sporticon, 1976 GMC K15 Lifted on 35's
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Electrician/ Industrial Furnace MFG
Clubs

nothing wrong with lifting before wheels and tires. i did that myself. I really hate using credit for upgrades. Call me old school but if i can not buy it with cash and its not an emergency than i do not need it tell i save for it. Good way to stay out of debt or id have a full rock crawling jeep in the first two months of owning it. lol! Another Plus is i like to feel how each thing changed the jeep instead of putting a ton of things and going yup its a different ride and if you have troubles with steering or anything like that when you do it one thing at a time you know that the last thing installed is more than likely the problem.! Enjoy that new lift!

OP
OP
From0toJ

From0toJ

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Firecracker Sahara (ordered 4/16/18, received 5/12/18), 2015 QX60, 2012 5.0, 2013 Prius V (hers)
Absolutely fine to lift now and add wheels and tires later. No issues at all.
There's nothing mechanically wrong with lifting and driving on stock wheels and tires.

If finances are that tight you may want to reconsider doing either until you square away sufficient cash for both.

If something else comes up along the way, you don't want to be caught out.
Thanks to both for the feedback - it's not necessarily "tight finances" like that... it's just that the boss (wife) ok's the purchases when spaced out, versus one lump sum. LOL. I know I know... but as you know, happy wife happy life.

edit: Would I have to get an alignment after the lift install even if using stock wheels and tires, and then get another alignment yet again once I do get the wheels and tires?

Sponsored

irishtim7

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
19 JL Wrangler Rubicon, 02 BMW M3, 91 BMW E30
Thanks to both for the feedback - it's not necessarily "tight finances" like that... it's just that the boss (wife) ok's the purchases when spaced out, versus one lump sum. LOL. I know I know... but as you know, happy wife happy life.

No. You won't need an alignment after the lift or after adding wheels and tires. You're not touching the tierods or the control arms. You may have to adjust the drag link to center the steering wheel, but I didn't.

Chocolate Thunder

First Name
Jeremy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon
Build Thread
Link
I’d suggest to always check alignment when making any alterations to the suspension. If you’re in spec, great. But you might not be.

GhostDivers

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR 6sp, 2014 X5 35d, 2020 JLR 6sp
As @Chocolate Thunder and the others here have called out...these are independent of each other. I did wheels and tires, then the lift. I'd like to do everything I'd like to do to the Jeep now! But, cost play's a role and honestly, putting it together overtime spreads out the fun. Plus, you have a better perspective of what each mods does (good or bad).

I also agree with @irishtim7 that there is no need for an alignment for either - quick drag link adjustment(s) if needed and call it a day. Well, until tomorrow when you realize what the next mod you want is....

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU Moab, Audi Q5, Porsche 911 Turbo, Ducati Hyperstrada
Just FYI, I put the Endurosport lift on my Moab with stock wheels (with 33" KO2's) and ended up needing spacers because the rear swaybar links didn't have enough clearance. Probably not an issue with Rubicons since their axles are wider but just be aware to check this.

Jeff

D60

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL
Just FYI, I put the Endurosport lift on my Moab with stock wheels (with 33" KO2's) and ended up needing spacers because the rear swaybar links didn't have enough clearance. Probably not an issue with Rubicons since their axles are wider but just be aware to check this.

Jeff
@rustyshakelford has devised a way to just mount the links inboard, it solves this.

Or you can get spacers on Amazon cheap. I'm running 1.5" spacers

Sponsored

rustyshakelford

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Brett
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR-8 speed 2020 F-350
@rustyshakelford has devised a way to just mount the links inboard, it solves this.

Or you can get spacers on Amazon cheap. I'm running 1.5" spacers
Yes. The only thing to watch is frame clearance. The end link can rub slightly on the frame at full flex. Synergy just released spacers that are 1 3/4” and there is no need to grind the studs down now

Brett

D60

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL
Yes. The only thing to watch is frame clearance. The end link can rub slightly on the frame at full flex. Synergy just released spacers that are 1 3/4” and there is no need to grind the studs down now

Brett
After cutting my studs on the passenger side I glanced at my OEM Rubi alloys and noticed they have relief for longer studs LOL. So I didn't cut the driver side.

NOW, in a bind if someone has to lend me a 5x5 steelie or something on the trail I may regret that all of my studs aren't flush with WMS

rustyshakelford

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Brett
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR-8 speed 2020 F-350
After cutting my studs on the passenger side I glanced at my OEM Rubi alloys and noticed they have relief for longer studs LOL. So I didn't cut the driver side.

NOW, in a bind if someone has to lend me a 5x5 steelie or something on the trail I may regret that all of my studs aren't flush with WMS
When we install the original spacers we grind it down just before it hits threads. The smooth tip is what we sacrifice. That leaves them as functional as stock

Brett

OP
OP
From0toJ

From0toJ

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
No. You won't need an alignment after the lift or after adding wheels and tires. You're not touching the tierods or the control arms. You may have to adjust the drag link to center the steering wheel, but I didn't.
I’d suggest to always check alignment when making any alterations to the suspension. If you’re in spec, great. But you might not be.
As @Chocolate Thunder and the others here have called out...these are independent of each other. I did wheels and tires, then the lift. I'd like to do everything I'd like to do to the Jeep now! But, cost play's a role and honestly, putting it together overtime spreads out the fun. Plus, you have a better perspective of what each mods does (good or bad).

I also agree with @irishtim7 that there is no need for an alignment for either - quick drag link adjustment(s) if needed and call it a day. Well, until tomorrow when you realize what the next mod you want is....
Got it. Thank you. So summary, most likely no alignment needed, but doublecheck regardless.

As far as drag link adjustment for steering, I guess I’ll need to research that... this is my first Jeep so I don’t think I’ve ever adjusted one before. Any advice as to how-to?

Thanks again

Jeff
Hmmmm... I have a Sahara. Do you know if this is the case for the Sahara as well?

Has anyone with a Sahara installed an Endurosport lift kit and share their experience?
Sponsored