Jeep&dogs

Jeep&dogs

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUr
What’s even worse is I am actually a licensed pyrotechnic and I do it on the side. I am doing a few shows this weekend obviously and the thought of lightning this Jeep up worse than what the bomb squad did the other day in LA is running rampant through my head! 😂
Sponsored

OP
OP
Jeep&dogs

Jeep&dogs

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUr
One of the dealers we work with just got this off the truck today! Took it for a ride and went down my street I could get the Jeep to shimmy on every time……guess what? 75 MPH and absolutely no shimmy. If they were allowed to sell this it would be in my garage tonight!

D6DC6EC3-26F9-469C-AF0E-0819FCD3ED42.jpeg

453079AC-B198-4F58-BECF-31E380BC7B73.jpeg

BF1FD036-0FDB-4A5E-A804-F023B9CCDA32.jpeg

B48BB44E-2828-42A0-929C-87115F611A93.jpeg

4DEC11FC-CA7C-4FCA-B564-F868B663C5FA.jpeg

T Town

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Spaceship
Dude, people here are going to flame you for even thinking that.

OP
OP
Jeep&dogs

Jeep&dogs

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUr
Dude, people here are going to flame you for even thinking that.
Hell let them, I tell you what if you drive one you probably wouldn’t want to get back in your Jeep! I would have left mine there if they would have been able to sell it! $48k loaded with everything but Leather.

Sponsored

OP
OP
Jeep&dogs

Jeep&dogs

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUr
I paid 50K + for mine, put close to 7K if not more into it to get it to drive HALFWAY decent,and that Bronco drives better off the lot than my Jeep ever did. I will gladly give up the few inches of articulation from the IFS to not have my ass pucker every time I see a bump coming up in the road.

SmoothJeepOperator

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Wrangler Sport
I paid 50K + for mine, put close to 7K if not more into it to get it to drive HALFWAY decent,and that Bronco drives better off the lot than my Jeep ever did. I will gladly give up the few inches of articulation from the IFS to not have my ass pucker every time I see a bump coming up in the road.
So you are dealing with the shimny again? Ford claims it has better articulation than the Wrangler.

Would you mod your bronco? I would think all bets are off once you start fooling around with lifts and stuff like alot of us do with the Jeep. Although ifs I guess means shimmy shouldn't be a problem regardless.

OP
OP
Jeep&dogs

Jeep&dogs

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUr
So you are dealing with the shimny again? Ford claims it has better articulation than the Wrangler.

Would you mod your bronco? I would think all bets are off once you start fooling around with lifts and stuff like alot of us do with the Jeep. Although ifs I guess means shimmy shouldn't be a problem regardless.
Yes it’s there again, not as bad but it’s back. I lifted a few F-150’s back in early 2000 and never had a issue. But the Bronco actually sat about 1/2-3/4 higher than my Jeep with a 2” lift and 35’s. For what I do I don’t think I would touch it honestly.

OP
OP
Jeep&dogs

Jeep&dogs

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUr
So after talking with them and telling them last week The drivers side have roughly .050 vertical play and passenger side is about .020. I was making due with a caliper because I didn’t have a dial indicator handy so it’s not 100% accurate. They told me today that that was “on the edge” of their spec and would recommend rebuilding them. These things have 5k on them. So now I guess I will be pulling it apart again.

MntsRcalln

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR, 2011 Dodge Ram Bighorn, 1990 Totoya 4x4 Mod
So after talking with them and telling them last week The drivers side have roughly .050 vertical play and passenger side is about .020. I was making due with a caliper because I didn’t have a dial indicator handy so it’s not 100% accurate. They told me today that that was “on the edge” of their spec and would recommend rebuilding them. These things have 5k on them. So now I guess I will be pulling it apart again.
That's nuts after 5k

Sponsored

spurly

First Name
Zach
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Bright White JLUR
Can’t tell you how F@#$#$& happy I am to have to pull the front of this thing apart AGAIN.
Well this is upsetting. I just installed Dynatrac Ball Joints this week. Hopefully they last a little longer.

OP
OP
Jeep&dogs

Jeep&dogs

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUr
Well this is upsetting. I just installed Dynatrac Ball Joints this week. Hopefully they last a little longer.
I have been fighting the same issues as you for the last year also. Jeep was fine with 35’s and no lift, did the lift and started with a wobble/shimmy. Replaced just about everything and it was
Livable for the last 5 months, started back up again and I found the play in the joints. Should have the rebuild kit next week and hopefully have some time to install them.

One thing I noticed was just about everyone that did the Dynatrac joints commented on how tight they were when they got them, mine honestly were never “tight” you could easily move all of them with your hands when I took them out of the box. I never thought twice because they were new. Who knows, maybe these had some slop in them brand new.

KansasJL

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Sting Grey JLUR
Vehicle Showcase
I’ve been really thinking about replacing the knuckles and ball joints. I was hoping these ball joints were going to be worth the money.

OP
OP
Jeep&dogs

Jeep&dogs

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUr
I’ve been really thinking about replacing the knuckles and ball joints. I was hoping these ball joints were going to be worth the money.
I was pretty surprised to see the movement in them honestly. There seems to be some difference of opinion if there should be play or not. On a TJ I know they said play in the upper.050-.060 was OK but there should be none in the lower. I can’t find any spec for the Jl and the upper and lower are the same type joint so I would think you should have no play. Dynatrac says “some” is OK but said mine were on the edge. I asked at least 10 times what their spec was and couldn’t get a answer. I even asked if they could send me a copy of the spec and I literally didn’t get any answers. They keeps saying that their engineers needed to see the play to determine if it was excessive or not. ? I guess we will see how the rebuilds are.
The next problem is you need loctite 308 to attach the boot after rebuilding them, I can’t find anything in stock anywhere so I might be waiting on these for a while.
Sponsored